"How do I"

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Shirley Roux wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 2:59 PM

How can patterns that are written for knitting in the round be reconfigured into a basic construction format? If this can be done I would love to know where to get the info on it. I loved the Maple Street Cardigan, a possible pick for the spring knit along, until I found out it was knitted in the round.  I have done several in the round and I do not enjoy them,nor do I like the finished product. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated! Shirley

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 312
on Mar 27, 2011 5:52 AM

A cardigan by definition can't be knit "in the round" as it is open in the front.  Are you sure that you aren't just knitting the item flat on circular needles?  Usually when you work a cardigan "in the round" it just mean you are going across the left font/back/right front back and forth.

It beats making the left front, back and right front separately and then seeming  it all together.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 27, 2011 9:12 AM

Shirley Roux:
I loved the Maple Street Cardigan, a possible pick for the spring knit along, until I found out it was knitted in the round.

Hi Shirley,

Just from looking at the Maple Street Cardigan, it is knit from the top down and is not knitted in the round because of a front opening as per a cardigan.  Yes, it is knit on circular needles but will be knit back and forth.  When you get to the sleeves from the arm "hole" down, it may be knit in the round to the cuff.  As I did not buy the pattern, I dont know for sure but this is generally how the construction of a sleeve is done. 

There are sweater pullovers that are knit in the round.  These do not have a front opening from the neckline down to the ribbing. Much the same way, socks are knit in the round with the only seam being at the toe.  There are very few sock patterns that are knit back and forth on only two straight needls.

I dont think you have anything to worry about in regards to knitting the Maple Street Cardigan in the round.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Shirley Roux wrote
on Mar 27, 2011 10:32 AM
Thank you Zoe for answering my email. However, I realize that I actually mis-spoke myself. I am interested in changing a top down pattern to a bottom up pattern. Can this be done? If so is there some site or book that can help me with this?
Sorry about the previous confusion! Shirley
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 27, 2011 10:54 AM

Shirley Roux:
I am interested in changing a top down pattern to a bottom up pattern. Can this be done? If so is there some site or book that can help me with this?

Hi Shirley,

No worries!!  we will frog your first post, chuckles here.  I am not sure how to convert a top down to a bottom up cardigan.  I imagine it can be done though.  The Maple Street Cardigan has raglan sleeves.  So in keeping with the pattern style, if you find another raglan sleeve pattern knit from the bottom up, then there should be no difficulty in making a tweeked version of this cardigan.  The ruffle is made by simply picking up stitches from top to bottom along one of the knitted stitch columns and knitting it.  And the ribbing and cuffs, you can figure out from looking at the photos.  It is also on Ravelry.  You can go there to see if anyone there tweeked it to go bottoms up rather than top down.  Of course, the sleeves need to be knit and ready to go on the main body to get the slants up the yoke sections! 

The best site that comes to mind with a lot of sweaters is Lion Brand.  They give you the patterns for free if you sign up and register with them (BTW, this too has no cost).  www.lionbrand.com    Or you can go to www.knittingpatterncentral.com  for more free patterns.

I hope this helps you out in your bottoms up quest!  Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 27, 2011 11:01 AM

Shirley Roux:
top down pattern to a bottom up pattern.

Hi Shirley, its me again,

I found this site and think it may be something you are interested in.  You simply need to put in your own dimentions/numbers from another pattern and this one will do all the math stuff for you.  It is for a simple raglan sleeved cardigan knit from the bottom up.  Let me know what you think.  She made a man's sweater and used those figures for it but she says you put your own numbers in for your own sizes.

http://www.thedietdiary.com/knittingfiend/Raglan/ManlyCardigan.html 

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS