Lace knitting question

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
larsan wrote
on Apr 30, 2011 9:34 AM

I started my first ever project using lace weight yarn.  Debbie Bliss's Angel is a dream to work with!  So I'm just making a straight scarf.  However, I began using the needle called for and since I'm naturally a loose knitter, my scarf is wider than stated.

My question - is there such a thing as too lacey?  Should I go down the 2 needle sizes that I usually have to knit in any pattern?  How important is guage with this type of thing?

Also, I bought more yarn than I needed so that's not really a problem.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 30, 2011 11:49 AM

larsan:

I began using the needle called for and since I'm naturally a loose knitter, my scarf is wider than stated.

My question - is there such a thing as too lacey?  Should I go down the 2 needle sizes that I usually have to knit in any pattern?  How important is guage with this type of thing?

Hi Larson,

Gauge is very important!!!   That is why at the beginning of the pattern there is a swatch dimensions given that you have to match.  The needle suggestions are only suggestions as to what needles  to start with while trying to acheive gauge.  If any knitter wants the desired project to be as indicated on the pattern, then the knitter first of all makes sure of the gauge.  If you dont care about getting the project exactly as indicated in the pattern, then you can use any needles you want.  It is all down to the knitter who is making the knitted item.  If the needle size you are using gives you (the knitter) satisfaction, then go ahead and finish the item you are working on.  If it is not okay with you, then you will need to change the needle size.  These things hold true for any knitting project you will ever make and for all knitters with their projects.

How much have you knitted already on this scarf?  If it is too much for you to rip out and you want to continue,  then continue on and use the scarf as a table runner or something.

These are all things you are to consider when doing any knitting project or crochet project.

Happy knitting, Zoë Smile

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS