Official Bella Blouse Knit-Along: KNITTING IN THE ROUND FORUM

This post has 72 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Shirleymk wrote
on Aug 18, 2011 4:40 PM

Thanks Robin for responding.  My problem was two fold. One, was I have never completed the stitch and two I was told because there and knits, purls and yarnover I could not do it.  I am going to make a swatch and try the kitchener stitch on it.  I tried the 3 needle bind off and not overly pleased with it.  Will let you know tomorrow which one I like best between the two.

Shirley

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 18, 2011 10:53 PM

Shirley Kirkland:

Thanks Robin for responding.  My problem was two fold. One, was I have never completed the stitch and two I was told because there and knits, purls and yarnover I could not do it.  I am going to make a swatch and try the kitchener stitch on it.  I tried the 3 needle bind off and not overly pleased with it.  Will let you know tomorrow which one I like best between the two.

Shirley

I see the point - the 'row' created by the kitchener stitch won't match with the pattern.  Perhaps this is why I didn't like my seam attempt.  But it just being at the side of the hip, I'm not terribly bothered by this.

I'll definitely like to see your results!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
LeighB@9 wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 11:17 AM

I am finished with the blouse, but am probably going to add some length.  I'll take some work, undoing the bottom band, but it'll be worth it.  It's way too short as it is.  I did do it in the round, though, up to the armpits and I made the sleeves slightly longer.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 34
rockync wrote
on Aug 29, 2011 2:46 PM

So while I was waiting for my arm injury to get better, I took stock of my original Bella and decided there were things I did not like. For one the yarn knitted up too thick and the decreases made it too tight across the chest. So, I tried different yarns and settled on a silk/bamboo blend. It is physically heavier than the acrylic/bamboo I was hoping to use but that kept splitting and I thought it would ruin the look of the trim pieces.

So, I changed yarn, went from two colors to one, knitted it straight without decreases, modified the straps so the arm inserts would cover a bit of my upper arm and lengthened it. I also copied andrea's most excellent idea to knit the neck inserts in instead of adding them later.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 51
moonquilter wrote
on Aug 29, 2011 4:00 PM

rockync:

So while I was waiting for my arm injury to get better, I took stock of my original Bella and decided there were things I did not like. For one the yarn knitted up too thick and the decreases made it too tight across the chest. So, I tried different yarns and settled on a silk/bamboo blend. It is physically heavier than the acrylic/bamboo I was hoping to use but that kept splitting and I thought it would ruin the look of the trim pieces.

So, I changed yarn, went from two colors to one, knitted it straight without decreases, modified the straps so the arm inserts would cover a bit of my upper arm and lengthened it. I also copied andrea's most excellent idea to knit the neck inserts in instead of adding them later.

Congrats on finishing!!!  I too like the idea of knitting on the neck inserts...I will try it next Bella!  THe one color makes it more "elegant" I think.

VickieYes

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Shirleymk wrote
on Aug 29, 2011 8:40 PM

Yes, I too like the solid color.  I also liked the sleeve cap. I put mine aside for a while, I hope to pick it up again before the end of the week.  Trying to do too much.  I have three other sweaters going.

Shirley

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Shirleymk wrote
on Aug 29, 2011 8:44 PM

Yes,  I like the sollid color and the sleeve caps.  I put mine aside for a while.  I hope to pick it back up before the end of the week.  I have three other projects going.

Shirley

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Aug 31, 2011 9:52 AM

Hi Annie/rockync, Our bellas look very similar.  Good to hear and see(!) that your arm is healed. I found the "v" needs reinforcement (the stitch at the point where the neck opening starts seems to stretch, which I think would have been better secured with the bind-off.  Did you find this to be the case in yours?  [ps.  I liked your original colors as well.]

For those thinking of knitting the neck lace along with the front body:  Having knitted the neck lace in this way, and doing the sleeve-caps as a 'knitted-on border', I think in the future, I'd do the entire neck also as a 'knitted-on border' (ie, picking up stitches around the neck after the front and back are done).  Two main reasons:  (1)  the "v" would be stronger, and (2)  if anything needs to be frogged/tinked, it's easier. 

I've posted a number of pics of pieces of my bella (on the main forum page), but not the complete finished job yet!  Energized by numerous others re-workings, I'm thinking of taking out the sleeve caps and adding sleeves to my original bella (instead of my 2nd bella!).  I've had to put it aside for the past week; other work (my "day-job") is starting to take up more time....  Hope to post a full finished bella soon!

robin

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 34
rockync wrote
on Sep 4, 2011 10:06 AM

Robin, I did reinforce the V with a couple of stitches also, otherwise it would have been sort of stretchy and unfinished looking. I love the color and using the single color but if I do this again, I will experiment with yarns to find on that is physically lighter in weight. The silk bamboo is a heavy garment.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 34
rockync wrote
on Sep 4, 2011 10:08 AM

Thanks Vickie, all in all I am happy with it.

Shirley, while I was waiting for this to block and for yarn to come in etc, I knitted up a kimono sweater that I've been wanting to try! I think we are knitting addicts, LOL!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Shirleymk wrote
on Sep 4, 2011 8:44 PM

You can bet your yarn on my being a knitting addict.  So good to know that I have fellow knitters in the same boat.  My goal is to finish up at least 5 of my projects including the Bella Blouse by the end of the year.  Good luck

Shirley

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
yarngirl52 wrote
on Nov 27, 2011 1:33 PM

Well I finished it on time and I took pics. Just got sidetracked as to posting. Had a hard time putting the neck pieces in . Got them in backwards and upside down. Third time is the charm.

Debbie

please visit my blog www.amigraineur@wordpress.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jan 10, 2013 1:38 PM

Hello, I am an advance beginner on Knitting and I found a free Dress Pattern here at Interweave..Which is " Panbe Dress"  I am a bit confused where will I begin the Lace Panel . For sure the Back part work only with Stockinette Stitch, am I right?  Also I am looking for your Video tutorial on how to join Raglan.. I usually begin some f my Raglan Pullover at Top  ( Top Down ) So I am confused when it comes from Bottom to Top..

Pls help me.. Thank you very much and God bless

Page 5 of 5 (73 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5 | RSS