Row gauge

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Flissie wrote
on Nov 2, 2011 5:37 AM

When I do a swatch test and match it against any pattern, I am able to achieve the correct number of stitches but I can never achieve the right number of rows. Can anyone suggest what I should do? I usually get more rows than I should in a particular swatch measurement - probably between 2 and 4 rows too many.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Jan 21, 2012 5:19 PM

Have you received any responses to your question?  I have the same problem and am wondering what to do.  The yarn I am using for my pattern is the correct yarn.  My gauge matches for number of stitches across but I am short 2.5 rows.  I'm guessing I could do some math and figure out how many rows to add, but I am curious how to fix this when I'm knitting something that is patterned (such as cables) or when knitting pieces of a sweater, etc. 

Thanks! Dana

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 21, 2012 6:20 PM

Flissie:

When I do a swatch test and match it against any pattern, I am able to achieve the correct number of stitches but I can never achieve the right number of rows. Can anyone suggest what I should do? I usually get more rows than I should in a particular swatch measurement - probably between 2 and 4 rows too many.

This question comes up so many times because the newer knitters are always coming along and learning!!  This is a good question to ask and to have answered.

The most important gauge is the number of stitches you get per inch across the row.  There are very very very few knitters (doesnt matter how experienced they are at knitting) who will achieve the suggested number of rows per gauge swatch.  You will measure the length of the item you are knitting, and if you want it longer, then knit more rows; and if you want it shorter, dont knit as many rows.

Now here is where the number of rows knit is important.  If you are knitting something with a back and a front (ie.  a knitted pillow cover) you need to keep track of the number of rows you knit so that both back and front have the same number of rows.

If you are knitting a pattern in the item such as a cable, and if you need the item longer, you will knit all or part of another cable cross in order for you to acheive the length you need.  If you are knitting a stitch pattern such as a lace pattern that requires a 10 row pattern, and you find your item is too short, then you just knit another lace repeat until your length is right.  If the length is going to be too long, then you one less cable cross or lace repeat.

I hope this helps you out.  Happy knitting, ZoëSmile

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS