Sock Knitting Master Class: Knit Along with Ann Budd

This post has 302 Replies | 34 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
craftcre8r wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 9:28 AM

I'm waiting for my book to arrive and would love to join this KAL, assuming it is a true knit-along.  Perhaps this is more of a blog on Ann Budd's progress.  Details, please!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
sudden wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 9:47 AM

Hi! Now how do I go about this? How do I start? Where do I see everything? Is it here? Is there a date when this starts or has it startet? Please explain some! Thanks! From Sudden

Not Ranked
Posts 6
sudden wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 9:47 AM

Hi! Now how do I go about this? How do I start? Where do I see everything? Is it here? Is there a date when this starts or has it start? Please explain some! Thanks! From Sudden

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Csopi wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 12:16 PM

I just received my book today.  It got here quicker than I thought, since the postal strike just finished here in Canada.  I am going through my stash to find some yarn that will work with the Assymetrical Cables Sock. I love the way the cable swoopes around the foot and up the ankle.  I look forward to Ann's posts!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
CyndyN wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 12:21 PM

Could anyone tell me what size needles we need for the KAL? I would also like feedback on what needles are the best to buy.  Who likes what and why. Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sallid wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 12:52 PM

I learned to knit socks using Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks which is a great book for the beginning sock knittter.  Looking forward to learning new techniques and having lots of fun knitting socks!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bikecanoeski wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 12:53 PM

Hi

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and we don't have any LYS, the closest one for me is over 100 miles away!  So getting yarn is a very special thing for me.  I did preorder the book online and have read it cover to cover. 

I have been trying to figure out the best method for me to knit socks and I've arrived at two at a time, toe up, one needle.  That way I can make them as long as my yarn will go and there is never a second sock syndrome. 

I hope I can keep up with the KAL with the distance involved for yarn.  I could order it online, but I want to do my part in keeping  my shop going.  We shall see!

Beth

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,337
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 7, 2011 1:03 PM

From Ann Budd:
I'm making good progress on Cookie A's Asymmetrical Cables in Sock Knitting Master Class.

I have made a few changes and came up with a few tips so far that might help you if you decide to knit these socks for yourself (and I heartily encourage you to do so).

• The finished sizes are for 8" or 9" foot circumference but my foot measures 8 1/2". So, I added 4 stitches (the gauge is 8 sts/inch) and cast on 68 sts instead of 64. This adds a full repeat of the k2, p2 rib and the extra sts will be worked in stockinette so they won't interfere with the cable pattern. I worked the Inc rnd at the beginning of the cable pattern as: k1, p6, k1fbf, p6, k38 (instead of 34), p6, k1fbf, k1, p6, k1 to end up with 72 sts for the leg.

• I used the Old Norwegian cast-on to ensure a stretchy edge.

• To make the upper leg a little bigger to accommodate my calf muscle (well, there's not much muscle, but there is a bulge), I cast on and knitted with needles one size larger than needed to get the specified gauge. For this yarn, I got the correct gauge with size 2 (2.75 mm) needles so I started with size 3 needles for the top half of the leg. The photo above shows where I'll change to the "real" needles.

• At first I didn't notice the difference between the Left Cable Panel and the Right Cable Panel. They are the same except for the direction of the cable twist on the first row, so as long as you get the first row right (which I didn't the first time), you can read your knitting to know which way to turn subsequent cables.

• Another thing I noticed after a few rounds is that garter st is worked inside the cable medallions. If you remember that these center sts are knitted on the rounds that involve cable turns, it will be easy to remember when to knit and when to purl them.

• I rarely use a row counter. I kept track of the number of rows worked even in the center of the medallions by counting the purl ridges. There will be 4 garter ridges between Rnd 5 and Rnd 13 of the cable panels.

—Ann

P.S. I'm also putting these posts on my blog, so come on over if you're so inclined.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
goldenfleece wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 1:12 PM

This sounds like a great knit-a-long.  When will it begin?  How do I join and will there be a web site or blog site for the knit-a-long? 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
sox-a-plenty wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 1:54 PM

What a super idea.  KALs are such a wonderful way to learn.  Hope I can keep up.  My book is on its way, but I am already picking up hints from Ann's posts.  Thanks all.

Sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,337
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 7, 2011 2:38 PM

Question: How do I join the knit-along?

Answer: This forum is the knit-along; there's no schedule or alternate blog (although you can visit Ann's blog if you want to). This is informal, although I expect that we'll all be learning a ton from Ann and from each other.

All you need to do is get the book and knit each sock in order, along with Ann. You don't even need to keep up with her, or anyone else. Just knit your way through the book, posting questions, tips, or whatever you want that's related to sock knitting.

Hope this helps!

Kathleen

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 50
judy@160 wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 3:43 PM

Janet

You pick a yarn, pick a pattern and join in. I haven't gotton the book yet but can't wait.  I have a tub of sock yarn just screaming out to be knitted.

Hope to see you along the way.

Judy

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
on Jul 8, 2011 7:23 AM

The yarn I'll be using is Heritage Sock Yarn by Cascade Yarns in a navy. I'm planning on giving these to my boss for Christmas. It swatched up using size 2 needles (the 1s were too small). The cuff is done and I'm ready to kick-off the leg! YAY! :)

Not Ranked
Posts 11
NStiches wrote
on Jul 8, 2011 8:35 AM

Thanks sjc,

As you can see it worked!

Jan

Not Ranked
Posts 10
SmokeysMom wrote
on Jul 8, 2011 12:37 PM

What a great look - please be sure to post picture of finished socks -- would love to see cables worked up in this pattern.

Page 5 of 21 (303 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS