Stupid pattern question?

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 5
JodyH wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 12:59 PM

This may be a really stupid question, but I have to ask it anyway. I'm new to knitting, and I'm making a very simple scarf. The pattern says to cast on 32 st + 2 st, and the pattern is repeating 4k, 4p all the way across. If I cast on 34, then I end up having 2 extra stitches left over at the end of the row. Should I just cast on 32, or is there something else I'm supposed to be doing with the extra 2 stitches.

Thanks!!

JH

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 260
Tephra wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 1:14 PM

The two extra are probably selvedge stitches. If the pattern doesn't say what to do with them I'd probably slip the first stitch of the row and knit the last one.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
KathyJ@2 wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 1:15 PM

My guess is the 2 additional stitches are to give you smmother edges.  You should slip the 1st stitch as if to knit and knit the last stitch on all rows.  That generally keeps the piece from rolling.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
Jenna wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 2:29 PM

Hi JodyH - Not a stupid question, a thoughtlessly written pattern. 

Having been a trainer and supervisor, I know from experience it's pretty hard to write out comprehensive instructions for someone who knows little or maybe nothing about a tool or procedure.

Nonetheless, I think the writer was pretty lazy. S/he could have at least mentioned the selvedges (which would assume the user knows the term "selvedge" and how to make one).

Final point: You're smart enough to use the KD forum!

Hope life keeps you happily in stitches,

Jenna in Oakland, CA USA

Not Ranked
Posts 5
JodyH wrote
on Jun 7, 2008 7:46 AM

Thanks, everyone! After ripping it all out and starting over for the 5th time, it is finally starting to look like the photo! Big Smile

JH

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Boothacus wrote
on Jul 13, 2008 7:43 PM

often a pattern has a knit stictch at the beginning and end.  so it would be multiples of 8 plus (+) 2  . This like the selvage is just a little border to make things look better and more fininshed in appearance.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
smw wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 9:32 AM

Hi there,

just read your posting about the first knit stitch in every row.  I always knit the first stitch on the knit side and slip the first stitch on the purl side.  that way you have a guide when sewing the seams up and it gives a smooth finished look on the right side of the garment.  First time on this board.  Best wishes Susan, Canada

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS