Sock Knitting Master Class KAL: Almondine Socks

This post has 20 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,448
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 26, 2011 4:29 PM

This is the knit-along forum for the Almondine pattern from Sock Knitting Master Class by Ann Budd.

If you're wondering how to add photos, click here!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
nancyp@92 wrote
on Aug 3, 2011 1:34 PM

HOW DO I JOIN THE KAL?  HAVE THE BOOK ALREADY AND LOVE THE PATTERNS. 

THANKS,

NANCY

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 58
mamadeitz wrote
on Aug 4, 2011 8:47 PM

just start making the Almondine socks. i have started sock #1 and am on round 2 of the first pattern. It is much easier than asymmetrical sock. i am using classic elite yarn  Summer Sox. it makes it own stripes and the colors are pink, purple and a tan. I will post picture whe i get a little further alont.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 58
mamadeitz wrote
on Aug 5, 2011 10:59 AM

here is my sock started 1st 16 rounds i am making smallest size.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 310
sjc wrote
on Aug 8, 2011 1:48 PM

I'm also skipping sock #2 and starting on the Almondine socks.  It is easier, in a way, than the first one but a word of caution...unless you are an absolutely fearless lace knitter, use a lifelline.  I didn't to start with and ended up with two dripped stitches WAAAY down there and had to rip it all out.  I'm using one now Sad  What's the expression about closing the barn door after the horse is out???  I'm a pretty good lace knitter (not an expert by any means) but this yarn is so teensy tiny it's easy to drop a stitch and not realize it until much later.  Use a lifeline.

I'm knitting with Mountain Colors in Crazyfoot Harmony Teal.  I'll post a picture when I have more done.  It was looking nice until I had to frog Sad

Sherry

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
JudyW wrote
on Aug 10, 2011 9:46 AM

I started the Almondine socks last night, using a Tanis Fiber Arts purple label yarn, skipping French Market socks also.  The comments from Ann, corrections, etc. are really a wonderful addendum to the book.  However, stuffing them into the book by the appropriate pattern was clearly going to make the book very difficult to use and really messy.  So I've used my multiple-page sheet protectors, one for each sock pattern, and put them into a notebook which will be shelved with "Master Class".  

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Aug 13, 2011 5:42 PM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Aug 13, 2011 5:48 PM

JudyW:
The comments from Ann, corrections, etc. are really a wonderful addendum to the book.  However, stuffing them into the book by the appropriate pattern was clearly going to make the book very difficult to use and really messy.  So I've used my multiple-page sheet protectors, one for each sock pattern, and put them into a notebook which will be shelved with "Master Class".  

What a great idea. I may do this myself just for notes when I went wrong on the first ones!!!!Tongue Tied

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 28
on Aug 22, 2011 7:08 AM

YAY! I'm in .... again!  Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,448
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Aug 22, 2011 12:25 PM

From Ann Budd:

I've decided to knit Anne Hanson's Almondine socks out of Kollage Sock-a-Licious (70% superwash merino, 10% silk, 20% nylon) in the color called Purple Heart. After the French Market Socks, I think this pair will be a breeze.

I get the correct gauge of 8 sts/inch in stocinette on Signature size 2 needles. Don't you just love the way the needles coordinate with the yarn?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,448
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Aug 22, 2011 12:30 PM

From Ann Budd:

Even though my sister and her husband were visiting for the last week, I've made respectable progress on Anne Hanson's Almondine sock from Sock Knitting Master Class. The sharp points on my Signature needles make easy work of k2tog and ssk decreases, plus they coordinate so well with the yarn (Kollage Sock-a-Liscous) that I just love to knit with them.

For me, this pattern is very straightforward and easy. I'm making the third size (9" foot circumference), but I plan to only work 4 repeats of the lace pattern (as for the second size) before I start the heel. Otherwise, I think the sock will be too long for my liking. I may also need to make the foot a bit shorter (since my foot actually measures 8 1/2"). We'll see.

So far, the only adjustments I've made are to use the Old Norwegian cast-on (p.39) and I used one size larger needles (size U.S. 3) for the cast-on, ribbing, and the first 2 repeats of the lace pattern.

I haven't found anything tricky so I don't have any tips yet. Stay tuned.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Aug 23, 2011 7:17 PM

Finished them up and on the blockers . This was a fun pattern and I love doing this heel, it comes out so easy and smooth. I will do this pattern again.  Used a Dream in Color Starry  and it gauged great on needle size.  I knit pretty tight  so didn't come out as lacy as they looked on the pattern.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 310
sjc wrote
on Aug 24, 2011 7:36 PM

Judy@160,

Your socks turned out beautiful, I love the blue though the pic doesn't really show the "stars" very well.  Alas, mine are still only about two inches from the cuff Sad . Distractions abound...

Sherry

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,448
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Aug 25, 2011 11:47 AM

From Ann Budd:

I finished the Almondine socks and happily, you can barely notice that the toes are knitted with a different yarn—I ended up using about 30 yards of Lorna's Laces for the toes. The color match is even better than I thought.

Now, before any of you start thinking that there isn't enough yardage in Kollage Sock-a-Licious to make a pair of socks, let me be perfectly clear. I chose to knit the third size for a 9" circumference, which is larger than even my big feet. And the leg measures 11 1/2" long from the top of the cuff to the base of the heel, which is 2 1/2" longer than I normally knit the legs on my socks.

If I had knitted these socks at a more normal 8" circumference and worked the leg to my standard length, there would have been plenty of yarn to finish the socks. And as soon as I get another skein of this yarn I'm going to prove it by knitting a "normal" pair!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Aug 25, 2011 7:03 PM

sjc:
Distractions abound...

Sherry,

I have had a few myself. Hope you had a great vacation!!

I should let you know that I lost PA( my 20 + year old kitty ) on Monday night.  It has been a very long week.

I will bring them in so you can see the finished project.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS