new yarn storage

This post has 49 Replies | 9 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,813
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 12, 2011 6:39 PM

Hi,

I just saw a suggestion to put locking type wheels on the bottom of book shelves to make them easier to move around a room or even to move in and out of a closet space.  I was thinking if they fit into a closet space it would be a great way to store yarn.  Like instant shelving in a closet space. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Coops202 wrote
on Aug 5, 2014 7:44 AM

A lot of these are really great ideas. I've been taking about the need to kind of declutter a bit and get more organized. Doing something like this would really really help.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Rtknitter wrote
on Sep 13, 2014 1:15 PM

I really LOVE that idea, however, not having the space for either the zip up storage closet, or the hanging closet shoe organizer, I had to come up with another solution.  I finally gathered all my yarn from all over the hidey-hole places in house and garage and sorted it by weight and type.  Then I filled and labeled 3 plastic 3-drawer units  (the 24" wide x 30" high ones) with the yarn I really wanted to keep.  Discovered there was some yarn I have had for over 20 years and if I hadn't used it by now, probably never would, so put that in the discard pile.  When I had fit all the yarn I wanted to keep in my drawers, I had my husband mount them on the top shelf of my closet and screw the frame to the back wall.  Since I have to keep a short ladder in my closet to reach the upper levels anyhow, I can easily access the yarn I want.  

The only yarn I didn't store in the closet drawers was my special lace and bling yarn that I use for scarves.  I put that in one large armoire drawer in my sewing room.

It feels really good to know where all my yarn is and how much of each I have.  My next step will be to snip a few inches of each yarn, put it on an index card with fiber content, weight, yardage each and then how many skeins of each that I have.  I can keep that near my patterns for quick reference.  I ended up taking 2 large garbage bags full of my discarded yarn to our local senior center where it was warmly welcomed by the ladies there who knit for the hospital and others.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ammcodaily wrote
on Feb 21, 2015 5:58 PM

On the TV episodes, there is a metal stand in the background with shallow baskets filled with yarn...does anyone know what that is?  That would be useful for immediate access to yarn projects/materials.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,813
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 22, 2015 8:06 PM

Hi Rtknitter,  

Love your solution too.  I also keep a short ladder - only 3 steps in my closet for getting to my upper shelves.  I still use my zip up storage closet that I posted earlier on here and it has been working really well for these past years.  I love hearing all the ways knitters find to keep the precious yarns we have gathered over time.  

Also brought a smile to read you gifted the other yarn to your senior center.  Really nice thing to do.  Yes 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 4 of 4 (50 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 | RSS