Sock Knitting Master Class: Knit Along with Ann Budd

This post has 302 Replies | 34 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 155
klandreneau wrote
on Jul 6, 2011 8:14 PM

sjc:
Nice to see you on this site.  What a good idea, huh?  I just ordered the book as well

Hi Sherry!  Glad you are here, too!  I've yet to finish my first pair of socks...maybe this will inspire me to get a pair done!!  Gussets are scary!!  lol   Think I'll use the Quince yarn I bought for the MSC---chickadee (for the ruffles).   I think it is sport weight--good for the winter and a "practice pair".

What yarn will you use?

Katherine

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 322
sjc wrote
on Jul 6, 2011 8:22 PM

NStiches:
How do you add your picture? 

Hi Jan,

Just click on the ball of yarn where the avatar will go and you'll get instructions for either choosing from some preselected ones or uploading from your computer a picture you like.  Some people have their pets, some have themselves.  ArtfulSoul is a knitter who is so creative she posts a new avatar wearing her latest project for each knit a long.  It can be lots of fun.  To post pictures as you go along just click on the little film strip  icon in the toolbar and upload from your computer.  It's fun to see everyone's projects as we knit along!  Hope this helps.

Sherry

Not Ranked
Posts 12
AlmaH wrote
on Jul 6, 2011 8:23 PM

Just ordered my copy; looking at the illustrated socks, I can't wait....Cookie A can't be bad!   Alma H.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 322
sjc wrote
on Jul 6, 2011 8:30 PM

klandreneau:
What yarn will you use?

Hi Katherine,

I still have to go through my stash to find yarn but I have gobs so that shouldn't be too hard.  I never made socks until the magic loop method came out (hated dpn's...it's the second sock syndrome that gets me!)  I always do two at a time and I like toe up but since I don't have the book yet don't know what Ann Budd uses.  Any pattern can be revised for the magic loop and the thrill of getting both socks done at the same time with exactly the same pattern and number of stitches when you finish was enticement enough for me to learn a new technique!  That's a great idea to use the Quince you had left over...the ruffles of the MSC couldn't have used much yarn.  I may dig out some yarn and at least do a gauge swatch while waiting for the book to arrive.  Good luck with this one!

Sherry

Not Ranked
Posts 4
IslandLady76 wrote
on Jul 6, 2011 8:53 PM

I've never knitted socks before. I started knitting about 3 years ago but mainly scarves, shawls, hats. I have done cables, do you think I would be able to follow this book?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 322
sjc wrote
on Jul 6, 2011 8:55 PM

NStiches:
What is the best way to learn the two socks on one circular needle method?  Any advice for a real beginner?

Hi again Jan,

I took a class to learn the Magic Loop method of knitting two at a time socks but I know people who have either learned from me or from a book.  My favorite book is Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes and I also like Socks From the Toe Up by Wendy D. Johnson.  It would help a lot if you know someone who uses the technique and can show you or maybe you can find a tutorial on YouTube.  I always find it's easier to learn something if I can actually see it done.  Your LYS might be able to get you started as well.

If you are truly a "real beginner" you might want to make a simple pair of socks first--the patterning in Ann's socks looks a little challenging...Good luck!

Sherry

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jul 6, 2011 9:11 PM

This is fantastic.  My book is on its way. Can't wait to get it. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 322
sjc wrote
on Jul 6, 2011 10:29 PM

This is my first gauge swatch...I may do others as I wait for my book but I like this yarn.  It's Mountain Colors Weaver's Wool in "Clearwater" a soft mix of blues, greens, grays.  It swatches out to 8 stitches/inch on #2 needles and I have 350 yds. of it.  I hope that's enough.  I have small feet (size 6).  It's 100% wool so I'd add some nylon at the toes and heels.  It's a start...I also have a yarn with some cashmere it it...yummy so I may swatch it too.  Swatching is half the fun...

A question for anyone who has the book, how much yardage is called for in this first pattern and what is the suggested needle size?  THANKS!

Sherry

Not Ranked
Posts 2
djpru wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 6:55 AM

Perfect!  This is a great idea!  

Not Ranked
Posts 14
semichael wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 7:10 AM

When will this start. Just ordered my book.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
semichael wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 7:16 AM

What needle size does it call for. I have ordered my book but maybe could do the swatch while I wait for the arrival of my book

Not Ranked
Posts 14
semichael wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 7:18 AM

Love this yarn. Beautiful

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 109
SusanD@51 wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 7:18 AM

Great choice of yarn.  I knit 4 pairs of hiking socks for a Grand Canyon hike for myself and 3 fellow hikers out of this yarn and they turned out awesome!!

I'm a sock crazy knitter, always have a pair on my needles to take with me in the car when traveling.  I ordered the Master Class book to try out knitting some new patterns.  Happy Knitting....... Susan

Not Ranked
Posts 1
TamaraW wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 8:45 AM

Just ordered the book and can't wait to get started.  What a great project ALL THE SOCKS!  Tamara

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
CarolM@14 wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 9:26 AM

This sounds like a nice summer project and we will have lots of socks for fall and winter.

Page 4 of 21 (303 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS