Can't crochet but would like to learn

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
JulesG wrote
on Jun 19, 2008 1:19 AM

Hello,

Quite frankly put, I can't crochet. I have learned it several times, both my grandmothers showed me, even one of my great-grandmothers, my mother-in-law and my sister-in-law but it seems I can't get the hang of it.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I can do a crochet chain and I can also crochet along the edge of a knitted piece but I would like to be able to do more.  Still, everytime I try I miss the second needle.

Any advice on good beginners' books, or how to "train" my basic skills?

Cheers, Julia

Not Ranked
Posts 13
CeliaC wrote
on Jun 25, 2008 1:54 PM

That's a tough one... perhaps if you just made a simple scarf in double crochet that would help you get the feel of it by repetition. Having learned crochet first I had trouble with the SECOND needle, but I love both types of work now... wish you didn't live halfway around the world from me I'd be glad to teach you! Perhaps a class might help, there's no substitution or having someone SHOW you how and then standby to help.  

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
JulesG wrote
on Jun 26, 2008 1:21 AM

Thanks! I'll try finding a class somewhere. At the community college they offer lots of knitting classes and maybe they have a crochet class, too.

I know it might really be a big help if someone could show me how to do it.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
JodiE wrote
on Jun 30, 2008 12:59 PM

I am teaching my daughters to crochet, and I started them with chaining a while 50g ball of yarn. Once they were done that, I got them to do alternating rows of sc, hdc, dc, and tc. My oldest one is getting really fast at it, and she's 9. My 7 YO can do it, but she gets bored quickly.

Hope that helps, and good luck with learning something new! I just learned how to spin on a drop spindle this past weekend, and while i have to admit to cussing like crazy, I am really enjoying it.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS