This post has 458 Replies | 27 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 314
sjc wrote
on Apr 10, 2011 7:34 PM

DeborahC53:
How is everyone knitting so fast?

Hi DeborahC53,

Everyone knits at her own pace so no worries.  I'm a fast knitter and I've also been knitting all day (and napping--love a good nap!) and I'm making the smallest size so there's your difference!  And we're about in the same place so see, you're actually knitting faster than I am.  Must be the naps that are slowing me down.  But when I fall asleep with my knitting in my hands, it's time to do something about it and I really did doze off while knitting today!  I'm awake now though so back to knitting.  Have fun while you're at it.

Sherry

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on Apr 10, 2011 10:26 PM

I really like the M1B increases--cool!

Yes they're fun! Nice-looking yarn Sherry.

I'm about 8 looong rows away from the armhole increases. I notice in the instructions that the ruffles are the same length for all sizes. We can make them longer or shorter, to suit. For the largest size they end before the armhole. When I reach the armhole, I'm going to try a ruffle to see how it looks.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 314
sjc wrote
on Apr 10, 2011 10:47 PM

bessT:
I'm about 8 looong rows away from the armhole increases.

Just wait until you get to the increases every four rows.  The rows seem to get even loooonger!  I just put the sleeve stitches on waste yarn and boy does that make a difference...100 stitches less, just like that!  I've put it away for the night now.  I think it's going to be a quick project.  I haven't totally decided about the ruffles, let us know what you think when you try them.  I might do them in one strand of the blue for a monochromatic look or I have some other fingering weight yarns I might use for contrast or I might leave them off!  I like ruffles though, just depends on how they look.  G'night all...

Sherry

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 314
sjc wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 11:17 AM

First Fitting

The benefit of top down knitting is that you can try on as you go so here is my first fitting.  I'm a firm believer in waste yarn rather than stitch holders because it moves with you and doesn't stretch your stitches.  You can see it around my sleeves and around the bottom.  The stitches move to my shape and it allows me to put the stitches easily back on the needle after I try pieces on.  This is still very rough.  I'm one inch from the underarm and the edges want to curl everywhere but I can tell it's going to fit just fine even over a tee because there isn't a button band yet.  Has everyone noticed that the instructions call for the band to be SEWN on?  I'm not doing that.  I much prefer a pick up and knit for the front band but it's a ways off yet and I can keep happily knitting in stockinette stitch until I get the length I want.  One question...since there are no shaping instructions to get a V-neck, how does that happen?  Is it just pulled into a V in the photos?  Hmmm...

Sherry

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 11:23 AM

That is looking very nice!  I can't wait to get that far. :)   ITA agree about waste  yarn vs. stitch holders.

Re the V-shape, it's not.  In the picture, it's just not buttoned all the way up, so it gaps open in a V-shape.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 155
klandreneau wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 11:44 AM

Looking good, Sherry!  Thanks for the pics and tips!!!

Ordered my yarn this morning--Quince and Co.  "Delft"  a blue color.  Hope I like it!

Katherine

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 11:50 AM

One question...since there are no shaping instructions to get a V-neck, how does that happen?  Is it just pulled into a V in the photos?  Hmmm...

First of all, nice shot of the sweater in progress! Looking good. I'm mulling over those bands, too. The narrow one around the neck edge still causes the neck edge to roll, especially across the back. I might add I-cord or work the side bands up and around. Lots of time to think about it yet.

I think the V-neck look is from being  'modelled with negative ease' (and not being buttoned up, as DeborahC pointed out!)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 11:52 AM

er, reading that over, it looks like I disagree with DeborahC - the wording should be "and I agree with DeborahC that by not buttoning it up the V-shape appears" or some such ...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 314
sjc wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 12:02 PM

bessT:
I'm mulling over those bands, too. The narrow one around the neck edge still causes the neck edge to roll, especially across the back. I might add I-cord or work the side bands up and around.

I can't see doing that skinny narrow band it calls for around the neck edge.  "knit and BO at the same time"???  Why knit it at all then?  I'm pretty sure I'll be working the side bands up and around the back.  It will give a much more finished look and will keep the neck from stretching out of shape.

Sherry

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 158
Grandma V wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 12:06 PM

sjc:

First Fitting

The benefit of top down knitting is that you can try on as you go so here is my first fitting.  I'm a firm believer in waste yarn rather than stitch holders because it moves with you and doesn't stretch your stitches.  You can see it around my sleeves and around the bottom.  The stitches move to my shape and it allows me to put the stitches easily back on the needle after I try pieces on.  This is still very rough.  I'm one inch from the underarm and the edges want to curl everywhere but I can tell it's going to fit just fine even over a tee because there isn't a button band yet.  Has everyone noticed that the instructions call for the band to be SEWN on?  I'm not doing that.  I much prefer a pick up and knit for the front band but it's a ways off yet and I can keep happily knitting in stockinette stitch until I get the length I want.  One question...since there are no shaping instructions to get a V-neck, how does that happen?  Is it just pulled into a V in the photos?  Hmmm...

Sherry

Hi Sherry - Looking good, as usual.  Haven't decided if I will do this KAL but I still like to check what everyone is up to.  I've never done a "top down" adult sweater so maybe I will try it because I sure like the idea of trying on as you go!!  A little update on me - A little two bedroom house on the property my daughter lives on in Stevensville became available for rent so I am in the process of getting it set up for the next 6 months.  I am so excited to spend the summer and early fall in the Bitterroot.  Clean air - gorgeous mountains - grandchildren right out my front door!!  And another daughter only four hours away (which is a 2 day trip from No. Utah).  The down side is that I will be away from the other grandchildren in Utah!!  Can't have everything but I have wanted to do this for some time now - I miss the Big Sky sooooooo much.  And I brought lots of yarn and patterns and supplies with me for the long Montana nights!!!!        

Happy knitting - can't wait to see your finished sweater.

Celia

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 12:16 PM

Good news, Celia! A change of scene in a place you love with people you love ;)

That narrow band does help on a short stretch. I have used it in other projects to move my yarn from A to B without cutting it, if there is a short distance to travel (it is like the slip-stitch in crochet, that way). On this sweater though, having tried it, I want more substance at the neck edge.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 314
sjc wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 1:21 PM

Grandma V:
I miss the Big Sky sooooooo much.  And I brought lots of yarn and patterns and supplies with me for the long Montana nights!!!!        

Hi Celia,

Welcome back to Montana!  I think you're a little turned around though...the long Montana nights are in the winter.  This time of year we're headed into long Montana days and short Montana nights.  Once June rolls around the sun comes in my east facing bedroom windows at about 4:30 am and sets at about 10:00 pm!  But any time is good for knitting, right?

Once you try top down knitting you'll love it more than any other type.  This cardi would be a good first project--not too difficult (and you can leave the ruffles off if you don't like them).  Again, welcome back to Big Sky country!

Sherry

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 314
sjc wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 1:28 PM

Celia,  I forgot to ask...isn't there a big fiber arts fair in Stevensville in the summer?  I've been wanting to go to it (you're still about 120 miles away from me so it takes planning) but it seems like I only hear about it when it's over.  If you can come up with dates and let me know I'd be SOOO appreciative.  Maybe we could even meet up to see it.  I've heard it's like knitter, crocheter, spinner heaven.

Sherry

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 158
Grandma V wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 7:36 PM

sjc:

Celia,  I forgot to ask...isn't there a big fiber arts fair in Stevensville in the summer?  I've been wanting to go to it (you're still about 120 miles away from me so it takes planning) but it seems like I only hear about it when it's over.  If you can come up with dates and let me know I'd be SOOO appreciative.  Maybe we could even meet up to see it.  I've heard it's like knitter, crocheter, spinner heaven.

Sherry

Sherry - Yes there is and I will check into it when I get back there next week.  I'm in Pullman, Washington until the 18th. 

Celia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 158
Grandma V wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 7:43 PM

sjc:

Welcome back to Montana!  I think you're a little turned around though...the long Montana nights are in the winter.  This time of year we're headed into long Montana days and short Montana nights.  Once June rolls around the sun comes in my east facing bedroom windows at about 4:30 am and sets at about 10:00 pm!  But any time is good for knitting, right?

Oh, yes - I was thinking long daylight hours into what should be night!!!  We always set off our 4th of July fireworks between 11:00 pm and midnight!!!  Like you say - any time is good for knitting!!!!  When we had the cattle ranch I could lay in bed with the drapes open and see the Big Dipper out the window.  

Celia

Page 5 of 31 (459 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS