Official forum for the KOOLHAAS HAT KNIT-ALONG!

This post has 280 Replies | 40 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
on Nov 12, 2011 10:20 AM

Here is a picture of me in my finished hat.  I plan to make another one in a softer yarn and different color. This one matches my recently finished mittens.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
nokreps wrote
on Nov 12, 2011 10:23 AM

Thanks for sharing - I finished the hat using a combination of techniques for the cables - with  and without the cable needle.  The 1/1 LC was accomplished with a slightly different technique, but I think produced the same result - basically I knit the second stitch in on left hand needle (going in from the back), drew right needle back out and then went in and knit the first stitch and pulled both off.  I have no idea what this is called and no one ever showed me, but it works great for that particular stitich.  But I had to go back to cable needle for the 1/1 LPC and 1/1 RPC.  But I think I'll try another hat with technique in video.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
nokreps wrote
on Nov 12, 2011 10:31 AM

I just finished my hat this morning!  I knit it in Rhythm from Jojoland, 100% wool.  The yarn changes color gradually, from red to gold with some blue spun into it too.  I wasn't sure if the pattern would show up well, but it turned out great!  I'll post a pic later.

Question - would you really block this hat?  It is a close fit and the pattern shows up great when worn.  I'm concerned that blocking would stretch it too much. 

I'm ready to start another!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Nov 12, 2011 6:38 PM

Hi Kathleen,

You hit one of my questions before I even had a chance to ask it. Having to do with the DEPTH of the hat as opposed to the WIDTH. I too have a real irritation about making a hat that does not come down far enough over my ears - or the ears of the person I am making the hat for. Any more purls of wisdom you might have on this topic? It's hard to go strictly by measurement when top shaping can be so different. I figure there might be some rules of thumb for a close cropped cap like this one. 

I can't remember if Ann Budd gives some in her "Handy Book of Knitting Patterns" which I stupidly loaned to someone who now "doesn't recall that".

The other issue I'd like some feedback on is unknitting on this type of stitch pattern. Wow, it's really difficult to go backwards without making even more mistakes.

And as long as the best questions come in threes - where else can I locate some of Jarrod Floods other patterns. Really do think this is a classic pattern.

Thanks in advance for the answers,

M

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
sweetie41 wrote
on Nov 12, 2011 9:27 PM

Just cast on today!  I'm using Cascade 220.  Finished the ribbing and a couple of pattern rows so far...

Not Ranked
Posts 2
dianerzebet wrote
on Nov 12, 2011 10:31 PM

Where do I go to buy pattern?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
dianerzebet wrote
on Nov 12, 2011 10:33 PM

Duh I finally figured it out. Sorry to bother.  Diane

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Redbug wrote
on Nov 13, 2011 5:07 PM

I am using Cascade 220 Superwash in brown.  I had a skein left over from a cardigan sweater I made for my grandson last year. It happens to perfectly match the fuzzy lining on the collar of my winter coat.  To compensate for my big head, and I mean that literally not figuratively,  I decided to add stitches. I cast on 120 stitches. I have the ribbing and two pattern repeats finished.  The circumference is 18" which I am figuring will work for me.  Once I have four pattern repeats finished, I'll try it on and see if I want to add another repeat.  I can imagine at 104 stitches the hat would be too short for larger heads, as Kathleen said.  What it compensates for in width it takes from the height.  I'll let you know how things work out.  I'm enjoying this project and the KAL.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
LaurainATL wrote
on Nov 13, 2011 5:19 PM

it's been a busy weekend.  Just now checking in on the KAL.  When I made that note it seemed so clear at the time Tongue Tied.  It's just the slipped stitch at the end of round 8. It's just kinda hanging there so I decided to do the ktbl.

I'm about 3 rounds into the decreases and hope to finish tonight. Or tomorrow night.

mrsdavis86:

LaurainATL:
Just one note - I ktbl the slipped stitch but I don't think it matters.

Are you talking about the sl st on rnd 6 where you move the marker, or the one on rnd 8. . .or both? I was told to trust the pattern and follow it as-written, but I wondered about whether or not I should "do" something with those sl sts, lol.

And yes, it is so lovely to have access to all the wonderful folks on this kal to get input; it really helps me persevere knowing I can get input from you folks. I am going to overcome this hat phobia I've been fighting against by the end of this month. . .one way or another! It's crazy to make beautiful scarves and not be able to make hats to go with them. I'm going to make one of these Koolhaas hats for everyone on my list this year. By the time I'm done with that, I should be a fearless hat-knitter Cool

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
LaurainATL wrote
on Nov 13, 2011 5:34 PM

Hi, M -

This is Laura.  With this pattern, it would be easy to increase the depth by adding more sets of the 8-row pattern repeat before starting the decreases.  The pattern has two depths - 7" and 8" - and the difference is adding another pattern repeat.  I wasn't sure which size would fit me so I am doing the 7" size (4 pattern repeats) and added a lifeline on the extra pattern round 1 before starting the decreases.  This will let me finish the hat and try it on.  If I need to make it bigger, I can then frog back to the lifeline and easily pick of the stitches.  If you aren't familiar with lifelines, they are commonly used when knitting lace since it can be difficult to rip out without creating more of a mess.  To add a lifeline, you thread waste yarn through the stitches on the row where you want the lifeline while they are still on the needle and then proceed with the knitting.  With my hat this is the round 1 after completing all the pattern repeats before starting the decreases. You take out the lifeline(s) after you are finished knitting.

You can find more patterns from Jared Flood, aka Brooklyn Tweed, at his web site and on Ravelry.

http://www.brooklyntweed.net/

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jared-flood

Best wishes - Laura

Portuguese Princess:

Hi Kathleen,

You hit one of my questions before I even had a chance to ask it. Having to do with the DEPTH of the hat as opposed to the WIDTH. I too have a real irritation about making a hat that does not come down far enough over my ears - or the ears of the person I am making the hat for. Any more purls of wisdom you might have on this topic? It's hard to go strictly by measurement when top shaping can be so different. I figure there might be some rules of thumb for a close cropped cap like this one. 

I can't remember if Ann Budd gives some in her "Handy Book of Knitting Patterns" which I stupidly loaned to someone who now "doesn't recall that".

The other issue I'd like some feedback on is unknitting on this type of stitch pattern. Wow, it's really difficult to go backwards without making even more mistakes.

And as long as the best questions come in threes - where else can I locate some of Jarrod Floods other patterns. Really do think this is a classic pattern.

Thanks in advance for the answers,

M

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Nov 13, 2011 7:37 PM

I have the pattern, am stash diving today, after watching my local HS Team WIN in a state Football contest Saturday - hooray! Next game I'll be warmer!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Nov 13, 2011 7:39 PM

M, check his blog Brooklyn Tweed, also on Ravelry.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
t2tinker wrote
on Nov 13, 2011 8:32 PM

Just bought the yarn today and casted on. I am using Fiddlesticks Knitting 100%silk yarn in a lilac color. I have about a third of the ribbing done so far. this is my first KAL and I am excited about participating

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 13, 2011 10:02 PM

Trust the pattern. . .and what do you know; I finally have a WIP picture to share. I may be slow, but I do eventually "get" it! Thanks for all the help, and I'm sure I'll be needing more when I get to the decreasing part of the project. I've never used dpn's and never quite "got" the whole psso deal. I knit by holding the yarn in my left hand as I do for crochet, and I'm told that makes the psso more difficult. Maybe that's it, maybe not. I just know it looks simple when I look at vids, and seems hard when I try to do it. I'll save that evil for it's own day, lol.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Redbug wrote
on Nov 14, 2011 7:11 AM

Looks nice Mrs. Davis!  Keep up the good work.Yes

Page 12 of 19 (281 items) « First ...  < Previous  10 11 12 13 14  Next >  ... Last » | RSS