THE OFFICIAL MAPLE STREET CARDIGAN KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 458 Replies | 27 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
trailridr24 wrote
on Jun 21, 2011 6:24 AM

Well, I probably won't make the finish deadline.......I SQUEEZED a swap project for one of my Ravelry groups in and that kind of set me back on the sweater. I don't think I'll be too far behind though. I've finished the sweater body (including button/buttonhole bands and neckline) and one sleeve. Started second sleeve last night. I've decided not to do the ruffles. It just seems like it might be wearable for me without them. What a fun project this has been!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Jun 21, 2011 6:43 AM

It sounds like you are close to finishing!  Further along than I am, anyway.  How did you do the button/buttonhole bands - did you PU or sew them on? Thanks!  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on Jun 21, 2011 12:23 PM

AndreaW:

I think I just found the answer to my question about umlauts...those 2 little accent dots on top of a letter. In case anyone else is interested...thought I'de come back + post the link. It gives the codes for Windows....upper + lower case and the "how-to" for Macs.

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/finetypography/ht/umlaut.htm

Good sleuthing Andrea Wink

If you are composing in a mail-browser window there should be an 'insert' option with a drop-down menu for symbols, lower case/upper case letters with accents etc. If composing in a chat window as we do here then the Alt-codes are handy and fast. Another way is to open a Word document, find the symbol through the insert menu and copy paste to the live window. I needed the ess-tsett earlier today.  ß, Alt+225. Smile

Summer looks like it might even happen this year - my new MSCardigan has been really handy on cooler days! I just love it.

Happy knitting and typing everyone. Looking forward to the next KAL... in August, did Kathleen mention?

Not Ranked
Posts 13
dagmar07 wrote
on Jun 21, 2011 3:06 PM

Thank you Deborah Smile ... yes, while I was frogging my husband asked me "don't you have to cry?" ... sure I nearly cried, but I also knew that I would not wear the cardi if I would go on ...

Today I just finished the yoke a second time ... it will be difficult to match Kathleen's time-schedule ... (6/14-6/28: Finishing.) ... I just hope to get the cardi finished before my birthday ... Cool

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 21, 2011 8:51 PM

Hi bessT...

Thanks for your quick reply. Now I know there are options out there. I did check in my email + there doesn't seem to be this:

bessT:
a mail-browser window there should be an 'insert' option with a drop-down menu for symbols, lower case/upper case letters with accents etc.

but no matter...I can do it w/ the codes. I'm limping along w/ a 9 yr old....slightly cranky computer. It is not the latest in technology!!! I did notice that the whole concept is much easier w/ a Mac + that is my next computer. Just as soon as I find the energy to learn the "differences".

Looking forward to the next KAL too. Hope it's something that suits. I enjoyed doing the Every Way Wrap KAL.

Thanks again..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 21, 2011 9:26 PM

AndreaW:
I did check in my email + there doesn't seem to be this:

Hi Andrea,

The Insert tab is not found in your email, but it is found in things like the Microsoft Word Document where you would compose a letter or a message or a document.  Across the top of the page somewhere there should be a "drop-down menu bar" with the following words that you can click on:

File  Edit  View  Insert  Format  Tools  Table  Help

How are things going with your knitting??  I am busy with the outdoor spring/summer work right now.  And making some cotton dishclothes too.

Happy knitting, Zoë Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on Jun 21, 2011 9:43 PM

AndreaW:

Hi bessT...

Thanks for your quick reply. Now I know there are options out there. I did check in my email + there doesn't seem to be this:

Looking forward to the next KAL too. Hope it's something that suits. I enjoyed doing the Every Way Wrap KAL.

I must have met you at the Every...Wrap chat, I haven't yet found yarn I want to use. Still looking. It is a smart pattern.

For the record, I use Thunderbird for e-mail. The insert symbol option is in the menu across the top of the write-message window Wink

I hope I can use up more yarn in my stash for the next KAL Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 22, 2011 2:47 AM

Hi Zoe....

I was just searching for a couple of your older posts I wanted to respond to when I found this one in my inbox. Afraid this will be short as I'm about ready to pitch this computer. It gets slower till @ this point in my day it's ignoring about 90% of my "requests"......grrrrr!!!  I do have a couple pics for you that I've been intending to post for mths. Not going to happen tonite I'm afraid...but will try soon. Words are slow enough....hate to think how long to upload a pic right now. Will try earlier tomorrow nite maybe.

I don't have Microsoft Word + the name of what I do have escapes me @ the moment. It hasn't worked for a long time + was iffy fr the beginning. I was new to computers then so didn't realize...know better now. Have to use WordPad if I need to write something ie: document.

As to knitting: I've been working at a stack of hats to donate to the Salvation Army for kids next Xmas. Finished # 20 tonite while waiting for slow computer. Also still making my "round ripple/ afghan a mth" I decided to do this year. And assorted other stuff. I made Wayne a pr of Kroy ankle socks the other day on the machine. He's going to (maybe!!!) try them instead of his high socks. He's got a patch of excema (?) on one leg + the wool fibers are irritating it. Not causing...just annoying it. Anyway....you know men + change....the socks are still sitting here waiting.....

Outside not really agreeing w/ me right now so staying mostly inside for now although I still would like to plant a bit of a garden. Will see.....

How are you getting along now with your husband away? Have you adjusted yet? How is he settling in?

Talk again tomorrow maybe.... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 22, 2011 3:00 AM

Hi bessT...

bessT:
I must have met you at the Every...Wrap chat,

We may have met there.  Mine was made from Patons SWS in a pinky purple shade...plum maybe. I have worn + enjoyed mine as well as making a 2nd one in December for a friend's Xmas gift. I posted several pics there after someone asked about different ways to wear it. Mine had added shaping across the shoulders for more back coverage. My friend's was made straight as per patt though in a camel color. Didn't post a pic of hers.

bessT:
I hope I can use up more yarn in my stash for the next KAL

Always nice when we can make something w/o having to buy the yarn. Never going to be able to use up my stash however!!!!

Time to quit here + head off to bed.

Nite all..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 22, 2011 8:18 AM

AndreaW:
Afraid this will be short as I'm about ready to pitch this computer. It gets slower till @ this point in my day it's ignoring about 90% of my "requests"......grrrrr!!!

Chuckles here Andrea,

That is what was happening with me and my old desktop computer.  Now it will take anywheres from 1 - 1 1/2 hours to boot up!  I got a Toshiba laptop for my bd and I love it!  So fast and easy to manoever around in.

AndreaW:
I've been working at a stack of hats to donate to the Salvation Army for kids next Xmas.

What a nice project to knit up!  Is there any particular hat pattern that you use?  I would like to make some this year too.  Sometimes when it comes to my knitting, "if wishes were horses....."  The FM really gets in my way!  Yesterday I was able to mow my lawn in the front yard and that is something because I did it all at once instead of in stages. 

I am knitting a mitred square dishcloth from one pattern and Mom is doing a different one.  I think that I prefer her pattern for the decreases as it looks neater than mine.  But then my dishes dont mind the kind of dishcloth that swipes them!

Hubby has moved to a nursing home in the city where he is getting good care and goes to the local hospital's renal unit for his dialysis.  I cant do it anymore for him at home.  He is settling in nicely and he has realized that he can exist without me.  He phones everyday to see how things are going.  Of course it is really quiet here at home now -- no TV, radio, etc.  if I dont want it on.  hehe, of course I miss him but I am really satisfied that our Canadian health care does take care of our elderly when they cant live at home anymore.  It is adjustments for us all.

I must go to the LYS and get another set of knitting needles in 2.75mm to make my next socks.  I have one set but want to knit up both at one time and finish them together.  Green and white yarn balls to make the socks a striped pair with green heels and toes.  I have some nice pastel yellow that I may throw in there too.  Yarn is Bernat`s no. 3 weight in acrylic.  I want to make the heels and toes separate so that when they wear out, I can just go and replace them. 

I am with Wayne about the wool fibers irritating the skin!  I have the psoriasis and that is just as nasty.  So because of that, I like my socks to be the short summer socks that come just above the ankles. 

With your round afghans you are knitting, do you use the circular needles and do you like them. 

Happy knitting, Zoë Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 24, 2011 1:13 AM

Hi Zoe...

I'm going to answer you over in "Fabulous Projects" if that's OK?  I feel guilty talking about all this here on the KAL.

Take Care.... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 1
hollynor256 wrote
on Jun 25, 2011 12:59 AM

I'm doing knitted hats. phone cards phone card

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
dkoland wrote
on Jun 26, 2011 5:41 PM

So here is my Maple street cardi.  The ribbing is shorter on the arms because I wanted short sleeve and had to do the decreases .  Overall I love it & get lots of compliments. Love the ruffle

Donna

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on Jun 26, 2011 6:00 PM

Excellent Donna! Love it, thanks for sharing!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jun 26, 2011 6:56 PM

Love it. That would be great for my mother. It would have been a very nice mother's day gift. Well, the year's not yet ended.

NYC Contractor

Page 28 of 31 (459 items) « First ...  < Previous  26 27 28 29 30  Next >  ... Last » | RSS