Posts 1
amarys4 wrote
on Jun 25, 2008 4:17 AM

Great Idea!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Just Jo wrote
on Jun 25, 2008 5:27 AM

Most of my yarns are squirreled away in shoeboxes and drawers all over the place, which I know isn't very organized or helpful.  But when I have some really georgeous yarns, I put them in baskets and decorate with them until I've figured out what kind of project to use them for.  This doesn't really keep anything dust free, but I get to enjoy the colors and express to the world (or really whoever is visiting my house) what I love to do.  The hardest thing is finding the right basket and deciding where it looks best.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 25, 2008 1:56 PM

Laura, thanks for saying so!  Glad I took the time to share it. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 25, 2008 2:01 PM

I am getting a mental picture - very pretty! 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Karen M wrote
on Jun 25, 2008 10:41 PM

I use a similar storage method, but most of my "boxes" are hat boxes and small fabric crates. This allows me to tote selected yarns (baby weight yarns, all my white yarns, etc.) from my crafting room to the bedroom or deck or wherever. Then I can swatch or start a new project or whatever, even display them when I feel like it. Incidentally, I have three (lined) baskets under my living room coffee table, each of which holds yarn projects or clutter out of sight when my husband tires of yarn everywhere.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 26, 2008 10:23 AM

KarenM, I love hat boxes, it is nice you have some. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
DawnG wrote
on Sep 24, 2008 9:14 AM

I heard this idea just last night at my knitting club:  One gal picked up a bunch of laundry baskets, and sorts her yarn by weight.  All the sock yarn in one, fingering weight in one, dk, worsted, etc.... that way, when she's wanting to start a project, she can drag out a single basket to see what she has available in the appropriate weight.  She has a craft room, so she has lots of room available.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Janne wrote
on Oct 17, 2008 7:17 AM

I just organized my stash in my office closet that is shaped so oddly that it was not useful for anything else. I hung shelves then sorted my yarn into clear plastic boxes. I also hung a shoe bag for overflow. I got wine bottle gift boxes for straight needles. Also I save all the zippered bags in which you buy pillows, blankets, etc. as project bags. That way, I can see what project is where (at least five going at once!) I still have a little work to do as I find stash hiding out in all rooms of the house, but it is a relief to begin the organizing.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Pauline wrote
on Nov 5, 2008 1:43 PM

Hi,

I sorted all my stash as well a few weeks ago. I went and bought some plastic draws which are free standing and a heap of colour pillowcases from the op shops.

Each colour wool is in the same coloured pillowcase with a piece of citrus soap to keep the wool fresh and from being musty. It works well for me when you have lots of the same colour but different balls of wool that dont match. Its handy for when you do odds and sods knitting or freeform.

I have done the fibre for felting the same way and its so easy.

cheers Pauline

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 12, 2008 6:17 PM

Janne, sounds like you enjoyed your organization!  Isn't it a good feeling? 

I enjoy reading the responses and many very good ideas.  What ever works well for you in your own environment.  There really are so many possibilities.  Idea 

I really do like the clear hanging shoe organizers, which I mentioned (when I started this topic) that I use in my zip up closet.  Air tight to keep out dust and I like to hang some fresh lavendar sprigs for nice scent.  The next reader mentions she uses citrus soap.  Nice idea too.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
pcorthell wrote
on Jun 1, 2009 12:39 PM

I have been rearranging my yarn, lately. I have a huge stash. I am always interested in ways to organize my yarn. I do use or have seen used most of the ideas mentioned here. They are great suggestions. I use baskets and hat boxes and under the bed storage boxes. They are great. I esspecially liked the idea of numerous hanging shoe storage units in one closet. Great idea.

I save the clear plastic containers from salad greens and spinach. I esspecially like the large ones from spinach. I use these containers for organizing projects. I can usually fit things I am using for a particular project into a box. It's great they are clear you can see what is where and they are stackable and also, moth and dust free. I also use them for partial skeins of yarn that are the same type of yarn such as wool, soy, bamboo. I need things visible or else I forget about them.

I found a great deal on closet storage recently. The kind that are wooden units you put in your closet. These kind I had to build myself. But they are great drawer units and shelf units. But my favorite are the shoe units divided up into sections for each pair of shoes, small cubbies. I can store a different color of yarn in each different cubby and they are visible. I put the smaller skeins in the shoe cubbies and the larger skeins and hanks on the shelves and in the drawers.

Loved all the ideas.Thank you all for sharing.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jul 22, 2009 9:25 PM

Great thread. Thanks for all the great yarn storage suggestions. Mine is in desperate need of reorganization.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
diva33 wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 6:32 AM

Some good ideas here! Personally, I like to use a knitting basket like this to keep all my yarn together. Granted i'm just getting started so there's not a lot, but it's surprisingly roomly.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 4:42 PM

Hi pcorthell

Elnjoyed your input and Congratulate You! as well, on your organization.  I find that the key for me, is to be able to find what I need quickly.  Less time spent searching is more time devoted to creativity.    Time  Thank you for sharing. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 4:49 PM

Hi bluemoonrevisited, 

Let us know when you start your reorganizing.  Once you get going it really is fun.  Better yet when you see the results.  And thanks for writing too! 

Another one of the benefits is not buying something over again because you can't find it, or forgot where you put it.  Mostly happens when you can't see your supplies.  It really does save time and $$.   

Page 2 of 4 (46 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS