Fair Isle: in the Round Joining Help!

This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 9
dearose wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 8:06 PM

Hi! I'm a fairly new knitter (or rather, just developing). This is my VERY first Fair Isle knitted project (no swatches or anything!), and I've come to a point where I realize i have a bad knitting habit from being self taught: I don't know how to join my rounds. I THOGHT it was as simple as knitting the next stitch, but I apparently thought wrong! For any of my solid color knitting, I've not seen this as a problem, but with Fair Isle knitting, it obviously is. My patterns aren't matching up on the rows.

I'm working on a (absolutly ADORABLE) little boys hat. It involves skulls and some classic-looking Fair Isle patterns. As you can see in the -blurry- pictures below, they're not lining up. From my searching, I've found the: "slipping the first stitch on the left to the right, then taking the -now- 2nd sitch on the right and slipping it over the first onto the left needle, then knitting as usual" method...but I've not found if that's for every row, or just the first? And how would this apply to Fair Isle?

PLEASE HELP!! and thank you very much in advance! and here's a better look at the whole hat (adorable, is it not??? and not too bad for my very first try!)

I'm going to continue knitting it, but I plan on making SEVERAL more Fair Isle projects, so this help is VER much appriciated!

-Dea

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 304
on Apr 12, 2011 4:17 AM

Wow, you did great work on the knitting.

There are several ways to join in the round.

1) Cast on and when you get back to the 1st st, just knit it.

2) Cast on, adding an extra stitch, then k2tog to join the last and first stitch.

3) Cast on, then pass last stitch over the 1st stitch, before starting your knitting.

As far as I am aware, any time you work/join in the round, you will have a slight step moving from one round to the next.  This is visible on solid color projects, as ,well, if you look very closely.  I think the only way to avoid the step would be to knit the hat flat, then sew up the seam, carefully matching each row side to side.  This would avoid the step, but give you a seam which you may dislike more.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
dearose wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 10:24 AM

thanks very much for the tips! I'll give these different techniques a try and see how they turn out with the Fair Isle. What I'm mainly worried about is the color changes, and how that would be affected by the adding of stitches, and the rearanging of them. But I guess I'll just have to experiment!

Thanks again!!

[edit]: oh and I almost forgot! Do you apply those techniques for every round after the first, or do those only work for that very first round??

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 304
on Apr 12, 2011 11:11 AM

You would only do the joining technique on the first round.  Therefore, there will be no increase in stitch count or transposition of pattern.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 3:09 PM

I also like to use an extra stitch with my cast on.  Whatever the number of stitches the patterns says to cast on, I add one more stitch and then when I have cast on the last stitch, pass the first stitch over the last stitch and adjust the tension for a seamless join. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 9
dearose wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 4:05 PM

Thanks for all the help! I think I'll be a Fair Isle junkie in no time :]

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 5:32 PM

Hi Dearose,

Eunny also has given a tip for your problem that you can't avoid just becuase working in rounds means a spiral. So, she says to put a mark at the begining of the row and in the next round instead of kniting the corresponding stitch you should knit one below in every row (just the first stitch at the begining). That way you can vanish a little better that matter.

Besides, I see your tension must be a little bit loose so your drawings can be seen flat instead of tight.

It is a wonderful pattern. I hope this can help you.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 6:06 PM

Merlich:
she says to put a mark at the begining of the row and in the next round instead of kniting the corresponding stitch you should knit one below in every row (just the first stitch at the begining). That way you can vanish a little better that matter.

Hi Merlich,

You are a life saver!! I was trying to find Eunny's post about that.  I think she did a blog on it in one of Kathleen Cubley's forum posts???  I knew someone would remember what she had said.  I could not explain it any better than what you did!!Yes  I was looking for this posting because I am on a quest into knitting fair isle socks.  Unfortunately, this jogless join is not explained in my book.  Again, thank you very much for helping us out!!

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 6:45 PM

Hi Zoe, 

Did you check your "Answer"?  Wink  (on conversations)

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 8:18 PM

ZassZ:

Did you check your "Answer"?  Wink  (on conversations)

Hi ZassZ,

Not sure what you mean???   I did look for this join in the search bar, under techniques, etc. and found nothing to reference this.  What about you?

Got a nasty head cold or very bad spring allergies going on here!  haha  sneezes and kleenx for me!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 10:33 AM

Hi Zoe & ZassZ,

Any time, Zoe.

ZassZ the answer was at the Videos folder:

http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/30029.aspx

There you can watch : Jogless stripes in the round: KDTV 311 , about what we are in this thread.

You're welcome.

Bye, bye.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 10:59 AM

Hi Merlich,

Thanks ever so much for this information.  I knew it was somewhere here on KD but I wasnt up to searching for it as well as I should have.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 11:23 AM

Hi Merlich, 

No no that was not what I meant. 

Hi Zoe,

I was referring to you Zoe to check your "Answer" under the answer to our email under :Conversations" up at the top of the page above Search box for our emails. 

Not Ranked
Posts 9
dearose wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 2:17 PM

Wow! That video helped so much! Thanks everyone!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 4:09 PM

Hi there Zoe,

Thanks - I just got your "Answer Zoe" so now I'll go to reply to your ??s as best I can too.   Thanks for your response too.  Smile  I notice there are a few ways to access it.  I usually get the message from my "in box", but I sometimes get it right from the top of page here too. 

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS