new yarn storage

This post has 45 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,767
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 19, 2008 12:08 PM

One day last summer I decided to reorganize two closets.  I moved some bulky outerwear to one storage closet & moved some yarn out of that storage closet.  My goal was to get all of my yarn in one closet.  I purchased one of those zip up storage closets for the yarn & inside of it hung some of those hanging closet shoe organizers inside and instead of shoes, put 3 or 4 skeins of yarn in the space for one shoe so there is plenty of storage out of one of these.  It worked out well because it was mothproof.  The rest of yarn hangs on hangers in clear plastic bags so I can see what and how much I have without alot of bending, stooping, undoing boxes, etc.  

I like the stress free feeling I get when I know where everything is.  The test was It saves my back and my time & my nerves.  Anyone like to share  ideas or ways you like to store your yarn keeping it dust free?

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
redstach wrote
on Jun 19, 2008 2:15 PM

Sounds like a good system, i have a big stach , knitting for many years and it has grown, i have it some of those bags you can compress, but sometimes hard to see exactly what is in it. I am lucky to have a spare room of my own , so if it spills out all over I don't mind.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
JulesG wrote
on Jun 20, 2008 12:58 AM

That's a great idea! I don't have room for another closet but I do have one of those hanger things for clothes (used to be occupied by lots of T-shirts). I might use this.

So far I have been using a big box which is under my bed - you see lots of doubling over, bending knees, stooping, back cracking etc. I would really like to reorganize my knitting stuff.

I have been using zip-lock bags for small amounts of yarn. So I can see what is in my big box and the balls don't get mixed up.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 39
MandyH wrote
on Jun 20, 2008 12:14 PM

I love the idea of shoe organisers for yarn. I shall keep that in mind. At the moment my fabric stash shares a wardrobe with my elder daughters things. She has moved into her own home, but didn't have space for all her clothes and various bits and pieces. Perhaps its time I moved her things out and my stash in! My yarn stash lives in various bags - so the infuriating feeling of not quite knowing where everything is or quite how much of a particular yarn I have.

Thanks for giving me the nudge to do something about it!

Mandy:)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,767
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 22, 2008 1:27 PM

Tank you.  It is so nice to get feedback.  Glad you liked the shoe organizer idea.  Like to know how it turns out.  I love your avatur and was meaning to ask about it from the moment I first saw it.  First of all it is one of my favorite colors and it is just beautiful.  If you don't mind me asking, is it something you crocheted or hand made in some way? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,767
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 22, 2008 1:32 PM

Yes, fortunately for me, it has worked out really well over the last year.  It has been a proven timesaver.  I am glad I invested the time it took to do it originally.  Glad you have that spare room.  Wink

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,767
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 22, 2008 1:42 PM

Cool  Yes it does save the back & have spent considerable time getting my back 'back' in shape.  Better to avoid back problems anyway you can.  I like being able to stand upright and view it all in one place.   

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 39
MandyH wrote
on Jun 23, 2008 8:27 AM

Hello,

You were asking about my avatar.

Yes, it is something I made. I'm not sure whether you would term it hand-made though.

It is a section of a circular piece of felt which I made - a very fine piece and very lightly felted. I put it into a hoop with a water soluble fabric to cover it top and bottom and then machine embroidered (by eye,  just drew a series of marks on the water soluble fabric to mark the endings of the leaves) both the leaf edging and the gentle decoration - leaves and flowers in the centre. It hangs on my wall as an addition to an as yet unfinished quilted piece. The whole piece started as a sampler for a textile course I was going to regularly so that I could learn felt-making.

I do hope that that makes sense.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,767
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 23, 2008 7:16 PM

Hi Mandy, 

Oh, I see!  I take it you mean water soluble stabilizer?  I am following you perfectly.  What an idea.   I can just imagine what  your quilt will look like.  This piece is really gorgeous! 

Thanks for taking the time to explain.  I remember seeing someone felting on Quilting Arts TV.  I was going to try it out on some linen jacket I have.  I purchased the threads already.  I have a design idea from a library book on silk painting.  I sketched the design on tracing paper so I could probably easily get it onto the stabilizer and go from there.  You gave me this idea as you said you marked on the water soluble fabric you have.  This is a project I was planning for a future date.   Now I really have to get to it!  Although the jacket is clothing and yours is going to be a part of a quilt, the beauty of it made me inquire and you inspired me!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
SusanJ wrote
on Jun 23, 2008 7:23 PM

What does this have to do with "New yarn storage"?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
NikkiW wrote
on Jun 24, 2008 5:53 AM

"Neat" Idea!!...As I was reading this, I thought of 3 closets of mine that could do with a little reorgainiization and I liked your ideas with the shoe caddy and a clothes caddy.  I have one of each that are not in use and would be perfect for yarn storage!

Thanks for the idea!

Yes  Nikki

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 39
MandyH wrote
on Jun 24, 2008 11:27 AM

I'm so sorry, SusanJ. You are absolutely right this has nothing at all to do with "New Yarn Storage". I am guilty of being really OT (off topic) this time.

It is hard when asked a direct question to be able to answer it anywhere else here. Perhaps I should have suggested moving the topic to a different forum.

Mandy.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 39
MandyH wrote
on Jun 24, 2008 11:28 AM

Thanks ZassZ. Good luck with the project.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,767
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 24, 2008 1:45 PM

Nikki,

Your so welcome!  Keep storing that yarn.  So you know where it all is!  It's been said that organization is 'one' of the keys to success. 

And it's great that you can make use of storage items you already purchased. Wink 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,767
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 24, 2008 2:08 PM

Mandy. O yes, you too . . .!   Wink 

Glad your stash won't be sharing the wardrobe much longer. 

Page 1 of 4 (46 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS