Peaches and Cream...Sugar and Cream

This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Mar 21, 2011 4:10 PM

I recently bought a knitting book, Mason-Dixon Knitting, and they call for Peaches and Cream yarn. But when I go to any store that sells it, I find Sugar and Cream. Looks like the same thing and it's worsted weight (4). Is it the same thing? Did they change the name? I'm wanting to make the cover for a Swiffer.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 21, 2011 4:50 PM

Thursdays Child:
Peaches and Cream yarn. But when I go to any store that sells it, I find Sugar and Cream. Looks like the same thing and it's worsted weight (4). Is it the same thing?

Hi Thursdays Child,

Any research that I come up with state they are both 100% cotton and are both 4ply yarn.  As far as I can see, they are of the same composition and the same everything other than the name.  You can purchase the Peaches and Cream at  Annies Attic and the Sugar and Cream at Mary Maxim (or your LYS).  I think that  the Peaches and Cream is newer than the Sugar and Cream???

As long as the color in the yarn doesnt run when wet, there should be no problem knitting a cover for the Swiffer.  Good luck with this!

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Mar 21, 2011 5:30 PM

Thanks! I usually shop at Michael's since I get good coupons by e-mail and in the sale ad each week. Especially good since I've gotten hooked on knitting socks.

The label for Sugar and Cream says it's machine wash and dry so it shouldn't run. Will try it and see. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 21, 2011 5:55 PM

Hi,

I have purchased the Lily Sugar 'n Cream at both Michaels and Joanns.  I also have looked at the Peaches and Creme site which I thought was helpful to see all the colors they make.  Just checking the site, I see that the prices are going up after April 1.  I like looking at all the colors on one screen here.  http://elmore-pisgah.com/quickshop930.htm 

It is 100% cotton and 4-ply worsted weight, standard yarn weight 4 as Zoe said.    I like using it for making cotton envelope bags or drawstring bags.  I know some like to use it for dish cloths. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 21, 2011 6:12 PM

ZassZ:
I like using it for making cotton envelope bags or drawstring bags.  I know some like to use it for dish cloths. 

Hi ZassZ,

I am madly looking for a knitting book in among my yarn stash!  no success but  I do have some of the Lily Sugar n Cream yarn balls in my stash.  Mom makes lots of dish clothes out of this yarn.  They are all good.  She also uses them as gifts.  We have lots of relatives who dont do any yarn crafts and they are always wanting these things.  A swiffer cover is a very good project to do with cotton yarns.  Yes

Things are going good up north here!  Spring has sprung  a leak in my ceiling!  oopsy, the local carpenter will come out once the snow is gone to have a look and see what is going on.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 21, 2011 6:44 PM

Hi Zoe, 

Well don't let those rain drops fall on your head!

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
margrue wrote
on Mar 31, 2011 6:03 PM

They are two very similar cotton yarns made by two different companies. They are interchangeable.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
anjelearn wrote
on Apr 21, 2011 4:14 AM

Some are similar and some are not, but in my situation, I enjoyed having this.

modern bar stools | modern decor

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
Amontillada wrote
on Apr 21, 2011 8:52 AM

They're also good for caps for babies (including premature babies, who are so small they can lose a great deal of body heat from bare heads).  Caps for donating to hospital nurseries are a great small project.  One of my family knits caps for preemies at a hospital that specifies cotton for these caps, to avoid static electricity. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 21, 2011 2:35 PM

Hi, 

Which Michael's do you like to go to? 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS