Official forum for the KOOLHAAS HAT KNIT-ALONG!

This post has 280 Replies | 40 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,467
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Nov 2, 2011 11:28 AM

Koohaas Hat by Jared Flood
The big winner for the new knit-along is the Koolhaas Hat (the pattern also appears in Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts, 2007, and Interweave Knits Accessories, 2009).

I've knit this one and it truly is a winner! I used Sublime Cashmere Merino Silk Aran and it turned out beautifully.

Here's the schedule:

11-2 to 11-9: Find yarn and knit swatch
11-10 to 11-25: Knit hat (you might be able to knit more than one in this time frame!)
11-26: Block hat
11-27 until forever: Wear with pride

Yarn suggestions: Any worsted-weight yarn will do. Ideas such as the Sublime Cashmere Merino Silk Aran mentioned above, Berroco Comfort, KnitPicks Shine, Rowan CashSoft, Debbie Bliss

Here's how a knit-along works:

1. Buy your pattern (or find it in the magazines noted above).
2. Buy your yarn (or find it in your stash).
3. Log on to the forum and introduce yourself and tell us which yarn you're using. The forum is where all of the fun is; it's where you'll share your tips, ask questions, or upload photos, and it's where you'll find support if you're having problems.
4. Post a photo of your finished hat when you're done.

It's as easy as that. Now let's get started!

Cheers,

Not Ranked
Posts 10
unaspenser wrote
on Nov 3, 2011 1:37 PM

I've got this pattern and I've knitted it before, and it's fun!  Not sure what yarn I'll use yet but I'm definitely going to make this for my husband, so count me in.  I haven't decided which yarn I'll use yet, but I'll go stash dive this evening and see what I can dig up.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
RachelRomine wrote
on Nov 3, 2011 4:54 PM

I love this pattern. I just can't decide if I should use some Angora yarn or try something with a little bit of color play. I saw some colinette yarn come in that has been calling to me...

Rachel

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bev@9 wrote
on Nov 3, 2011 10:11 PM

I want to be able to do the crossovers without a cable needle. I tried once already after watching Grumperina's video and when I got done it was all wonky (and thus, frogged).   I get confused about when to keep the yarn to the front/back for the various LPC/RPC and LC.  What other video would be available to learn this method?  Thanks for your feedback.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
on Nov 4, 2011 9:27 AM

Got my pattern downloaded. Will find & swatch my yarn this weekend! Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
AprilBrunson wrote
on Nov 4, 2011 11:26 AM

This is my first knit along.  I haven't made this before, but I've been working with Knitpicks Shine and I love it.  So I'll steal a little of it from my stash. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
RachelRomine wrote
on Nov 4, 2011 2:29 PM

I have decided to go with the Aslan Trends King Baby Llama and Mulberry Silk yarn in a nice Lilac color. I think this yarn will show of the pattern nicely. I can't wait to get started.

Rachel

Not Ranked
Posts 10
unaspenser wrote
on Nov 4, 2011 5:12 PM

Got my yarn, I'm going to use some of my handspun, my first processed from a raw fleece.  It is gray Olde English Babydoll Southdown, which I love because it's super stretchy.  My gauge is a little bit larger than the pattern calls for, but my hubby, who will get the finished hat, has a 21.5 inch head, well above the 16 inches stated in the pattern.  When I made the hat before at the correct gauge it was small enough that I wound up giving it to my niece, who was two at the time.  I went ahead and started knitting last night, I have about two inches of hat so far!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
unaspenser wrote
on Nov 4, 2011 5:13 PM

I love cables without a cable needle!  This is the video I used to learn:

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Nov 4, 2011 6:40 PM

Is there an error in the pattern as printed in 2007 Holiday Gifts Knits?  I have started the hat with Debbie Bliss Alpaca/Silk.  Looks good up to row 6 of the chart.  I don't understand the movement of stitch/marker.  It says " work in patt to last st of rnd, sl last st to right needle, remove m, sl st back to left needle and replace m - this is the new beg of rnd for rnds 7&8.  Do I knit the last stitch of rnd 6?  I don't seem to have the stich/marker in the right place to move as suggested.  I need help.  Thanks, Franticknitter.  

Not Ranked
Posts 4
WV_Peregrine wrote
on Nov 5, 2011 10:28 AM

This is my first KAL.  I just purchased the pattern, will use yarn from my stash, and plan to make my first hat for my darling son who is living in Colorado.  Usually, I knit socks.  I am also learning to knit gloves.

Looking forward to reading posts from everyone in the KAL.

Warm wishes,

WV Peregrine

Not Ranked
Posts 6
nokreps wrote
on Nov 5, 2011 10:37 AM

Ok, I'm in!  I just finished a major project at work (alas, I don't knit for a living) and need a quick knitting project in the midst of all the large ones sitting in my basket.  I already had the pattern, so will sort through my stash and see which yarn I want to use - one of my favorite things to do on a Saturday morning!  Happy Knitting everyone!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 32
Tgene52 wrote
on Nov 5, 2011 11:25 AM

I had the pattern and saw it is done in YAK and have always wanted to try that fiber. Went to the Shokay website and they had an orange color on sale and if you sign for their e-mail newsletter you get a 10% so now I can try that yarn.  Not sure how long it will take to arrive will have to check it.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 32
Tgene52 wrote
on Nov 5, 2011 11:27 AM

Thanks will definitely check this out. T.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
on Nov 5, 2011 11:29 AM

This will be my first Knit Along. I learned in August, but have done a few things. I bought my pattern. I bought my yarn, but my needles are on another hat...dangit! So I plan to cast it on in the next day or so. The yarn I am going to use is Yarn Bee - Rainbow Wool  Grenadine is the color listing.  It's 86.4% Wool, 5% Mohair, and 8.6% Acrylic.

I'm nervous. This will be my first time with anything this intricate.

Page 1 of 19 (281 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS