mothproofing ?

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 30
AimeeR wrote
on Jul 15, 2008 11:39 AM

How can I treat yarn and sweaters to keep moths (and holes!) away without using those stinky moth balls?

Thanks, Aimee

Not Ranked
Posts 1
GidgetC wrote
on Jul 25, 2008 11:20 AM

moths dislike lavendar. so use lavendar oil diffuser in your storage space or put lavendar scented soap or a potpourri sachet with dried lavendar. alternatively, you could use cedar. most diy home stores sell smoothed cedar chunks for dresser drawers, closets, etc. sometimes you can find coat hangers with cedar arms and connecting storage bags.

hope this helps.

-Gidget

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 25, 2008 2:41 PM

AimeeR,  If you go to the Forums under General Knitting Discussions under Stash and Stash Management there is a post about yarn storage. 

I mention there about purchasing a Zip Up Storage Closet that already comes made with mothproof material.  All you would have to do is put your yarns, sweaters, etc. inside.  I put a hanging shoe storage' organizer onto the the central bar and use clear plastic bags on hangars to put yarn into, so I can see what is inside and I do not have to worry about any moths.  It works well, not a moth or an insect of any kind.  It is also airtight so no dust gets in.  It saves my back from bending over and saves space in my closet.      

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 30
AimeeR wrote
on Jul 29, 2008 12:07 PM

Gidget and Zass, thank you both!  I'll get some cedar AND lavendar just to make sure.  I've seen some little fuzzy bugs around my knitting basket and they're making me crazy.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS