knitting on planes

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Marsha wrote
on Jun 27, 2008 11:00 PM

I've just joined and have read about you knitting in airports and on planes. I have a long international flight coming up and would feel less nervous (having done this trip many times already) and stressed if I could knit. What needles are allowed through security? Years ago I took my knitting but thought these days it wasn't allowed. I always take my knitting or cross stitch with me apart from air travel now. Thanks. Marsha

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
ElizaH wrote
on Jun 28, 2008 12:04 AM

Hi Martha,

I certainly agree that we need to knit on flights. Others I know have had their needles along with some pens etc, and no one has bothered. I have taken bamboo knitting needles and that was fine. And cross stitch - I can't imagine that small needles - kept with your pens etc would be a problem?? Of course I don't actually  know about regulations. In any case I wouldn't start knitting till I got onboard. So as not to have to take everything off the needles in case they make a fuss.

Eliza

Not Ranked
Posts 1
LynnF@2 wrote
on Jun 28, 2008 1:20 AM

I've been taking my knitting on international and domestic flights for years, as do most of my friends. We usually use wooden needles, preferably circular. Most of the airlines have information on their websites regarding what you can and can't bring onboard.  

Not Ranked
Posts 2
JudithC wrote
on Jun 28, 2008 5:52 AM

Hi Marsha, I think it depends on the airline and it is worth checking first as I do know people who have had needles confiscated which is a nuisance when you have to take the work off. I don't take anything big now but have found that crochet on a bone hook has been ok and once I cut a wooden cable needle in half and knitted lace on the two halves which were just long enough! Something like the fireside lace pattern from here would work. It worked so well that when my daughter saw my knitted lace pattern she got me to knit it much longer for her fireplace and I had to post it back to her. (she lives in the US and I live in France) Its nice to be occupied but good to be safe. Happy travelling. Judith

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS