Fabulous Projects completed lately?

This post has 853 Replies | 19 Followers rated by 6 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 12, 2010 9:09 PM

Hi Yogama,

Yes I do remember.  I think you mentioned that little denim jacket too.  It's nice to do a little something different for a change and a less bulky project like the lace is fun.  It's a nice edging and complements the lace peeking out from bottom of sleeves and ties in with the collar and pocket trim.  I like it and am glad your doing it!   You are so welcome and we receive such encouragement from each other, so thank you too. 

It's cooler here, but no rain.  I was and am hoping for some.  I do love rain.  It makes commuting difficult I know, but it's so nice when all the errands are done and nice pot of soup is simmering.  Didn't you just get quite a bit of rain on the tail end of the hurricane?  My girlfriend in Texas says it was just pouring hard for days.  Yes, we had quite a bit of coverage on the news and I read about it too.  Just imagine the grief of his parents and family heartache.  Let us know how the program went.  Do you think his family would attend?   

I wore my wrap out today and received complements on it.  I told them it was just left over yarn but they really liked it.  I guess you never know how something seems like it's not working out for one thing, but it will for another.  Just don't give up or put it away like I did and forget about all about it til you get another inspiration.  I'm glad I asked and you mentioned the ribbon idea because that's when I turned it upside down and saw how it worked that way.  So that's the way I wore it today.  I wanted to keep the cool air off my arms and it was just right. 

I cast on for my hat and am working on it now.    Happy lace to you! 

I looked up Sharon on Wikipedia and guess what I read?  Among other interesting info. Sharon is the name of many places all over the US and the world.  There are some nicknames of your name - including Sharai, Sharona, Sharonald, Sharry, Sherri, Sherrie, Sherye, Sharoo, Shazz,  Shazzy, Sharoon & Shazam.  Wow girl - did you know you had that many possibilities?   But this is the nicest part.  It means Princess or the one who laughs.  I think it is a most beautiful of names and suits you and is definitely not boring.  Your mama did well.  Yes

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Sep 13, 2010 6:49 AM

good morning zass,

thanks for all the nice info on my name. who knew i could be so many people at once? i do like the princess and one who laughs. and i noticed "shazz" also. does that mean we are related somehow? haha! hope you hat is progressing nicely!

the documentary was amazing. and so, so sad. what a wonderful young man he was. a true inspiration. but the cover up over his death was horrible. those politicians can do whatever they want and get away with it. if you have a chance to see it, the name is "the pat tillman story". bring your kleenex!

so happy you were able to wear your wrap. and that everyone loved it. of course they did. you knit very well, plus it is an unusual design that is all your own. you wont find another like it! i am almost done with my converse sneaker booties. they are so funny. they make me giggle as i am working on them, which is always good. i work on them when daughter is around, and when she is at work or school i am knitting on the mittens for the girls for christmas. i don't want her to see any of them as she will figure it out. not good when they get older and wiser.....

nice here today. not enough rain yesterday though. and no, we didn't get much with earl. odd since the media hype (as usual) had the hurricane hitting us. there is another one brewing and heading our way though, so maybe more rain in another week? funny you mentioned the pot of soup. i am ready for the hot weather to be over and get back into my nesting/domestic phase. i also love a nice pot of soup or stew or something simmering and smelling good all day.

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 14, 2010 12:20 AM

Hi Yogama,

It's late eve here.  I was hoping you would find the names interesting.  I was too tickled when I read the "Shazz".  Funny, I laughed, oh my goodness I couldn't believe it , who would have guessed it would lead to that.  So I would say we are definitely related, so if your a princess, does that make me one too?  chuckle Wink 

My h and I will definitely see it.  He is always on top of these documentary worthy info and reads and listens to tell me about as well.  It is too sad though.  Not a nice part of living in this world. 

Glad you are having a pretty day of weather and I will have to check out the little black & white booties you were talking about.  Sounds like you have a very good routine set up alternating your projects depending on who is around.  Do you have a favorite recipe for soup or stew that your family likes?  Thanks for complements and I am still learning alot of things about needlework, but I am glad it seems there is always something new to learn or read about.  I'll talk to you soon tomorrow I hope.   

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Sep 14, 2010 7:34 AM

good moring princess zass!

haha! wasn't that funny? and yes, if shazz is a princess then zass is also! i do have some great recipes which i will forward to you here. i'll do that this afternoon as i am working this am. always have time to sneak into email though as i have a home office. which is great! also, have you ever watched emeril green? he is not the same jacked up, crazy emeril that was on emeril live. he is calm and into sustainable farming and supporting the local producers. his recipes are so interesting. when you have a chance, go to emerilgreen.com and check is recipes out. i have made several and all are good. some better than others, but depends on what you like. i made a mushroom barley soup that was amazing. doens't freeze well though as the shrooms get soggy. my 2 fav recipes are turkey chili and pasta fagioli. i'll send them to you later. have a fun day !

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 15, 2010 11:36 PM

Yogama,

Cracking up!  I just laughed out loud!!!  You are too funnyBig Smile  My h just asked me what's so funny?  We could call ourselves "the princess knitters". 

Yes I have watched him.  There's another guy too, I think his name is ______, now I can't think of it.  If it comes to me I'll fill in the blank.  I do like mushrooms and I that barley sounds good with it.  I like barley in soups.  Also I LOVE pasta fagioli.  Was a family favorite.  My grandmother taught me cause I was always with her in the kitchen watching her make all the foods I love.  We used to have so much fun together.  Do you ever make Braciole?   I always make my pasta sauce (sugu) from scratch.  My grandmother grew her tomatoes and canned baskets of them.  Oh boy did that smell ever good!  There was a canning cellar with all sorts of goodies.  The one other show I just remembered is Nick Stellino I have seen a few times.  He seems like he really likes his recipes.  By the way, I use turkey for my chili & polpetta.  Ok shazz -wasn't that cute about the sweater guy?  I hope he puts a picture up so we can see.  Night night.Sleep     

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Sep 16, 2010 9:22 AM

good morning zass,

and i do apologize for not getting those recipes to you. yesterday turned into a busy day. all good. i had quite the time. lunch with a couple of friends to celebrate a bday (not mine!). we talked and laughed and caught up and before you knew it , it was 4:30. yikes. raced home to get ready for a yoga class and realized i was behind schedule so i skipped it. this was really a message for me as my knees have been cranky this last week. a little creaky and achy. i needed to put my feet up and chill for a bit. which is just what i did. hubby came home and was getting ready to go to his chiro appt. he came up with a great idea - if i would take a ride with him, we would stop for dinner on the way home. such a deal for me! we were going to have grilled turkey burgers with feta and cillantro. so now that's dinner tonight.

my yarn i ordered for the mittens came in yesteday also. its the mission falls 1824. very nive yearn. i was at a stopping point on 2 pairs of mittens, waiting for the right colors. so, now i am off and running again. or maybe i should say off and knitting? the mittens are really fun. a simple pattern that has different colors. when you are finished with the construction she adds in embroidfery. remember french knots and chain stitch? did you do crewel when you were younger? so funny to remember what was "in". i can't remember the name of the mitten designer, but i'll run and check. its the smittens pamphlet by mags whats her name? love her!

ok, back again later with those recipes. hoping i don't forget again!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 17, 2010 12:52 AM

Hi Yogama,

No apology needed - don't even stress about it.  Glad you had a good day and I know how time flies when you are really enjoying friends.  This evening I saw a few of my own.  We made tentative plans to have lunch on Monday with my friend and her two daughters who I just love.  One is going to be on vacation from her job for a week so we're finally all going to have time to lunch together. 

I was reading about your achy knees.  Boy I can relate.  You see, I actually split my patella (knee cap) in two pieces all the way from one end to the other right down the middle.  So I can tell you a little about knee pain.  I used the Traumeel ointment which is odorless and really works.  I used it prior to my knee injury for another injury I had before that.  For the similar thing about the knots down the outside of the upper leg.  If you run your thumb down along that muscle and it feels painful or you feel knots under the skin, your chiropractor can help you with that (explaining what is the cause and how to treat)  You can do the massage at home in between visits or see a massage therapist.  My chiropractor had to give me a treatment each time I went for quite a while but now I do it on my own. 

Also my foot surgeon just gave me order to wear "New Balance" or "Asics" laced up tennis shoes.  I have new orthotics which fit into that brand because they are made with an insert sole that is removable.  Allowing for the space the orthotic will take up in the footbed of the shoe.  Also they give or flex in the right part of the toe break area instead of being stiff there and not flexing at the arch, which is not proper.  That is because the orthotic is compromised if the shoe flexes at the arch.  So a New Balance running shoe is recommended for the give.  Those things will help your knee.  The Traumeel is a homeopathic ointment and a small tube about $30.  It contains Arnica montana, Aconitum napellus, Belladonna, Bellis perennis,Chamomilla, Echinacea angustofolia, Echinacea purpurea, + .  You get the idea.    It helps for bone aches, muscles, ligament pains.  It's made in Germany and their site is www.heelusa.com  

Hope you talk to your dr. about it at next opportunity.  I don't want to think about you suffering if you don't have to.  I enjoy walking every day and it is very important for me to keep moving.  So when I walk my little guy, we walk quite a long way & I want to keep on walking every day with as little pain as possible.  Now for the fun stuff - you got some new yarn I see!  Oh yes - I crewel and embroider and love it, when I was younger and now too.  I did a little owl for my hubby in crewel.  Framed it and it is adorable.  He loves it on his desk.  In fact I have 3 new kits just waiting for me to do.  I must find time to do them.  Mission Falls 1824 is nice and I think your mittens sound so cute!  Happy and fun knitting.  I did a small one & framed "JOY" .  I put it in the kitchen.  Have to have Joy when I'm cooking too.  Glad you got to have dinner out last night.  Tomorrow my hub & i will go on errands together and lunch.  He's taking the day off tomorrow.  Yes  Talk to you soon and find out what your up to.  Sleep

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Sep 17, 2010 7:53 AM

hi zass,

thanks so much for all that info. this was better than going to the doc, which we both know would take me forever to get there! since they love to push pills and i am not about to take them. funny thing is, the feet are connected to the knees. for awhile now i have had a problem with the 2nd to baby toe on my left foot getting achy and then numb. i know there are the 2 big foot nerves that wrap around the foot and meet right in that spot. i have been meaning to go to the podiatrist to get this checked and to get custom orthotics. but putting it off and off and off. now is the time to adress this. my body is telling me something and i must lsiten. i am like you and need to be active. i walk a day is good for the soul! more later - busy in the office this am! why is that? people hold onto their problems until fri and then dump them on me! can't complain, its what keeps me in business!!

chat soon,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 20, 2010 8:43 PM

Hi yogama,

Hey, i am not a doc but i've been spending enough time with them in the past - it took me forever as well.  I put off my painful foot for about a year and when I went for a check up my primary doc referred to a surgeon and the bad news was it needed surgery.  so that got taken care of, but it wasn't just the regular kind.  I developed hallux rigidus - you can look it up.  it has to do with the back as well as no arch support in my feet.  also i had serious back pain and foot was numb.  the nerves in the feet go numb when being pinched for various reasons from the point where they go out from your spine so if you see a chiro i am sure you already understand about that.  but if not, you should mention and have a chiro try to adjust your back so your foot nerve can re-generate or get healthy again.  at one point, i had my entire foot numb for a long period of time.  but now i am ok but it took so long to undo and get back to functional.  my back thing is from birth so no surgery for me - even if they could fix it with surgery i would not do it on my spine.  i was always on the go and on my feet.  the surprising thing is my feet are nice, no bumps, callouses, or any of that stuff thank goodness.  i always wore proper fitting shoes, not inexpensive but just my physiological heredity i guess for the problems to develop according to the dr. given my curved spine.  but anyway, if you get it taken care of you will be alot happier and glad when it's over. 

That's was always the thing on Fridays for me.  You are walking out of the office and they still want you back to do whatever.  Now I run my husband's business.  I really liked the hat pattern from the seven rib shell -meg swenson's pattern.  I worked it from the chart and it was fun and cute to do.  If you ever want to do it and have a ? let me know.  How's your mittens and sweater I think you said?  Your not doing the kal?  Have you started the one with the wire yarn?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 7:41 AM

hi zass,

thanks for all the info onyour feet. very informative and we learn from each other. its the age old the toe bone is connected to the foot bone.......who ever knew how true that would become? i know i am stupid, but i am constantly either bare foot or flipflops all summer. no support. by the end of the summer my feet are so ready to be into some sort of shoe. i think this year that could have been part of my knee problem. i started taking turmeric and msm and i feel much better. not sure if they are working, or if i just tweaked my knees a little and they fixed themselves. whatever, i do plan to get to the foot doc and see about custom orthotics. they are not a covered benefit with my insurance and are expensive - but my life would suffer if i could not jump up and do whatever i want. knees and feet are important! haha!

so happy you liked knitting your hat. you were taken with that design and wanting to do it. are you finished now? did you post a pic? i should check the readers gallery before i ask as i have not done that for a few days now. i am overdue to post some. i have my little con baby sneaker booties and 3 mittens. finished 2 pair and working on the 3rd. honestly i can say i am a little tired of it, but am finishing so its done! you know that feeling. funny you ask about the steel yarn. before i started the mittens i decided to pull it out and play with it. it is so fine. like thread with the steel in it to give it a little shape. i did about 2 rows and decided i was not in the mood for intricate work so put it away for now. then i picked up the mittens. they are fun and quick and each pair different with the colors and embelleshments. i'll post pics soon.

and i did not forget you with the recipes. i also work from home now. when i leave my "office" i am off and running doing other things. i'll write myself a note so i get them to you!

happy knitting,

sharon

and i dno't think i will do the caftan. really like the picture of it, but not sure i would wear it. plus as susan said, too many other projects lined up and christmas is coming!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 23, 2010 11:48 AM

Morning to you Princess Andrea, 

yogama:

i am constantly either bare foot or flipflops all summer. no support. by the end of the summer my feet are so ready to be into some sort of shoe. i think this year that could have been part of my knee problem.

i do plan to get to the foot doc and see about custom orthotics. they are not a covered benefit with my insurance and are expensive - but my life would suffer if i could not jump up and do whatever i want. knees and feet are important! haha!

Exactly - in flip flops outside or bare feet inside the house.  So I understand "no support" for the majority of hours in the day.  Only thing here is that it's summer all year and so for 12 months of the year I walk around like that.  Except for when I dress for something more business like.  But once I would get in my car to go home, I toss those shoes aside & am barefoot or stocking feet again.  In fact, now that I think about it when I was in the office, as long as no one could see my feet under the desk, my shoes were off too. 

Anyway I said all that to say this:  if you know of a chiropractic college in your area, they have clinician/students who have passed exams to work on patients.  My regular chiro told me about it and highly recommended the area college here, which I went to for awhile because it was locationally more feasible for me to travel there with my 3 little ones.    They treated our family for quite awhile and intervened in my childrens's spinal treatments and thus avoided them developing with crooked spines.  My two boys had very slight curve and my daughter none.  But their spines are healthy now and my H went too.  Several friends also and it saved $$$$.  But that is where I got my first  pair of orthotics as a grown up and they were lots less expensive and I didn't need insurance to get them.  Check it out - even the visits were only like $5 per back then.  The dr. took molds of my feet and I had several pairs, one for athletic shoes, one for dress, one for casual flats.  The cost of them was way less expensive. 

Only thing, I did wear them for quite a while and then I didn't wear them at all because I was feeling so much better.  I only wish my parents had done this for me when I was little.  I did wear arch supports with steel in them when young and always could never wear pretty mary janes or dress up little girl shoes.  Had to be in "saddle shoes" at school.  Grew up and wore all the prettiest shoes I could find. 

I understand about life suffering if you could not jump up and do whatever.  I am hopefully soon to return to  normal routine which includes that.  I just got my NB shoes last Friday and they are G R E A T.  Walked one hour in them on Sat morning.  Before that we made 7 different trips to shoe store.  My H took me cause I still can't drive.  I could not find one pair of shoes that fit my extremely painfully sore and swollen foot.  Finally I found a generic pair about 2 weeks ago (2 sizes bigger) but then I walked my doggie in them (I mentioned that in another post somewhere) but then the next day they gave me a big blister and even made my good foot hurt.  We walked too far for sure but I wanted to get out of the house so badly - & my dr. did tell me to try to walk.  When I went to dr with those shoes he saw them and said no, they are not good and showed me why.  Keep trying till you can get your foot in a pair.  So now I have the right shoe, crutches are gone, graduated to the cane & am desperate to get rid of it because it pulls all the muscles in my left and right side of neck when I walk with it.  Am practicing in the house without it.  Also only have one more month left of two to go with this DynaSplint that must be worn for at the minimum three hours a day.  It is oweeeeeeeeeeeeee the whole time.  Crying  I tell you when my H stopped his work & took me out that day all the workers were here tearing up the street I was so grateful.  He did the errands running in and out of stores (I sat in the truck w/ knitting & books) til lunch time when I hobbled into the restaurant. Also when my sis and niece came to take me w out to lunch it was so appreciated it was just the right time.  As soon as am able to drive & stand long enough I am going to visit yarn shops all over the place!  Can't wait!

So I'll  Zip it!  for now.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 10, 2010 5:50 PM

Here is the vest, then the wrap with hat sitting on top of the wrap, next a cowl with a few bobbles.

And these are two little slippers knitted up with the Deborah Norville yarn I decided to try.  Really soft & comfy. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Nov 11, 2010 6:56 AM

hey zass,

thanks for sharing. such great projects! you have been very busy. i really need to get better with this camera jazz! i am not good at it. son is comiong this afternoon to help hubby get his new blackberry singing - i call it his crackberry. anyway, i'm sure he will have to time help wiyh my pics! chat soon!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 11, 2010 1:37 PM

Hey thanks!  I tried to take a brighter picture and it's probably not much better.      Also here is the lace edging I am still working on.  We talked about it a couple of times.  You were thinking of doing some on a blue jean jacket I think, in pink.  This is probably going to go on a black linen casual jacket.  Needs to be a little longer and maybe do some for the two sleeve/cuffs as well.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 18, 2010 6:19 PM

yogama:

hey zass,

help hubby get his new blackberry singing - i call it his crackberry.

Hi Sharon,

You are so funny and always make me laugh so hard.  That was hysterical.  You two must crack a lot of jokes!  By the way how are the   coat pics - did you take them?  No pressure really.  Just like you don't already have more than enough to do.  Smile  Which reminds me I need to pick up that yellow lace thingy and make it longer. 

Page 4 of 57 (854 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS