THE OFFICIAL MAPLE STREET CARDIGAN KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 458 Replies | 27 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
yarngirl52 wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 3:30 PM

I am bummed. I was hoping the winner would be the one I liked (Lace Saddle Tee). Maybe next time.

Debbie

please visit my blog www.amigraineur@wordpress.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 3:57 PM

If anyone is thinking of using Lion's Brand Cotton Ease worsted, I can report that I got perfect gauge with size 7 needles.  Yoohoo!  I think that's the first time that has happened for me. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 4:14 PM

I've been knitting away, 14 increase rows done, and I decided I'd better try on the yoke so far just to see how it looks. I used a spare circ of the same size to spread out the stitches. The Remix does look good! I noticed the neck edge rolls, as st st edges do, and if I'm going to keep trying on the yoke as I go, I thought I'd better finish the neck band to stabilize it. 

I'm making the largest size. The sweater will be quite heavy for working the slight edge if I wait until the end. I might add an I-cord edge to it later. In the meantime it won't roll as much. I'll post a piccy in a while.

For the ruffle yarn, I'm plying several strands of a weaving silk with a filament of gold tinsel. The colors go with the Remix color, the silk should be a nice contrast and I thought the glitter would be fun. I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't go yarn shopping, but it will be good to use up something else from the stash - to make room for more, of course Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Deb@49 wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 7:31 PM

I am in. I love the pattern and found the perfect yarns. Quince & Co. have a yarn named Lark for the body and a weight called Chickadee for the ruffles, both in the same colorways. And VERY reasonably priced. If I only had it now so I could swatch!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 7:41 PM

Deb@49:

I am in. I love the pattern and found the perfect yarns. Quince & Co. have a yarn named Lark for the body and a weight called Chickadee for the ruffles, both in the same colorways. And VERY reasonably priced. If I only had it now so I could swatch!

Thanks for the infor.  That's a nice site and yarns.  Wish they had some cotton yarns, but the wool is nice and, like you said, a decent price.  Bookmarking for future KAL's! :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 155
klandreneau wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 7:41 PM

Hi Deb,

Just looked over at Quince & Co--nice!  What color did you buy?  I have a difficult deciding on color!

Katherine

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 8:14 PM

I already need help on the second row.  The increases:  It says to make one increase, slip the marker and make another increase.  This sounds to me that you make 2 increases in the same bar.  But on the picture it looks like there is a stitch (an axis stitch?) between the increases.

If so, is the axis stitch the stitch *before* the marker thus making an increase before that stitch, knit the axis stitch, slip the marker, and increase immediately after the marker?

I originally thought this was how to do it, but when the instructions say to make the increase and immediately slip the marker, I thought I must be mistaken.  But doing two increases in one stitch looks very wrong.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 8:19 PM

DeborahC53:

I already need help on the second row.  The increases:  It says to make one increase, slip the marker and make another increase.  This sounds to me that you make 2 increases in the same bar.  But on the picture it looks like there is a stitch (an axis stitch?) between the increases.

You do the increase M1B (make 1 below), see theStitch Guide at the very top of the page under the title.

It is a bit cramped on the first row I found - but smooth sailing after that.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 8:26 PM

Here is a fact for the ruffles - yarn length is about 12 yards per ruffle, so 50 yards ball-park of the contrast yarn.

I checked out the Classic Elite Fresco at the firm's website - very interesting, some nice patterns for it. I made a sample ruffle in a sock weight yarn from the leftovers bin, that looked about "26 sts = 4 inches" gauge, unravelled it and wrapped the amount of yarn around a ruler Big Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 8:29 PM

bessT:

DeborahC53:

You do the increase M1B (make 1 below), see theStitch Guide at the very top of the page under the title.

It is a bit cramped on the first row I found - but smooth sailing after that.

Yeah, that stitch guide was no help at all.  LOL!  Guess I'm going to have to YouTube it.  So it is not just the Make 1 Left or Right that is typically done, but an actual "below" stitch increase?  I'm still confused whether or not I knit all the stitches before the marker and make the increase or do I stitch to the one stitch before the marker, make the increase, knit that stitch, slip the marker and *then* make the next increase?

Thanks for the help!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 8:32 PM

You poke the needle *right into* that stitch below! Make the stitch (it is the increase) then knit the loop that is still on the needle. Slip the marker. Poke the needle into the stitch *below the next stitch*, make the stitch (another increase) and work the loop still on the left needle.

You will get a large-looking knit stitch slanting downhill, what you refer to as the axis stitch. The increases fan out to either side of this big stitch.

I'll post a piccy soon, maybe it will help...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 8:39 PM

Thanks a lot!  I think I finally got it.  I was trying to find the comparable stitch at Knitting Help and they call it a "Knit Right Loop".   Here's their video in case someone else is confused.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/knit-right-loop-english

At least I hope that's what I'm supposed to be doing! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 8:52 PM

DeborahC53:

Thanks a lot!  I think I finally got it.  I was trying to find the comparable stitch at Knitting Help and they call it a "Knit Right Loop".   Here's their video in case someone else is confused.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/knit-right-loop-english

At least I hope that's what I'm supposed to be doing! :)

hmm. When 'rural broadband' reaches my house, I won't have to wait ten minutes to load a 49 second video! I'll look at it in a bit. I googled the stitch name and it seems to be used in continental knitting. In the increase using the stitch below, you are going through the stitch underneath, or on the row below, the stitch in waiting. So, you aren't making an increase into the stitch itself before the marker, but the one on the row directly below that stitch.

This picture won't help with how to M1B, but it does show the increasing.I kept the stitch marker on for the photograph, took it off on the next row because I could work without them by this time.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 9:02 PM

Oooo, that's a pretty color!  And nice knitting, too. :)  I did a little more Googling, found a few more explanations, and I'm 99% sure I'm doing the right thing now.  Thanks again for taking the time to help and post your pic!

Deb

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 9:32 PM

Good!

Sorry the picture is blurry. I did see a few frames of the knit right loop, it is kind of like M1Below but she takes the stitch from the side of the stitch below (the 'right loop'). I poke the needle directly into the stitch itself, and the new knit stitch comes off the righthand side of that stitch-below. Should work either way though and you are are on the right track!

Here is another view of my yoke so far. The small safety pin marks the edge of the first 15 stitches cast on for the front (largest size). I did the arithmetic, and at 31 increases between the safety pin and the slanting line of knitting, it will be time to do the armhole increases (every 4th row 3 times). In the picture, I have done the neck edge 'band'. Pick up, knit and immediately BO.

Page 3 of 31 (459 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS