Looking for a "knitting etc. "retreat.

This post has 20 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 13
GGBlackman wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 1:29 AM

I would love to find a 1or 2 or even 3 day knitting seminar to "get away" and concentrate on refreshing my skills.  Once an avid knitter, now I can hardly understand written patterns.  Does anyone know of such a happening in the greater NY/NJ/PA area?  The local shops are not offering what I am looking for.  I have no problem traveling and would love an intense getaway that concentrates on knitting and maybe I could even learn to crochet!

Many thanks

Gail B

Not Ranked
Posts 1
weaving1 wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 2:03 PM

I would love to hold such an event either at my homestead or in a nearby facility.  I've never held an event longer than an afternoon here though so I might need some help with brainstorming.  Would you be interested?

alpacaweaver@yahoo.com

Not Ranked
Posts 13
GGBlackman wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 3:09 PM

I would be interested as a participant.  Where are you located please?

GB

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 3:27 PM

Hi Gail,

I just heard about this one through a friend.  I believe you can get more info at Laura@creaitivefibersonline.com 860 669-9276 (toll free) or at 860 687-9931.  It's fri, sat, sun + one more Thurs. night (optional).  The Chesterfield Inn, one hour drive from Windsor, CT. 

If you ask for info you'll get a nice menu with a pic of premises and full description of events offered. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 13
GGBlackman wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 5:05 PM

Thank you...Sounds interesting but I can't help but wonder is the knitting classes are formal enough.  I really want to learn and perfect what I already can do.  Can you tell me how far from Northern NJ the Inn is?  I don't see a web site for the Inn.  Any more info about the actual knitting "classes" are appreciated.

Thanks so much

GB

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 5:25 PM

GB 

I really don't know any more info.  You can call the numbers above and/or go to the site below or read the pdf file giving more particulars about the retreat.  I am sure if you contact them they will send you a brochure or something to read on line through your email.  I don't live in the area so can't say about directions. 

http://www.creativefibersonline.com/  or http://www.creativefibersonline.com/Docs/2011_Spring_Retreat_Flyer_1.pdf

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 13
GGBlackman wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 5:44 PM

Thanks for the help.  this getting harder than I thought.  Not finding much on Google or Bing searches.  There are many shops in my area (Great NYC/NJ) to be sure but its hard to get dedicated time...too many interruptions  with customers etc.    Years ago when I was really into knitting instructionw was different.  I even worked in a shop to better my skills, but we individualized patterns for each customer.  I also find that when buying the yarn, usually upscale and expensive, one still has to purchase a whole patttern book for an extra $15 or so.  My experience was: Purchase the yarn, pattern was given to you with changes made per your measurements.  I have been to shops were the salepeople could not lenghten an armhole  or change a neckline.  I can still do that but am rusty in the actual knitting process..been a long time with a Coporate career in between.  Any one in the Essex or Morristown NJ area iterested in giving private lessons?

Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 13
GGBlackman wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 5:46 PM

Thanks for the help.  this getting harder than I thought.  Not finding much on Google or Bing searches.  There are many shops in my area (Great NYC/NJ) to be sure but its hard to get dedicated time...too many interruptions  with customers etc.    Years ago when I was really into knitting instruction was different.  I even worked in a shop to better my skills, but we individualized patterns for each customer.  I also find that when buying the yarn, usually upscale and expensive, one still has to purchase a whole pattern book for an extra $15 or so.  My experience was: Purchase the yarn, pattern was given to you with changes made per your measurements.  I have been to shops were the salespeople could not lengthen an armhole  or change a neckline.  I can still do that but am rusty in the actual knitting process..been a long time with a Corporate career in between.  Any one in the Essex or Morristown NJ area interested in giving private lessons?

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 6, 2011 2:38 PM

Dear GGB,

Hi, oh no!  I agree, that can be disappointing.  I would try you local library.  Most of the branches around have a knitting group that meets on Saturdays around 10 a.m.  All degrees of skill are welcome.  Maybe you could meet some local knitters that way and get some private one on one instruction all free.  Most knitters are so happy to asssist.  Start out by getting a list of the library telephone numbers and start calling to find out what they have to offer.  You can get the numbers online from your local library website. 

Not Ranked
Posts 13
GGBlackman wrote
on Mar 7, 2011 7:13 AM

Thank you

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 7, 2011 8:23 AM

Hi GG If your looking for a treat yourself to new adventures knitting retreat may I suggest checking this out www.downtownknitcollective.ca and going to the knitters frolic. A 2 day event with vendor and seminar that are resonably priced. You may also want to look at how the collective is set up as it's organized by knitters and not shops. If you have some interested people in your area it might work well in your favor.

Lily

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sragan1 wrote
on Mar 7, 2011 8:24 AM

Funny I should see your post!

I was surfing thru Ravelry.com over the weekend and found out about the following:

Unwind - A Fiber Arts Getaway in the Mountains

http://unwindgetaway.com/index.html

It will be held the last weekend in April, I think, at Blowing Rock, NC 

First time to be held.

This would also be a good escape from the city also. 

This came up when I searched for "groups" in my local area. Entire state was more like it.  LOL. I haven't broached the idea to my husband yet, and I am still at the  "just brousing, not purchasing yet" stage.

Have fun going thru the website.

Star

Jacksonville, NC

Not Ranked
Posts 13
GGBlackman wrote
on Mar 7, 2011 8:50 AM

WOW-Toronto would be a great "getaway" for me..Have to "up" my Passport tho...I think I can cross over (hmmm) w Drivers License as in the past, but undertstand getting back into The States can be problematic.  Thank you so much for that information.

Gail B

Not Ranked
Posts 13
GGBlackman wrote
on Mar 7, 2011 8:52 AM

Thanks..that sounds interesting and I like NC.  I will check the site as well as Ravelry

GB

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 7, 2011 12:44 PM

GB,

After seeing the info on Toronto, I just had to reminisce about the last trip there.   We enjoyed so much visiting in Toronto.  It was a great time and this makes me want to go back!  I would love to check out the shop in NC too.  For now I am staying close to home but hopefully you can get away and hope you enjoy! 

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS