This post has 1,785 Replies | 101 Followers rated by 18 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,542
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 6, 2011 2:14 PM

The Bella Blouse by Norah Gaughan
The winner for the mid-summer knit-along is the Bella Blouse by Norah Gaughan! Visit the Knitting Daily Store to get your pattern download. Please note that the pattern was only mentioned in the Spring 2007 issue of Interweave Knits. It was available as a limited-time download and is now only available in the Knitting Daily Store.

The Bella is so beautiful and unique—I can't wait to get started.

First off, we have a yarn issue. The yarns that the Bella was designed for are discontinued, so I did a search and found a few alternates, listed below. Both of the original yarns are worsted weight, knitted at 5 stitches per inch, so their are tons of options. My suggestions are summery yarns, with a little shine in the contrasting edging options.

Body
KnitPicks Comfy Worsted
Berroco Linsey
Cascade Cotton Rich
Cascade Pima Silk
Cascade Sierra

Edging
Berroco Glint (for a little bling!)
Cascade Pearls
KnitPicks Shine Worsted

Here's the schedule (very generous since we're all extra busy during the summer and early fall):

July 8-July 17: Choose yarn and swatch.
July 18-August 15: Knit bottom band and blouse back.
August 16-September 13: Knit blouse front and neck inserts.
September 14-September 28: Knit sleeves and complete finishing. (And post photos along the way!)

Three of our knitters have provided alternate charts for the bottom band. Click on the links below to download the charts.

Janice's Chart
Intoxyk8's Charts (All three of Intoxyk8's charts are in this file)
Erica's Chart

And here's Erica's chart for the sleeve insert:
Erica's Sleeve Chart

New forums added: The I'm Adding Sleeves to Bella forum and the I'm Knitting Bella in the Round forum.

Now off we go!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
sduyka wrote
on Jul 6, 2011 7:30 PM

I am excited to get started! This will be a huge challenge for me since I am somewhat of a beginning knitter. I am anxious to see how a "knit-along" works. 

Not Ranked
Posts 11
vickild wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 7:38 AM

I just ordered the pattern download. I'm going to check in my stash to see what I have that will make this beautiful blouse. I love it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
on Jul 7, 2011 8:05 AM

Hi!  Joan here....

So excited that Bella Blouse won!! Great mindes....although the other 3 were pretty as well.  Just fell in love with Bella Blouse.

Not the hunt for the right yarn and trim!!!  Kathleen, thanks for the generous timeline.  That's helpful.   Joan

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 32
Tgene52 wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 9:33 AM

Ok, I'm in, will make a small one for one of the granddaughters, will pick my yarn this weekend.  I've not done a knit along but this looks like a good one. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 10:06 AM

I don't have the pattern or the mag. so am wondering -  What size needles?  K says original yarn was knitted 5 sts. per in. in worsted weight, but on what size needles?  All the yarn charts read that worsted weight is #4 & at 16-20 sts per in. in stockinette st.

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 10:26 AM

ZassZ:

I don't have the pattern or the mag. so am wondering -  What size needles?  K says original yarn was knitted 5 sts. per in. in worsted weight, but on what size needles?  All the yarn charts read that worsted weight is #4 & at 16-20 sts per in. in stockinette st.

Hi ZassZ, and all,

There are two needle sizes 4mm and 4.5mm to use in the pattern.  If you click on the place where it says download pattern now, it takes you to the page where it specifies these things and gives you a place to click on for the pattern.

Happy knitting, Zoë Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 10:47 AM

Zoe, 

Oh thanks Zoe.  I will go over and check right now.  I didn't realise I could find that info until after I actually downloaded the pattern.  So that is good!  Then I can decide. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,542
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 7, 2011 10:56 AM

Here are the pattern details, including gauge, yarn, needles, etc.

Finished Size 341⁄2 (381⁄2, 421⁄2, 461⁄2, 501⁄2)" bust circumference. Top shown measures 341⁄2".
Yarn Berroco Cotton Twist (70% mercerized cotton, 30% rayon; 85 yd [78 m]/50 g): #8345 Sensei (copper; A), 5 (6, 7, 8, 8) skeins. Berroco Touché (50% cotton, 50% rayon; 89 yd [81 m]/50 g): #7970 nectar (orange; B), 4 (5, 5, 6, 6) skeins.
Needles Sizes 6 (4 mm) and 7 (4.5 mm). Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.
Notions Removable markers (m); tapestry needle.
Gauge 20 sts and 26 rows = 4" in St st with A on larger needles.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 4:21 PM

You deleted my post and corrected your own....Nicely done Editor.

KELLEIGH~~

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
CarolM@14 wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 5:18 PM

I cannot find the pattern in Interweave Knits Summer 2007??????????????

Not Ranked
Posts 3
hfairfax wrote
on Jul 8, 2011 5:41 AM

Hi there! I'm a new knitter too so my greatest fear is that I'll start this knit along, get discouraged and quit. (I seem to do that with a lot of new projects, sigh.) Best of luck to all of you! Let's make some Bella Blouses. Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 3
suntankid wrote
on Jul 8, 2011 5:46 AM

This pattern has been on my list for over a year so when I saw it in the knit-along of course I voted for it. K, thanks for the suggestions on what can be used as substitutes.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Brookfield wrote
on Jul 8, 2011 6:03 AM

Hello Kathleen...is this a beginner ...intermediate...etc. project? I love the Bella Blouse but wonder if I have the ability to knit it. Can this project be done without the intricate lace?

Have a great day,

Paula

Not Ranked
Posts 9
monelia wrote
on Jul 8, 2011 6:15 AM

I got my pattern download.

OK! Let's go

Page 1 of 120 (1786 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS