Carioca by Bernat

This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 8
fracksmom wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 2:54 PM

I inherited some yarn, and it is no longer made by Bernat, and do not have a clue what to make or how much yardage is in the skein.  Since so many answered someone else's question about Melrose which I also inherited, I'm reaching out to you.  It is 50 Gm 80% acetate, 20% Nylon, sz 6 needles is the gauge, i have 2 sks of yellow, and 1 of mauve.

Thanks

Fracksmom

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 3:23 PM

I found this pattern for the yarn you mentioned - http://www.knitting-crochet.com/ligwra.html 

Also found this stie for a book on patterns using Bernat Carioca yarn, Book #503 -http://www.booksonthemove.com/books_detail-B0027SD0UK.html

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 5:50 PM

Hi fracksmom,

Look up in a stitch pattern book, choose one or several. You can create a nice small shawl or an echarpe alternating colors.

Visit different web sites including Bernat's so that you can get some inspiration.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 6:20 PM

fracksmom:

it is no longer made by Bernat

Bernat's site no longer has this particular yarn. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 4:34 PM

Hi ZassZ,

It doesn't matter if the yarn is already existing or not. We knew from the start of this thread it doesn't. It´s about inspiration what I am talking about.

I am not wealthy . I can't buy expensive yarns so, I wander around the web sites just to catch some ideas and then I sketch in what I'd finally knit after I've knitted my gauge and etc. You know, just inspiration. I didn't mean to copy any pattern.

Just an idea.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 5:37 PM

fracksmom:
I inherited some yarn, and it is no longer made by Bernat, and do not have a clue what to make or how much yardage is in the skein

Hi fracksmom,

The closest yarn composition that Bernat makes is called Bernat Baby Jacquard.  Instead of the acetate, it is acrylic.  The jacquard simply refers to the fact that it is a self patterning yarn.  It is a #3 weight yarn.  Takes a 4mm needle (size 6 US).  It is machine washable and dryable.  It is a very soft to the touch yarn.  I love working with the Bernat acrylic yarn.  I use my #3 weight yarn to knit up socks.  If you like, go and check out Bernat's patterns for the #3 weight yarn.  The nylon in the blend of yarn simply gives it strength so it doesnt "wear out".  You would be safe to use any pattern that calls for a #3 weight of yarn in a synthetic yarn.  You will also want to take a ball of this yarn down to the LYS in your area and see if you can match up the content and weight of it with a similar size of ball.  In this way you will know how much yarn you have in your balls of yarn.  A 50gr ball of yarn is plenty enough to knit one sock.  Two balls will make up a pair.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 14, 2011 5:02 PM

fracksmom:

I inherited some yarn, and it is no longer made by Bernat, and do not have a clue what to make or how much yardage is in the skein.  Since so many answered someone else's question about Melrose which I also inherited, I'm reaching out to you.

When I went to the Bernat site it was to see if I could find out how much yardage was in her skein of yarn as she stated she did not know how much yardage is in the skein, although she has 2 skeins.  I don't know why you wrote or addressed me on this as you did. 

Merlich:

Hi ZassZ,

It doesn't matter if the yarn is already existing or not. We knew from the start of this thread it doesn't. It´s about inspiration what I am talking about.

I am not wealthy . I can't buy expensive yarns so, I wander around the web sites just to catch some ideas and then I sketch in what I'd finally knit after I've knitted my gauge and etc. You know, just inspiration. I didn't mean to copy any pattern.

Just an idea.

We need to know "how much" yarn we have to work with before we start looking at patterns.  Before we decide to start a pattern, it would help to know how many yards the project requires.  So since she said this: 

fracksmom:

Since so many answered someone else's question about Melrose which I also inherited, I'm reaching out to you.

When I put this up here it was to call attention to anyone that might have the yarn and see that it is no longer on the site and that person may have the wrapper and know how much yardage is in a skein.  That info would help her to pick an appropriate pattern. 

So that is why I did not address anyone in particular in this comment.  Hopefully this clears it up for you.  Knitters knit to relieve tension at times, and I know it would be frustrating as all get out to start something and not have enough yarn to finish my project. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 14, 2011 7:02 PM

Hi ZassZ,

Sorry about my mistaken. I didn't mean to hurt anybody. I just forget not everybody knits by weight like my friends and me. For us it is oddly enought to knit by yardage. It is just we are not used to. Surprisingly, we have never ran out of yarn or finish with too much leftovers. I simply supposed she was trusting she could knit a small garment. Generally Bernat's skeins are 100 g / 3.5 oz that's why I suggested her to knit a shawl.

At www.elann.com they have a record of many yarn brands. Maybe, she could visit the site. Or as another member of KD that got in touch with Sirdar and asked them for help and they did.

At last, I addressed to you because if I remember, you, Zoe and me were the only ones to help her.

I don't want to be unkind with anybody. If I annoyed you, I didn't mean.

Bye, bye.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 14, 2011 7:35 PM

Merlich:
Sorry about my mistaken. I didn't mean to hurt anybody. I just forget not everybody knits by weight like my friends and me.

Hi All,

What we do here at KD, is we try to help everyone out drawing on the experiences we have as knitters.  Not all knitters have the same experiences and so we are able to assist those needing help by using what we as individual knitters know from our own knitting.  We have all seen this from a different point of view.  One of those views should "click" with what the knitter needing help asked for.  Those giving the help need to try to understand what the person asking for help is really needing.  At times, the knitter giving the help needs to ask for clarification from the one needing help. 

Since this yarn is no longer produced and the yarn label is therefore, old, the new yarns and labels at Bernats are all different.  That is why I had suggested she take the yarn ball down to her LYS to get a comparison.  Until you know how much yarn you have, you can not knit up or start a pattern in case you dont have enough to finish it.  Not all patterns that are written go by the weight of the ball of yarn -- they go by amount of yarn.  Some yarn labels give both. 

Chuckles, because this knitting assistance is like one big "brainstorming session in the dark".  hehe,  at last some knitter will find the "light switch" and turn on the lights!! lol  We all work together to put out ideas in order to find the magical light switch.

Fracksmom, I do hope that one of us was able to find the magical light switch for you???  Please do post back and let us know how we can further help you out.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 15, 2011 12:25 AM

Hi Merlich,

Please do not worry another minute.  I wanted to clear up any misunderstanding.  I am not annoyed with you, so please understand that I am glad I wrote and you answered and we could come to better understanding.   Where do you knit from?  That is a very good suggestion to try elann's web site for the yarn brand. 

I look forward to exchanging our posts here and enjoying the nice feeling of friendly while we help each other in what ever ways we can.   Yes

Not Ranked
Posts 8
fracksmom wrote
on Apr 15, 2011 10:08 AM

Hi All

Patterns call for yardage, and these skeins have the weight, but different type of yarns weigh differently so the yardage varies.  Thanks for all of your suggestions and assistance.   we are finally going to get a local yarn shop opening at the end of the month so i will go do a compare (good excuse to check it out)

Fracksmom

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 15, 2011 5:09 PM

Fracksmom

Well who wouldn't be looking forward to the a new shop opening locally.  I hope it will be good one, interesting and with lots of pretty yarns and other useful items.  Hope you have a good time when you go.  If it's good, maybe you would let us know what you liked about it. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 15, 2011 5:23 PM

Hi Fracksmom, 

Well I thought I would check back with you re the new yarn shop opening in your local area.  Did it open and is it still in business?  Just wondering if you had the chance to shop there and how you like it.  Did your yardage question get resolved?  Hopefully you got to use your Carioca all up!  Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS