THE OFFICIAL MAPLE STREET CARDIGAN KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 458 Replies | 27 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,477
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Apr 8, 2011 1:24 PM

The Maple Street Cardigan squeaked by the Lace Saddle Tee, so it's the official knit-along for spring! I love this pattern and I love knitting cardigans, so I'm thrilled.

The Maple Street Cardigan is available in the Interweave Store or in the Fall 2009 issue of Interweave Knits.

Here are the pattern details:

Finished Size 33 3⁄4 (371⁄2, 41 3⁄4, 44 1⁄2, 48)" bust circumference, buttoned. Cardigan shown measures 33 3⁄4", modeled with a little negative ease.

Yarn Classic Elite Posh (70% silk, 30% cashmere; 125 yd [115 m]/50 g): #930521 hydrangea (MC), 6 (7, 8, 8, 9) skeins. Classic Elite Fresco (60% wool, 30% baby alpaca, 10% angora; 164 yd [151 m]/50 g): #5331 periwinkle (CC), 1 skein.

Needles Body and sleeves-size 7 (4.5 mm): 16" and 24" circulars (cir) and set of double-pointed (dpn). Bands—size 6 (4 mm). Ruffles—size 8 (5 mm). Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.

Notions Markers (m); stitch holders or waste yarn; tapestry needle; six 1⁄2" buttons.

Gauge 18 sts and 26 rows = 4" in St st on smaller needles.

Here's the schedule:

4/8-4/15: Gather materials and swatch, swatch, swatch!
4/16-4/30: Knit yoke.
5/1-5/22: Knit body.
5/23-6/13: Knit sleeves.
6/14-6/28: Finishing.

I'm going to make a couple of adjustments to the pattern: shorter sleeves and a longer torso, so I'll need a little more yarn, probably about 300 more yards. 

I'm not sure which yarn I'll be using. I want this to work for summer, so I think I'll look for a cotton blend or some similar type of blend.

Have fun!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 2:07 PM

A nice challenge. I love knitting from the top down, and raglans. I will be making a longer sweater with *positive* ease Stick out tongue

Now to find some yarn...

Not Ranked
Posts 8
h.wood wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 2:10 PM

I am very excited about this one. Love ruffles!!.

What color are you doing bessT?

Hayley Wood

Not Ranked
Posts 8
h.wood wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 2:14 PM

Does anyone know if this is printed in a book/mag? or do we need to buy the epattern?

thanks!

-Hayley

Hayley Wood

Not Ranked
Posts 8
h.wood wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 2:16 PM

answering my own question ... haha

it is in:

Interweave Knits, Fall 2009

h.wood:

Does anyone know if this is printed in a book/mag? or do we need to buy the epattern?

thanks!

-Hayley

Hayley Wood

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
vehuddle wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 2:20 PM

I voted for this cardigan and only had the yarn for this project in my stash, so I started working on it a few days ago.  Already down to the arm holes.  I am using Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light in a blue heather color  #4288 and it is working up quickly.  I will need to make it longer than the pattern since I am long waisted and may not have enough yarn for the ruffles - will determine that later. I should be done by the end of April, so I am way ahead on this one!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 2:29 PM

h.wood:

I am very excited about this one. Love ruffles!!.

What color are you doing bessT?

I don't know yet Big Smile and I'm not sure of the ruffle on me, but I'll give it a try!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
dagmar07 wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 2:46 PM

Hm - I waited for the voting result, hoping it would be the Maple Street Cardigan Smile ... but now I think I have to close my eyes to this KAL and first of all get other things done - a hoodie for my son and a shawlette for my daughter ... can anyone put some hours to my days please? Cool

But I will follow you and join as soon as possible.

Happy knitting!

Dagmar

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 3:15 PM

Kathleen Cubley:
I'm going to make a couple of adjustments to the pattern: shorter sleeves and a longer torso, so I'll need a little more yarn, probably about 300 more yards. 

I'm not sure which yarn I'll be using. I want this to work for summer, so I think I'll look for a cotton blend or some similar type of blend.

I'm with you Kathleen...shorter sleeves and longer body.  Not sure what yarn I will use, but agree on the summer blend...and ruffles...hmmm, looks like those can be figured out toward the end in any coordinated yarn! Maybe go for something that could be worked as a coordinated shell!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 3:26 PM

"The Maple Street Cardigan is available in the Interweave Store or in the Fall 2009 issue of Interweave Knits."   from Kathleen Cubley.

h.wood:
Does anyone know if this is printed in a book/mag? or do we need to buy the epattern

Hi Hayley,

I quoted from Kathleen's first post about the KAL.  If you dont have the Interweave Knits Fall 2009 copy of the magazine, perhaps your library does and you may borrow it?  It may also be available in the IK store as back issues.  But if you do buy the pattern, you can print it off as many times as you like in order to write down all the tweeks you may put into it.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 38
All2HimIO wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 4:00 PM

Count me in as well.  I have never tried ruffles, I don't know how that will work out.  I may be making this for a granddaughter for Christmas - not sure yet - that will definitely determine the type and color yarn I use.  

The cardi project, which was the 1st I ever attempted, was a lot of fun.  Looking forward to knitting along with all of you.  Not quite as much fun - but 'sorta' like being in a room with all my knitting friends.  I am so glad to get the helps.  Thanks for keeping these KALs going.

Yes

Mabel from Maryland

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 4:24 PM

I love the pattern and the idea of a cotton/cotton blend but am wondering how the ruffles would do?  Any thoughts?  Jeanie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 4:57 PM

JeanieH@6:

I love the pattern and the idea of a cotton/cotton blend but am wondering how the ruffles would do?  Any thoughts?  Jeanie

I think they would work up well in the cotton type yarns. The pattern specifies a larger size needle for the ruffles though I'm not sure how the two yarns she uses compare for gauge. I'll nose around and find out. So far I think I'm going to put my soft-toned red Berocco Remix to use for this sweater. It is recycled from non-wool fibres and it should be ok for the ruffles. If in doubt, try a sample ruffle from the stitch guide :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 7:15 PM

Yay, finally one that I voted for!  Guess I *have* to do this KAL then. :)  I've been wanting to try a top down project and this is very cute.  I just can't decide if I should try to make it for me or someone smaller and cuter.  LOL!   But, dang it, I never make anything for myself and I think it's about time.  I've also wanted something in a lavender or pink since I don't have either of those colors in my wardrobe.  Can't wait to shop for yarn!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 7:50 PM

Kathleen Cubley:
Gauge 18 sts and 26 rows = 4" in St st on smaller needles.

What does everyone think about the gauge being measured on SMALLER?  The body is worked in larger needles (size 7), only the front bands are worked in smaller (size 6), and ruffles in size 8. Do you think this is an error for our gauge swatch?

Page 1 of 31 (459 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS