How do I correct "curled" edges on knitted scarf?

This post has 35 Replies | 8 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
lleeharris Embarrassed [:$] wrote
on Feb 13, 2011 7:14 AM

I knitted a scarf for my granddaughter but the side edges curled up.  Is there a fix for this?  Obviously, I didn't use a pattern, I just picked up my needles and yarn and started to knit - it's beautiful and I want to give it to her but she can't possibly wear it the way it is now.  Thanks for anything you can offer here.  Embarrassed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Feb 13, 2011 8:40 AM

lleeharris:
I knitted a scarf for my granddaughter but the side edges curled up.  Is there a fix for this? 

Hi lleeharris,

I am going to say that you very likely used a stocking stitch (knit the right side and purl the wrong side) for this scarf.  The for sure way to not have a scarf's edges curl is to use a garter stitch for the first 4-5 stitches at the beginning and end of each row.  However, since the scarf has already been knitted, it would now be a shame to rip it all out.

If you know how to crochet, I would simply crochet a single crochet stitch all the way around the scarf or a double crochet stitch.  If you don't know how to crochet, then simply get the longest circular needle you have and pick up the stitches down one edge of the scarf and knit it back and forth twice.  Repeat on the other edge.

Good luck with this.  There will likely be other suggestions coming from other knitters on this subject and that is all good.  We have all individual experiences that have worked for us.  You will choose which ever solution makes sense to you.  Your granddaughter will love whatever you do to fix the scarf.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 13, 2011 2:56 PM

Hi, Ileeharris:

You can knit or crochet a trim edge with the yarn you worked with or with a contrast one.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 13, 2011 6:05 PM

Hi ilee,

Here is a link to help you see how to do the reverse single crochet stitch which would be just the simple way to fix your above mentioned curling edges.  http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa112997.htm  It give you printed instructions, a visual drawing and a video link on the page. 

Hope you can use it. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Feb 16, 2011 2:30 PM

ZassZ, i read a lot of your posts here and all i can say is that you are a great person cause you want to help us and solve our problems!  Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 17, 2011 11:29 AM

Hi, Catharine!,

Thank you for your reply. I do really like to help when I know the answer. Now you know you all can count on me.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 17, 2011 12:31 PM

CatharineBaron:
ZassZ, i read a lot of your posts here and all i can say is that you are a great person cause you want to help us and solve our problems!  Smile

Hi there CatharineBaron, 

I wanted to acknowledge your encouraging post and say to you, thanks!  The compliment is very much appreciated by me.  Hope lleeharris has fixed her scarf to the way she would like it to look.   

Nice picture of you and do you knit? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
lleeharris wrote
on Feb 18, 2011 3:14 AM

Thank you for your input - it was extremely helpful (as were ALL of the replys) and my problem has been corrected.  Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 3
lleeharris wrote
on Feb 18, 2011 3:16 AM

Thank you - problem has been solved and all of the replys were great!  Now I have a lot of helpful ways to correct this/stop it in the future.  Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
nreed54 wrote
on Nov 27, 2012 9:43 AM

Hi Zoe,

I just found this forum yesterday, I have signed up to join.

This may not be the correct place to post this message but I wanted to "Thank You" and let you know that this is the only place I found an answer to my problem.  I am a new knitter and had the same problem as  lleeharris wrote about. and looked quite a few places for an answer, they all said, what to do so it didn't curl when you start, but not how to fix it when you are already done.  Heaven knows I don't need anymore practice "Frogging" Wink

Anyway to make a long story short, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the solution!

Nance

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mugshoney wrote
on Dec 2, 2012 10:40 AM

thanks to leeharris for asking this question & to zoe for answering it.  i just finished a shawl & i "changed" the pattern a little. unfortunately, my change resulted in a curled edge as i cast off!   i was SO GLAD to find my exact question & good answers quickly.  wish me luck on my "fix"  God bless all knitters, especially those who share!  meg

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 3, 2012 1:00 PM

Hi Nance,

Well hope you will continue to enjoy.  What are you working on now? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 3, 2012 1:05 PM

Hi Meg, 

Good answers to questions are all over this site.  In addition to the above solutions, adding some beading on an edge that is curling can help, depending on the weight of your yarn, size of beads, how much curling there is to the edge.  That can be done at the beginning of project or the end. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mugshoney wrote
on Dec 3, 2012 1:30 PM

Love the bead idea. thanks! 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
MrsConnor12 wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 7:59 PM

Hey there! I'm pretty new to knitting... Like really new! I just knitted my first scarf (in the round) and the edges are curling. I was super excited to find all of your solutions, I just have a question. What do you mean by "pick up the stitches from the edge of the scarf and knit them back and forth twice"? Thanks so much for your help!

Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS