I'd love to download the new issue, but until Sockupied can be read on iPads I'm not interested. I hope an iPad version will be available soon -- either as a standalone app or through Zinio.
I really hope so too! I know "We're working on it" isn't a very satisfying answer for now... but we're working on it. I hope to have some good news soon!
1) I enjoyed the 1st issue of Sockupied. I found the 3 videos by the spot lighted designer a good use of the technology. Having said that, I found the way the videos were shot throughout the whole issue problematic.
2) In the 2nd issue, there is no designer featured in the same way. Stephanie van der Linden was the designer, but there were no videos of her or a special technique. I felt the second issue was a poor follow-up in the designer spotlight section.
3) I found the tech segments of cast-on and cast-off (issue 1 and 2) useful as they highlight complicated techniques and showed video demonstrations I will go back to repeatedly. Again, video technique poor!!
4) As mentioned by other people, annoyed by the number of adverts. The Sock Knitting Master Class Ad offered something different than an annoying ad, and I clicked on each of the designers to see their contributions to the book.
5) Liked the historical article about the argyles. Always enjoy a little knitting history, and the color your own argyle feature was cool.
Thanks so much for these thoughtful comments! This is really helpful information.
I would love to have interviewed Stephanie in person! It's exciting that there are great sock designers all around the world, and I hope we can come up with a way (rather than the buggy and nose-enlarging webcam options) to capture video from designers far, far away...
I bought Sockupied spring 2011 edition this morning. It was a lot of work getting it onto my computer and honestly I think it was ,,much to do about nothing". The only reason I bought it was because I was hoping to be able to pick up my spirit with it as I was feeling down. I just feel worse now.
Why are there not more patterns? I already bought Socks around the world and have knitted the pattern in this edition. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Dorkas/colorful-folklore
Why am I paying for all these advertisements?
The only good thing is the heel calculator... I hope. I still have not used it yet so it might not work or be a flop.
All in all I wished I had spent my time and money on something more worthwhile. I hate it when companies think I should give them my money without them giving me anything of worth in return.