Horizontal I-Cord

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Nila wrote
on Jun 2, 2008 10:47 AM

Can anyone make head or tail out of this?

Horizontal I-Cord (RS) *K1f&b, k1, k2tog tbl, return 3 sts

from right needle to left needle; rep from * until, after returning

3 sts to left needle, there are 5 sts on left needle, end k1,

VDD, k1, return 2 sts to left needle, k2tog tbl—78 (90) sts

rem.

Vertical Double Decrease (VDD) Slip 2 sts as if to k2tog, k1,

pass slipped sts over knit st (centered double decrease).

I'm stymied! Confused

May the frost never afflict your spuds,

May your cabbage be free from worms,

May the crows never pick your haystack

If you inherit a donkey, may she be in foal.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 2, 2008 11:38 AM

Hi Nila....I think that what you are showing us is a method of joining I-cord as you make it so that it creates a finished edge. I've often used it eg: bottom of top down sleeves, around a neckline. Some of the above directions don't make total sense on their own, but I suspect w/ more info I could explain it better.

Not asking you to break copyright rules by posting the pattern of course...but can you tell me what pattern/book/magazine this is from? If I have it I can look myself. If not, perhaps you can give some more details about how it's being used + what this pattern is. Then I'll be glad to help you figure it out. Don't forget...even patterns in books have mistakes occasionally!!!

I'm in Canada too...Nova Scotia. Don't suppose you are in New Glasgow so this would be really easy to sort out!?!

Let me know if I can help,   Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Nila wrote
on Jun 2, 2008 12:08 PM

HI Andrea

I've made "vertical" i-cords before, but this one has me stumped.  It's from the "extra!, extra!" newsboy cap pattern in Knitscene, Fall 2006.  Complicating matters for me is that it is the second row of the pattern, rather than the last.  It forms the edge of the cap before knitting the headband.  I just purchased the pattern as a PDF, so I'm hoping that any errors have been corrected by now!

No, I'm a little further west than New Glasgow.  Ottawa, to be precise.  I'd love to be in New Glasgow though.  Would love to check out Fleece Artist and some rug hooking studios!  Fibre country!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 2, 2008 2:29 PM

Hi Nila

I do not have any Knitscene's...sorry. However I will check w/ the Library tomorrow + see if they have it. I took a look @ the pic of it under "projects" for that issue...but it's very dark = you really can't see any detail. All else fails...we can ask someone (Sandi?) if it's OK for you to post the first 2-3 rows w/o breaking copyright?

What about the designer; Annie Modesitt...does she have a blog/website that you could ask for help?

As to "Fiber country"...We live about a 2hr drive fr Halifax + Fleece Artist. Haven't been to Hlfx in several yrs. I have Enviro Illness quite badly as well as Fibromyalgia so that limits where I can go. We are actually hoping to sell our home soon + head westward to find somewhere I feel better. We want to see BC, but are very open to where we will end up living. We have a travel trailer so will take our time + hopefully stop @ lots of yarn shops along the way. My husband has been doing rug hooking for several yrs now so he won't mind too much!!!  He uses wool yarn rather than fabric strips.

Will let you know what I find...Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Nila wrote
on Jun 2, 2008 4:49 PM

HI Andrea

There's a good picture of the pattern at the Knitting Daily on-line store (that's where I bought the pattern -- I don't get KnitScene either).  But you can't really see the I-cord.  I'm going to experiment a bit and try to do a knit 1 through the front and below (i.e., the stitch below)rather than front and back, and see if that works.  This is actually the first instruction in 30 years of knitting that has stumped me!  Maybe I need a refresher Surprise 

If you're looking for a great community for people with Enviro Illness, you should check out Wakefield, Quebec.  A great alternative community about 45 minutes north of Ottawa!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Nila wrote
on Jun 2, 2008 8:09 PM

I think I solved it.  After fiddling with it a bit, it seemed really obvious.  You knit through the front and back of the first stitch, resulting in two stitches on the right needle.  Then you knit 1 (three stitches on right needle), then you knit two together through the back loops (four stitches on right needle).  You then place the last three stitches back on the left needle, as you would with a "regular" I-cord, and start over.  I think the mention of "I-cord" had me looking for something else.  The finished result is a bit of a raised ridge with knit stitches appearing to lay sideways. 

I hope I can get through the rest of the pattern without any more hitches.  Thanks for your attempts to help, AndreaSmile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS