THE OFFICIAL MAPLE STREET CARDIGAN KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 457 Replies | 27 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 7:52 PM

ArtfulSoul:

Kathleen Cubley:
Gauge 18 sts and 26 rows = 4" in St st on smaller needles.

What does everyone think about the gauge being measured on SMALLER?  The body is worked in larger needles (size 7), only the front bands are worked in smaller (size 6), and ruffles in size 8. Do you think this is an error for our gauge swatch?

BTW, I have posted a comment to Cecily about this on her Ravelry pattern page...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 8:06 PM

The yarn used in the pattern (Classic Elite Posh, Silk/Cashmere) is a worsted weight yarn with a gauge stated of 4.75 stitches per 1" on size 8.  If you get a similar weight/gauge yarn, in theory you should get the right or close gauge if not using the same needles as the pattern then some size close.

But I understand the problem of not knowing which size needle the pattern is talking about so you can determine relative needle sizes to use once your gauge is achieved.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 8:37 PM

Hi All,

My take on the ruffles being knit on a larger needle, is to give the ruffles a little more "air" space so they ruffle???   I don't know if my assessment is right or not about this.  Its just my thoughts on it.  I guess the cardigan has to be knit up and then the ruffles picked up and knitted afterwards...guess we wait and see???

Did anyone else get a nostalgic feeling from the name of the cardigan -- The Maple Street Cardigan.  Reminds me of Debbie McCombers books about the Blossom Street!!!!  I got three new ones of hers when I was away in the city a couple of weeks ago!

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 13
4hmomw4kids wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 8:54 PM

bessT:
So far I think I'm going to put my soft-toned red Berocco Remix to use for this sweater.

I have been researching Berocco yarn online and considered the Remix since it seems to be closest to the yarn used. I also wondered about Berocco Weekend. Do you think this yarn would be too heavy?

I need to narrow down my yarn choices and color...

Julie

Julie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 492
bessT wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 9:07 PM

ArtfulSoul:

Kathleen Cubley:

What does everyone think about the gauge being measured on SMALLER?  The body is worked in larger needles (size 7), only the front bands are worked in smaller (size 6), and ruffles in size 8. Do you think this is an error for our gauge swatch?

I was puzzled. There are 3 sizes of needle. Is the 'smaller' referring to the smaller of the two larger sizes, or the smallest size of all (the band) (didn't make sense to use the band as the prime gauge). It would have been better to state the size of needle used for this gauge; less ambiguous. I forged ahead with the needle size I want for the main part of the sweater, happens to be 4 mm with the yarn I'm using. A 3.75 mm will do the band, and a 5 mm for the ruffle, if I forge even further ahead Stick out tongue

Thanks, if you contacted the designer.

I cast on for the yoke as my swatch, but realized I could have easily swatched two 4 x 4 inch pockets first. I like pockets where possible. I would add them at the point where the ribbing begins (in some way - patch on the inside, or self-lined to hang like an envelope on the inside of the garment - ideas!)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 492
bessT wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 9:20 PM

4hmomw4kids:

I have been researching Berocco yarn online and considered the Remix since it seems to be closest to the yarn used. I also wondered about Berocco Weekend. Do you think this yarn would be too heavy?

I need to narrow down my yarn choices and color...

Julie

Julie, from the gauge for Weekend (18 st. x 26 rows) , it looks perfect for the Maple Street sweater - I haven't seen this yarn for real, nor the Classic Elite, though to compare. If Weekend is like Remix, then it should be ok. So far so good, for me, anyway!

(ooh I just looked at the online shade card for Weekend - yummy colors, and nice combo of acrylic and Peruvian cotton!)

By the way there will be a whopping lot of stitches on the needle by the time the yoke is done, and I'm planning to keep track of the stitch count by placing safety pin markers on the knitting itself, for the first numbers that were cast on so that there are only the newer increases to count (times 8). Yes that is clear as mud. Wait until I try it Hmm

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 492
bessT wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 9:21 PM

ps to Julie - don't pick Weekend Chunky! That would be too heavy Surprise

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 10:19 PM

ArtfulSoul:

ArtfulSoul:

Kathleen Cubley:

Okay, I got a reply from Cecily, the pattern designer, "The gauge is in St st with the needle size used for the body".  So that is the MIDDLE needle size, not smallest or largest.

On the Berroco Remix...I LOVE that yarn! Holds its shape well.  Have made 2 sweaters with it. I'm pretty sure it will be too bulky for ruffles...so as the pattern specifies a sport weight 26-gauge yarn for the ruffles, compared to worsted 18 gauge for the body...you will definitely be on the lookout for a coordinating yarn.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 492
bessT wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 10:33 PM

ArtfulSoul:

Okay, I got a reply from Cecily, the pattern designer, "The gauge is in St st with the needle size used for the body".  So that is the MIDDLE needle size, not smallest or largest.

On the Berroco Remix...I LOVE that yarn! Holds its shape well.  Have made 2 sweaters with it. I'm pretty sure it will be too bulky for ruffles...so as the pattern specifies a sport weight 26-gauge yarn for the ruffles, compared to worsted 18 gauge for the body...you will definitely be on the lookout for a coordinating yarn.

Thanks very much for the clarification.

It will be fun to find a matching yarn for the trim.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
knitter247 wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 1:31 AM

Hi everyone from chilly Canberra (Aust) where winter is just around the corner. I'm going to use some Merino et Soie from my stash (but don't worry I've already purchased more to replace this) in purple, which should meet the gauge. I'll have to add length to the body and possibly sleeves too, so wanted to make sure i'd have enough as I'm not sure how much I'll need . Am really looking forward to joining another KAL, I had such a great time with the seaweed cardigan!

Liz

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
on Apr 9, 2011 6:26 AM

Boy am I excited...Smile I actually bought yarn Thursday for the tee and the Maple Street Cardi but I was hoping MSC would win...Never did a sweater from the top down and never did ruffles so this is a first in a couple of areas...I bought Queensland Super Aussie a 100 Merino in a grayish green color 105...The gauge matches on a size 8 needle so will be using larger needle...Bought extra yarn so I would not run out...I like the sleeve length since I have long arms...Length I will add about 6 inches....I don't look good in shorties...Must be my age!!!...LOL...

Will this yarn work on a larger needle ????....I know my gauge works....So I guess it will work...I don't care for cotton blends in a cardi...Love it in a short sleeved or tee top though...

Let's get knitting !!!!

Like others I have some things I am working on...My daughter is expecting in August...Working on a sweater coat and hat right now...And a car seat blankie..But intend to allow at least one hour each day for this project...

Linda from  MA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 7:26 AM

Thanks!  The Berroco Remix sounds lovely. Jeanie

Not Ranked
Posts 12
ToniN wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 11:48 AM

My first KAL!  Love this pattern, although like many here I will make it longer in the waist.  May make the sleeves a bit longer too.  I think a cotton blend would be nice -- does anyone have ideas on a good cotton yarn for this?  Now for the color....

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 1:33 PM

I've ordered yarn, but because until I see it, I'm not sure which way I will go:

Berroco Remix (cotton/linen/nylon recycled) in buttercup color, with Rowan Panama (viscose/cotton/linen) as the ruffle in a pale yellow color

or

Tahki Yarns Coast (cotton/wool) in natural offwhite color, with Rowan Panama ruffle in a natural offwhite color.

I like both the Remix and Coast yarns VERY much, never seen the Panama, but it looks like it should work for both lighter gauge and composition.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 2:28 PM

ToniN:

My first KAL!  Love this pattern, although like many here I will make it longer in the waist.  May make the sleeves a bit longer too.  I think a cotton blend would be nice -- does anyone have ideas on a good cotton yarn for this?  Now for the color....

I don't know how well it's going to work, but I bought Lion Brand Cotton Ease to try.  Mainly because it was the only non-100% acrylic I could find in one of the colors I wanted and that I could find a coordinating color in the sport weight for the ruffle.  I wanted to try some bamboo blend, but alas, no luck in the weight and color. 

I was going to buy the Plymouth Yarn Jeannee Worsted cotton blend online, but I was afraid the coordinating color wouldn't match.  Plus, the Lion Brand is about the same content and less expensive!

Page 2 of 31 (458 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS