Backstrap Loom

This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Laverne wrote
on Jul 30, 2009 12:30 PM

Hi Denise,

Congratulations on the State Fair win! Maybe you could post a picture here of your winning piece. Sounds like you are very close to jumping into your backstrap loom. I look forward to hearing about that.

Laverne

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Aug 4, 2009 3:11 PM

Laverne,

It's not the greatest picture, but it will do.

One problem...I'm having trouble uploading any photos. I'll try again later.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Laverne wrote
on Aug 5, 2009 10:59 AM

Hi Denise,

Let me know if you need help uploading your photos. I am goingt to upload one here to see if it is ok................Laverne.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Aug 5, 2009 12:47 PM

Got it. I had to use Explorer instead of Mozilla. Picky program. Anyway, my warp is a bit uneven in places. Part is due to the dreaded acrylic yarn. Part is due to me. I tried to get the beat and selveges even.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Laverne wrote
on Aug 6, 2009 12:02 PM

Hey Denise, that's great. It looks pretty much warp-faced. You know, I bought a rigid heddle loom in May and it is still under my bed. I wasn't aware that you could get warp faced out of it-that's good to know. I bought the heddle that had the holes and slots closest together as I wanted to achieve as close to warp-faced as I could. What size is your heddle?

I want to use my rigid heddle to teach Andean wrp-faced weaves to thise who don't want to use a backstrap and I was thinking that I would have to use string heddles on it beause the rigid heddle would set the warps too wide apart. Thanks for posting that! You have answered some of my doubts!

Laverne

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Aug 6, 2009 4:31 PM

Actually my beat is even. The weft color is white so it doesn't show much. It works the same as your backstrap loom. You just don't need to be strapped down.

In terms of warp face, it's not a problem. Just don't beat with the reed. Beat hard with the shuttle and pull it in as you weave and it will become a beautiful warp face.

I've been reading up on pick up sticks so I can do a modified waffle weave for a table runner/shawl for my mom. There should be a way to attach string heddles to a back strap as well.

Denise

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Laverne wrote
on Aug 8, 2009 9:30 AM

I use continuous string heddles on my backstrap.

When you are beating with the shuttle and pulling the weaving in to make warp faced on you rigid heddle loom do you find it hard to keep the width even and make good edges? 

Laverne

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Aug 9, 2009 10:02 AM

With an even weave, I tug the weft a big after the shed is changed and beat to even out the selvages. Warp face...let me think a moment...it is tough to get the edges even. Mine were a bit wavy. I worked at it. If I get too close to the rigid heddle, the fabric spreads out.

It should be possible to use the string heddles on the rigid heddle frame.  It's on my list of thing to do. If you do it, tell me how it turns out.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jun 2, 2010 10:36 AM

Hello Backstrap Weavers,

Just letting you know that we have a forum dedicated to Backstrap Weaving here. We would love to welcome you to our new Handwoven Weaving Today community website.

Thanks,

Pattie (I work for Handwoven)

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS