The Official Bella Blouse Knit-Along Forum

This post has 1,785 Replies | 101 Followers rated by 18 users
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Jo AnneL wrote
on Sep 18, 2011 4:22 PM

vehuddle:

Well, as you can see, I did the Bella "Cardigan" instead of the Bella top.  I didn't think I would like the sleeveless top, so I re-designed it to be a cardigan with the lace trim all the way around the outer edges and with a Chinese knot closure (see Knitting Daily link for info on doing this:  http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2008/10/24/handmade-closures-chinese-knot.aspx).   I am also not a big fan of lavender, but this is the most beautiful shade of lavender I have ever seen and I thought it would look better in a cardigan (ok, ok I am a cardigan fanatic!).

I used Austermann Algarve Grande 100% mercerized cotton -color 0322 and this is a wonderful cotton yarn.  Since it is a thin worsted wgt. I used a size 7 for the body and size 5 for lace.  The lace was a little tricky to get around the curved edges on the front, but it is laying flat now that I have wet blocked it.  I made the body pieces and then sewed the trim on.  To get the leaf design to "point up" on both fronts, I worked the trim in 2 pieces:  one that started at the right side seam and came around to the front and up to the neck and the other started at the right side seam, went across the back,  up the front and joined at the back neck (the picture shows is being off-center, but it is actually in the center back).

Now that I have seen all of the wonderful tops the rest of you have done, I may make a top!

Your did a beautiful job!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Jo AnneL wrote
on Sep 18, 2011 4:26 PM

Message for oxid8.  Would it be possible for us to exchange e-mails.  I have been working on figuring out the math for the armholes and sleeve and my brain has gone south.  I did have the Interweave Knits article and was working from it, but I'm still confused. 

My e-mail is joaletempt@charter.net

Thank you for all your help.  I would like to add you to my friends.

Jo AnneL.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 51
moonquilter wrote
on Sep 18, 2011 7:12 PM

vehuddle,

Love your "Cardigan" Bella.....the lavender is a great color!.........."seeing is believing" with all the wonderful knits!!

Vickie  aka moonquilter

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 27
Sewesie wrote
on Sep 19, 2011 8:03 AM

Thank you for the help.  It seemed to me,too, to be a problem with the BOs.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 40
tongarii wrote
on Sep 19, 2011 9:41 AM

Really liked what you did with the cardigan.  I may make this again with your mods.  Very creative!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 22, 2011 2:36 PM

Hi Anne, 

Want to thank you for posting your pic and the yarns you used.  If I am not mistaken you posted very early on a pic of the yarns in your stash that you were considering using.  As I remember it, the colors were close to yours so I am guessing you were the knitter who posted re using these yarns from your stash.  At the time, I really immediately thought they would make a very nice Bella and they did.  Love your treatment of the pattern.  I was attracted to the Bella from the original yarn colors in the pattern pic but could not get them and thus the reason I didn't do. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
Katenh50 wrote
on Sep 22, 2011 5:26 PM

Hi Erica,

Don't want to be a pest, but any chance you have had a chance to do the neck inserts. 

Thanks

Kathy

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 45
Anne Guyton wrote
on Sep 22, 2011 5:38 PM

Thank you, ZassZ , for your note.  I actually didn't have the yarns I used for my Bella in my "stash"... I bought them at my local yarn shop for the project.  I was nervous as to the drape of the yarns, and how it would turn out and fit!  But, I think I received good advice on the yarn substitutions.  You should try to give the Bella a try.  Doing the lace inserts were alot of fun with the helpful charts that others have posted.  This KAL was great  and I am curious about the next one.  

Not Ranked
Posts 5
mkbourn wrote
on Sep 24, 2011 3:38 PM

Very pretty indeed. I was toying with altering the pattern, too, but in the end I knit it as written.

I finally finished seaming the sleeve insets, today. The knitting's been done for a month. I just couldn't find the time during the needed daylight hours to get this done! In end, I'm quite pleased. How the sleeve insets actually fit, I'll never understand, but fit they do. No math involved in the seaming. I started at the shoulder seams and just did mattress stitch bar-for-bar. Amazing! I did the neck edges a few weeks ago. Took me hours, but they fit equally easily.

I'm thrilled with the finished results, but I'm discouraged because the sweater is too short on me. I've contemplated "fixing" this, but have decided the Bella will make a fabulous birthday/Christmas present for my sister in law. The sleeveless, 100% cotton sweater will be perfect for the Saudi winter!

A few notes to share:

• I did block all the inset pieces pre-assembly. Made the seaming much easier in the end.
  • I also knit it in the round, primarily because of the leaf waistband. If I do this knit, again, I will separate the waistband into two pieces, and knit the front and back separately making the sweater more a tunic length. I like the way it falls on the stick-thin model in the pattern pictures. The design as is does not do that on the wider girth. This pattern should work for my proportional, if larger, figure, but the sweater doesn't hang right with the bottom band knit as one piece. I'd rather this fell like a tunic, with slits on the sides.
  • I like the Provence yarn for this tremendously and will use it, again.
  • I also like the leaf pattern, now that I've mastered it! It nearly defeated me (15 attempts before I finally "got" it.)

There are plenty of picts on my ravelry page if you're curious, but here's the finished beauty. It needs to be washed and blocked assembled, but it's done.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
oxid8 wrote
on Sep 25, 2011 2:12 PM

Beautiful!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
ehlertn wrote
on Sep 25, 2011 2:43 PM

Everyone's Bellas turned out great!  So many variations that prove knitting is an artistic interpretation of creativity.  I hope everyone enjoys wearing (or gifting) their Bellas as much as I have!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 85
Chris Essler wrote
on Sep 28, 2011 10:24 AM

Today is the day all Bella knitters turn into pumpkins!!  As for me, I am knitting away at the back (while sitting in the pumpkin patch.). My leaf band is passable, and I am inching my way toward the armholes.  I think whatever Kathleen picks next, it will never be as challenging as this one was!  I will keep on going, but "the knowledge" preserved in this KAL will be my guide.  Thanks All!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
newmoon wrote
on Sep 28, 2011 12:52 PM

Awesome! You must be a math whiz also!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
newmoon wrote
on Sep 28, 2011 12:55 PM

Classy color combination. I would never have put those two together. Looks great!

Barbara

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 160
Beehiveof8 wrote
on Sep 28, 2011 1:44 PM

Ah, ummm... well, I'm not even close to finishing this project!   Stick out tongue  LOL  A few other things have popped up since we started and now I'm getting into knitting for the holidays and stocking up my Etsy shop with some baby quilts, dish clothes, and fingerless gloves, so the Bella is on hold for now.   I do find time every so often when I am plain too tired to work anything with a chart as I am knitting in the round an only a few inches into the body.  When I get to the armholes.... well, I'll deal with that when I get there!

This whole this was interrupted by flooding a few weeks ago in our area, and we still have some clean up to do in the church basement, but other than that all is well.  I can't wait to see what the next KAL will be, though I will have to enjoy it afar from my side of the WEB here.  

Busily knitting, sewing, schooling, and living life,

~Lisa

Chris Essler:

Today is the day all Bella knitters turn into pumpkins!!  As for me, I am knitting away at the back (while sitting in the pumpkin patch.). My leaf band is passable, and I am inching my way toward the armholes.  I think whatever Kathleen picks next, it will never be as challenging as this one was!  I will keep on going, but "the knowledge" preserved in this KAL will be my guide.  Thanks All!

Page 118 of 120 (1786 items) « First ...  < Previous  116 117 118 119 120  Next > | RSS