Jess's Gansey

This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 32
SharonM wrote
on Jun 21, 2008 12:09 AM

Is any one else knitting this?  I'm not having any problems with it, but I'd love to hear from someone else who's knitting it.  

I must say I like this new format, but it took me a while to figure out how to post new messages.  It could be my age and lack of computer expertise, of course.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Oct 22, 2008 1:34 PM

I'm not doing Jess's Gansey, but another style of Gansey for my dad. This is an Aran (same sweater type, different area). I'm doing the cables without an extra needle. I practiced on waste yarn before the real thing. I had my dad choose the fleece (grey lincoln/targhee) that I spun up. I hope to have it done by his b-day in Feb.

I've been telling him the history of the gansey sweater. Girls as young as 12 were knitting these sweaters in about 2 wks time while the men were out on the boats. Every 2 wks the yarn execs would come around with a new shipment of yarn and pick up the finished sweaters to sell. The yarn is a tight worsted with the lanolin in for long wear and weatherproofing. Initials were knitted at the bottom of the wearer so if they washed up, they could be identified. 

Dad's been watching the progress. There are a two mistakes I'm leaving in... so far.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS