Official Bella Blouse Knit-Along: KNITTING IN THE ROUND FORUM

This post has 72 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 9, 2011 8:48 AM

Janet, Decreasing 30 stitches (6") on the first round will have a noticeable affect in the drape.  I'd start over and just pick up the 200 stitches (roughly, picking up 3 stitches in every 4 rows of band  -- more precisely, picking up 10 stitches in every 13 rows of band).  Hope that helps, robin

SusanD@51:

JKH44:

Susan,

Thanks for the help, I am going to knit it they you said.  I still don't get the 260 sts. when I read it I come up with 200sts. but I am way too new at knitting that I am going with what you said and pick up 260 sts.  When I get alittle farther I will post a picture hopefully my will turn out,  like all the other beautiful sweaters posted.

Janet

Janet,

There are 260 rows on the band and the directions want you to find the middle of the band which is 130 on each side of the middle.  Pick up 100 stitches on each side of the middle to equal 200 stitches on the circular needle.  If you have already picked up the 260 stitches you need to decrease in the first round 30 stitches on each side, front and back, evenly spaced along each side.  Hope that helps clarify.  Picking up and knitting the 260 stitches will give you a much larger size than gauge.

Susan

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
JKH44 wrote
on Aug 9, 2011 2:49 PM

I only ended up picking up 200 sts. I decided to stick with what I thought was right and I am glad that I did.  It looks nice so far.  I am doing my decrease every 1 1/4 inch I am doing the k2tog, m,ssk.  that s for all your help and I will post a picture soon.

Janet

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
yarngirl52 wrote
on Aug 12, 2011 8:50 AM

I don't know if this has been discussed, but where are we supposed to be now in the process? The schedule is to have the band and the back done by Aug 15th.

Second question: Are people knitting the back alone after dividing for the armholes? Or are we to knit the back and front together using separate balls of yarn?

Debbie

please visit my blog www.amigraineur@wordpress.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 109
SusanD@51 wrote
on Aug 12, 2011 7:14 PM

yarngirl52:

I don't know if this has been discussed, but where are we supposed to be now in the process? The schedule is to have the band and the back done by Aug 15th.

Second question: Are people knitting the back alone after dividing for the armholes? Or are we to knit the back and front together using separate balls of yarn?

Hi Yarngirl52 (Debbie)

I read your bio and you sound just like me.  I have been knitting since 8th grade.  I have knit off and on since college but in the last few years have picked it up and knit more.  I am 59 and love making socks!!!  I always have a pair on my needles.  Good luck on the Bella Blouse, I'm enjoying the KAL eventhough I'm working at my own pace.

Susan

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 12, 2011 11:34 PM

yarngirl52:

Hi Debbie, I knit the back up first, then worked up the front (each side separately).  Robin

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
yarngirl52 wrote
on Aug 13, 2011 10:40 AM

robin e:

yarngirl52:

Hi Debbie, I knit the back up first, then worked up the front (each side separately).  Robin

Thanks. That is what I was going to do. Didn't think about doing the fronts separately, but maybe I will try it. How low does the neck opening go? I dont' want to show cleavage, not that I have any.Wink

Debbie

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 13, 2011 5:58 PM

Debbie, Everyone seems to be doing different things about the neck opening.  I'm doing size 38", and I raised my neck opening to start at the same time as the underarm decreases.  I'm glad to report: no cleavage showing. robin

yarngirl52:

robin e:

yarngirl52:

Thanks. That is what I was going to do. Didn't think about doing the fronts separately, but maybe I will try it. How low does the neck opening go? I dont' want to show cleavage, not that I have any.Wink

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
yarngirl52 wrote
on Aug 14, 2011 6:59 AM

Someone may have said this, but if you are knitting any of the first 3 sizes, knit the front first. The front neck shaping is lower than the armhole shaping by 1.5". You can always add the 1.5" to the back and then do the back armhole shaping, but you can't make the front shorter after you have knit the back. I learned the hard way, so my front neck opening is 1.5" higher than the pattern calls for. It may not be a big deal, but I won't know that until I can try it on.

Debbie

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
Lightwriter wrote
on Aug 15, 2011 4:40 AM

Help!!  I am knitting a sweater in the round for the first time.  I got the back done fine. The stitches for the front were on a holder.  Now I am completely confused where to continue from on the pattern.  I was knitting along straight, thinking I had more decreasing to do, forgetting I was already at the armhole and wondering where all the yarn was going.  Frogging time.  Darn, this thing could have almost been finished by now!!

WHERE ON THE PATTERN DO I PICK BACK UP ON FOR THE FRONT?? At the armhole shaping??

Please, someone, answer today so I can finish this thing before I go nuts.  Maybe knitting this thing in the round wasn't such a good idea after all....

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 155
klandreneau wrote
on Aug 15, 2011 5:56 AM

Lightwriter:
Please, someone, answer today so I can finish this thing before I go nuts.  Maybe knitting this thing in the round wasn't such a good idea after all....

Good Morning!  I'll try to help-- Are you working on the front now?  The armhole shaping for the front starts immediately, at the same place you started for the back.  The center front decreases begin differently for the different sizes--check the pattern--it is a little confusing at first.  I didn't read my instructions well and didn't start my center front BO where I should have so--oh well!--will just do them the same time I start the armhole decreases...I'm not frogging!  And I think I may like that it is a little "higher" at the center front....

I'll check back after while to see how you are doing.....

Katherine

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
yarngirl52 wrote
on Aug 15, 2011 10:08 AM

Lightwriter:

Help!!  I am knitting a sweater in the round for the first time.  I got the back done fine. The stitches for the front were on a holder.  Now I am completely confused where to continue from on the pattern.  I was knitting along straight, thinking I had more decreasing to do, forgetting I was already at the armhole and wondering where all the yarn was going.  Frogging time.  Darn, this thing could have almost been finished by now!!

WHERE ON THE PATTERN DO I PICK BACK UP ON FOR THE FRONT?? At the armhole shaping??

Depending on what size you are knitting, you either start the front neck opening lower than the armholes, at the armholes or above the armhole. I am making the smallest size and I should have knit the front first so I could have stopped both the front and the back at 11", knit the front, picked up the back stitches, knit to 12.5" and then started the back armholes.

However, I didn't knit the front first so my options were to have the front neck opening start with the front armholes or to frog the back and the front to 11" and knit the front first. I took the first option. We will see if it works. Hope this helps.

Debbie

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Shirleymk wrote
on Aug 17, 2011 1:00 PM

Hi there, I am way behind the rest of you.  I have been hung up on the band.  The first one I completed was too loose, so I redid it.  MJy problem is I am completing this in the round and intended to use the kitchener stitch and now I am not sure it will work.  Every discusses joining the band but not how they joined it.  How should I join the band? I have live stitches on both ends.

Shirley

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Aug 17, 2011 1:59 PM

Shirley Kirkland:

Hi there, I am way behind the rest of you.  I have been hung up on the band.  The first one I completed was too loose, so I redid it.  MJy problem is I am completing this in the round and intended to use the kitchener stitch and now I am not sure it will work.  Every discusses joining the band but not how they joined it.  How should I join the band? I have live stitches on both ends.

I'm not closing the band until after I've finished. I just picked up the 220 stitches along the band and started knitting the body. The gap where the band isn't joined up to itself is a great way to remind yourself of where your rows end! Of course I also use stitch markers - where the side seams are and centre front and back - but the gap has been very useful to me.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Shirleymk wrote
on Aug 17, 2011 3:02 PM

Interesting, I had not thought about leaving it open.  What are your plans on closing it? Or is that a bridge you will cross when you get there?

Shirley

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 18, 2011 9:54 AM

Shirley Kirkland:

Shirley

Hi Shirley,  I joined the band before picking up stitches, mostly just because I thought it would be simpler without the extra knitting there.  I joined by a standard seam (sorry, I don't know the name), but I wasn't thrilled with it (most likely, I wasn't thrilled with my own seaming handiwork, not the seam itself!).  For my next bella, I thought I'll keep the stitches live and close with kitchener stitch.  I am curious, what problem or issue do you anticipate with a kitchener close?

Page 4 of 5 (73 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS