THE OFFICIAL MAPLE STREET CARDIGAN KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 458 Replies | 27 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 58
mamadeitz wrote
on Jun 12, 2011 7:42 AM

Trish thanks for the instructions for the band, finished them last night now just have to attempt ruffles and finish. 

Not Ranked
Posts 13
dagmar07 wrote
on Jun 12, 2011 7:44 AM

Dear Celia, I'm so sorry for your sudden loss ... my thoughts are with you, may God bless you and give you strength and hope.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
dagmar07 wrote
on Jun 12, 2011 7:49 AM

argh ... I had to frog my cardigan today ... Crying ... it was hard to decide this, but when I tried it on today, I did not like what I saw ... had just finished the body and was knitting on the first sleeve, which was far too wide and did not look good ... 

Now I'll start again ... with a new calculation Smile ... and new power ... Wink

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Jun 12, 2011 11:09 AM

Dagmar, my sleeves are far too big now as well.  I did the math, kept trying it on, but they still came out far too large.  I've considered frogging it, but I think I'll just finish it, wash and block and then if they're still too big, just sew them down.  LOL!  I can't bear to do it all again!  But I completely understand why you did.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Jun 15, 2011 7:12 PM

Pamela, Your sweater really is lovely.  I have decided to try and PU sts instead of sewing a band as well.  How many rows of the ribbing did you do?  Did you pick up every stitch along the front edges? I am running out of yarn and hop that I make it!  Thanks! Jeanie

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Jun 17, 2011 3:24 PM

Kathleen, I was delighted to see your helpful buttonhole placement in Knitting Daily!  I have heard so many knitters tell how much trouble they have been button bands that I decided to perhaps PU sts instead.  What are yo doing?  My big question regarding bands  is how to sew the bands on?  What kind of stitch do you use and what do you attach them to?  Thank you!!  Jeanie

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
knitter247 wrote
on Jun 18, 2011 2:17 AM

Finished the sleeves and some time this week I'll start the bands and the ruffles, in between finishing other projects.  I decided on a  bamboo/wool blend yarn for the ruffles (a cheaper option than the possum I had originally looked at - when I put it next to the finished garment it wasn't quite right) - the bamboo has a nice sheen and I think it will look oK. Even though I've made the body longer my yarn shop expert said I should keep the ruffles to the original length, so this is what i am going to do - any opinions from those who have done a longer version?  Kathleen's buttonhole tips also came at a good time for me!  Liz

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
dkoland wrote
on Jun 18, 2011 7:57 AM

I put my sweater on and figured out how long to make the ruffles from how if fit me.  Did not want them ending in the inappropiate place others were having problems with (LOL).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Jun 18, 2011 12:56 PM

knitter247:

Even though I've made the body longer my yarn shop expert said I should keep the ruffles to the original length, so this is what i am going to do - any opinions from those who have done a longer version?  Kathleen's buttonhole tips also came at a good time for me!  Liz

You're probably ok on the ruffle length for a smaller size, even if adding length to the sweater, but for the larger and probably even the middle/medium, try the sweater on and decide where to end the ruffles. I made the largest size and even if not adding several inches to the length, the ruffle placement according to the instructions was not going to be flattering

I decided against them, in the end - and I wear this sweater a lot, get lots of compliments! yay!

If the ruffles don't look right you can easily take them out and try again though Angel

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Jun 19, 2011 2:26 PM

Help someone!  I haven't even gotten o the bands yet and am having trouble understanding how to pick up sts and bind of on the neckline.  I know how to pu sts but then what do I do?  If I have 2 picked up sts do I knit them again and then bind off?  Sorry to be so dense.   Will I ever finish?? Thank you!!  Jeanie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Jun 19, 2011 3:02 PM

Think of it as pick up 2 stitches, and with those 2 sts., bind off one stitch (the first stitch). Pick up another stitch, and now you have 2 sts. again, bind off.

You could also pick up the whole row and bind off along the row Wink

Try it - I think you're on the right track!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Jun 19, 2011 6:42 PM

Bess T, Thank you so much for the explanation - it clicked!  I seem to be getting it.  I really appreciate your help!  Jeanie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 20, 2011 11:50 PM

Hi bessT...

bessT:

To those named Zoë, if you have a numeric keypad on a pc keyboard, hold down the Alt key while you type 0235 to show the ë. Alt-0235

Hoping you can help me. At the time you posted this to Zoë...I made a note of it for future. My Dad is German + I do have family there. Tonite I'm trying to type out something for the family that has multiple umlauts (sp?). I couldn't find the sticky note I'de made but managed to track it back to here. Unfortunately I need it on top of other letters....."o" + "u" are the 2  I can think of @ the moment.  Is there a "formula" to do this for other letters?  Too bad it wasn't "e" I needed!!!

Thanks for any help.....hope you see this.....

Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 21, 2011 12:06 AM

Celia....

I haven't been on here as frequently the last few mths, so only saw the sad news about your husband tonite. My heart goes out to you with lots of LOVE and caring.  We knitters are made of strong stuff and we stick together!!!  Please reach out to us when you need to. This is definately giving me an extra dose of appreciation for my husband. We've "only" been tog 37 yrs.

I'll be thinking of you as I knit ..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 21, 2011 12:55 AM

Hi again bessT...

I think I just found the answer to my question about umlauts...those 2 little accent dots on top of a letter. In case anyone else is interested...thought I'de come back + post the link. It gives the codes for Windows....upper + lower case and the "how-to" for Macs.

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/finetypography/ht/umlaut.htm

Thanks to you for first making me aware this was even possible. Always thought I'de need a German keyboard.

Take Care..... Andrea

Page 27 of 31 (459 items) « First ...  < Previous  25 26 27 28 29  Next >  ... Last » | RSS