How do I correct "curled" edges on knitted scarf?

This post has 35 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 29, 2013 9:15 PM

Hi Mari, 

Do you think you could put up a pic of your scarf so we can "see" what you have so far?  Are you using wool yarn?  If so, you can block it. 

If you are still knitting stockinette, but don't want curl, then you can make it double.  Knit it twice as wide, fold it in half, seam it up.  Or, cast on for double the width but use a circular needle and join the first round to knit the whole scarf in the round.   You'll get double thickness or a tube and then seam the both ends or put fringe on ends so you don't have to sew the ends.  Just a suggestion for future. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Mari06 wrote
on Jan 29, 2013 9:29 PM

Here you go! I layed out the scarf in one picture so that you could see the pattern, and the other picture shows how much it is curling naturally.

Thank you!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 29, 2013 11:35 PM

Hi Mari,

Wow you weren't kidding.  I see it is really wanting to curl because of the stockinette.  Even though you did the knit stitch, slip stitch.  Sometimes the only answer are the ones above already suggested and at the very beginning of the post, and if they don't stop the curl, another solution is to put a fabric lining on.  Is it out of the question that you could still wear it this way?  I did one in stockinette that rolled but I wanted it to roll on purpose.  I'll show it to you.  Wait a sec, I'll get the pic. 

Since it rolls it tucks in around the neck just enough to fill in the gap between the collar of a jacket of coat and the neck area.  It really is comfy.   So don't chalk it up as a loss.  It really is a nice scarf and you did learn while you were knitting it.  Right? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
mamtaaccha wrote
on Jan 30, 2013 8:25 PM

Here at this link u will find free xxl size patterns www.abcknittingpatterns.com 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 30, 2013 8:34 PM

Hey there, thanks for those links, but this topic is regarding how to correct curled edges on knitted scarf.  You may be responding to someone's post where they won't see the answer to their question.  You could start a topic for xtra size patterns.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 30, 2013 8:46 PM

hi mamtaaccha,

i am following your direction for measurement.  Are you saying once you get your body size measurement, multiply that number by 4, then divide by 2 and that is the correct number of stitches to cast on? 

Page 3 of 3 (36 items) < Previous  1 2 3 | RSS