making pencil roving machine

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
ForumModerator
AmyCM wrote
on Jun 16, 2008 11:43 AM

A Spin-Off reader called me wanting to know if I knew of a machine (affordable and not just for industry) for making pencil roving–she said hand-cranked would be fine. I haven’t heard of one–but thought I’d ask you knowledgeable people–perhaps you know of one. Or could invent one.

--Amy Clarke Moore

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Sep 16, 2008 8:08 AM

I take roving off my drum carder with a diz, starting at one edge and rotating the carder around and around. Normally I take it off at roving thickness, but one time I did start with a smaller diz hole and take a thinner slice, for something closer to a pencil roving.  I suppose if one used a diz with tiny holes, you could actually take off pencil roving this way.

If you want pictures of the process, there's a tutorial on my flickr here:

How to take roving off a drum carder

I've not heard of any home machines for turning roving into pencil roving -- the industrial machines are all attenuating the roving out, similar to manual pre-drafting. I think it's basically two sets of rollers like the rollers on old squeeze-the-water-out washers, moving at different speeds -- it's very likely someone could build one out of stock pieces, with two separate speed controls/motors, one on each set of rollers.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Sep 21, 2008 6:28 PM

This makes me think that I can do this... your flickr demo.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
MikkiB wrote
on Nov 4, 2008 5:55 AM

Thank you both one for asking my question and the other for the clear cut answer.  I just came up with the question today and was really glad to see the answer was just waiting out there in cyber space for me.

What would I do without my friends at knitting daily.

I am off to try it.  It seems so easy, that I don't need a pencil roving machine.  I just use the carder that I already have.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS