Prayer Shawl Problem

This post has 5 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
jtreuter wrote
on Sep 12, 2011 5:59 AM

I am trying to knit the Simple Prayer Shawl included in the three free patterns leaflet, and it is NOT working. I think the problem is with Row 2. The pattern says to knit 2, yo, p to end. Should it in fact be purl 2, yo, p to end??? Then returning to row 1, you have to knit in the back of the yo stitch to make it work. 

Please advise. I would like to suggest this pattern to our knitting group. Also, there is no indication of how many stitches to cast on in the second pattern, although I think it would be 5.

Thanks.

J. Treuter

Not Ranked
Posts 1
darrbey wrote
on Sep 18, 2011 2:14 PM

I am having the same problem.  I have also tried the reverse - begin with 2 purl yo k to end of the row and on the 2nd row k 2 yo p to end of row,  It is a nice change on the traditional triangle pattern but it does not look like the picture when I am working it - the sides do not match

D-Ann Bradley

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ginjin77 wrote
on Sep 20, 2011 4:39 AM

I am not glad you all are having problems, but I am glad to know I am not the only one! I just came back to make sure that there were no corrections to this pattern. Mine does not look like the picture either. I don't see any responses to your posts yet, I sure hope they answer soon.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Oct 21, 2011 7:34 PM

Dear Simple Prayer Shawl Knitters: I am just about 100% sure there's an error there, right on the edge. My knitting group is making a shawl for a friend battling cancer, and I got the shawl about 2/3 of the way through, and I noticed immediately that one side has ridges (to put it simply) and one doesn't. It should be, probably, knitting all the time for the first two stitches (would make the YO easier on the purl side, too) and the last two as well. HOWEVER, since we're nearly through, I'm going to continue going with it. The love we put into this is still there, even IF the edges don't match!

Hope that helps. And the solution may not be what I said: I'm a learner-by-doing, and as I said, I'm not REdoing, I just have a hunch that's what you need to do to get that matching garter stitch edges.    Best of luck.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,489
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Nov 2, 2011 11:20 AM

There's a new PDF with corrections made to the Lacy Prayer Shawl, so download that and you'll be all set.

For the Simple Prayer Shawl, there are two garter stitch edge stitches on each side, so Row 2 should be knit 2, yo, purl to last two stitches, knit 2.

And you do knit into the front of the yarn over because you want that hole to show up.

So sorry about this!

Kathleen

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mbenze wrote
on Aug 14, 2014 5:13 PM

I don't understand row 2 of the simple prayer shawl. It says Knit 2, yo, purl to last two stitches, then knit 2. But there are only 4 stitches on the needle (row 1 says cast on 3 stitches, k2,yo, k to end (1 stitch?)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS