Official forum for the KOOLHAAS HAT KNIT-ALONG!

This post has 280 Replies | 40 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Vermontmary wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 7:56 AM

I'm with you, Mrs. Davis! I feel like a kindergartener too. A sulky one! "> I only wish I'd been using the lifeline that I had vowed to use... I have lost a stitch somewhere way back, and can't even see what happened... it's just not there! But I'm not frogging... yet... mainly because of how hard it is to pick stitches back up in this pattern– I think next time I get to one of those kk,pp rounds, I'll stick the lifeline through. I just can't bear to cast on again... I want to get this project over!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Nov 15, 2011 9:08 AM

So, after some PayPal complications, I finally have this pattern in my hands. I can't believe several of you are done and I haven't even cast on yet! But, hopefully I can get started while the little one is napping this afternoon.

I love seeing the photos!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 9:37 AM

Vermontmary:
I only wish I'd been using the lifeline that I had vowed to use

I know, Mary. I started with the lifeline the last time I started over (about my 6th time starting over from the beginning), and somewhere along the way dropped a stitch. I discovered this after I'd started the second repeat and didn't move the lifeline up only to end up at round 8 having to frog back to the lifeline. From here on out until I'm way more confident, that lifeline is moving up with every round. 

That's okay though, because I'd also inadvertently picked up the wrong-size needles when I switched to the larger needle. It made a mess of the pattern. With much reluctance, I started over again last night. I've lost track of how many times I've started this hat, but since I decided it was to be a learning experience for me, I suppose it's fitting. While I was re-winding the yarn, I discovered a couple of bad snarls in my yarn ball that, had I continued, would have forced me to either cut the yarn or start over. Everything happens for a reason!

Some things I've learned thus far:

1. Use a lifeline, and move it up every row (not necessary for experienced knitter's, but oh-so-encouraging for anyone who doesn't have the confidence with this pattern)! AND, make sure it is way longer than you think you need (see note above about dropped stitch).

2. Trust the pattern and do what it says exactly

3. Don't work on this pattern when you're distracted; 'nuff said :)

4. use a plastic cable needle; it won't slip out of the stitch as easily, and I found I needed to go down to sizes 4 & 6 needles with the bamboo circulars (the only ones I could find in 16"). I seem to always end up with a bigger gauge on bamboos. Anyone have a clue why?

5. Don't give up. . .I've gotten further this time with better results than any of the other times I started. I'd never have gotten this far if I gave up. It's not perfect, but the overall pattern is intact. I'm satisfied and praying I don't have to start over again, again :)

Here's what I have now, having just finished the first repeat and started on the second

Not Ranked
Posts 10
unaspenser wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 11:52 AM

I have to confess my hat is on the back burner while I do nakniswemo, but I'm about halfway done. :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
RicaWil wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 1:49 PM

Carolyn,

It is confusing but keep at it because eventually it'll work. On the first row of the lattice, you have a p k k p repeated. The knits are going to be swapped with the purls.

p k k p   p k k p   p k k p   will become.....

k p p k   k p p k   k p p k

It makes a V right at the center of each set of 2 knits on the ribbing.

Hope this helps,

Erica

spool64:

RicaWil, yours looks like mine is supposed to!  I too have a bright red.  I think something went wrong after the ribbing, on my row 1 of the lattice.  I've done 5 lattice rows.  I think I have to frog it.  That row 1 is really getting to me, with switching the needle size, doing the cable.  Uggg!!

-Carolyn

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
RicaWil wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 1:51 PM

Mrs Davis,

Now you've got it and it's turning out gorgeous!

Erica

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
RicaWil wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 1:57 PM

Got mine finished. Now I am either going to make another. Or, I may try the Knotty but Nice hat from this site

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter09/PATTknotty.php

Erica

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Jean@77 wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 2:00 PM

Stunning colour!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
on Nov 15, 2011 2:05 PM

That looks awesome. I just finished the rim on a gorgeous red yarn too. I can't wait to start the row repeats. I am doing this project while attempting my first pair of fingerless gloves for my sister, but since I don't like any patterns, I'm trying to create my own. I get bored I switch back to the hat :)

I love seeing all the ones that are done!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Vermontmary wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 3:24 PM

Congratulations on a beautiful hat, Rica!

If I ever get mine finished, I think I'll do the knotty/nice hat too. And it doesn't have so many #$%@ twisty stitches!!

Mary

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 3:45 PM

I finished my first hat last night and I'm sorry to say I will be pulling it apart.  To those out there concerned about the size- GO WITH IT.  I intentionally made my larger as I was concerned about it fitting.  MISTAKE.  I knit mine on size 8 and 10 needles.  Finished product is18 inch circumference and 7 inch tall.  I have a few problems with the increased size.  Although, circumference wise it fits, its large so there is no stretch, which means it just sits on my head, its loose and will keep sliding down and moving around.  Since the bigger needles also mean my rows are taller, I was thinking I would only do 3 repeats before the decrease.  Unfortunately, because of the extra width and slide factor, I had to cut the hat a little shorter so it wouldn't go over my eyes.  I decreased after the 2nd repeat (16 rows in) so it just looks kinda goofy now and I don't like how sloppy it fits (again- all my fault!).  I will be undoing this hat and starting again, using the correct needles.

I do have one question though for those who have finished.  When you did the k2tog and SSK stitches; did you k2tog still using tbl?  And did you slip your SSK stitches tbl as well?  My decreases look funny and I'm thinking its because I did mine regular, through the front.  I thought it may have something to do with which way the stitches crossed, so I did them front, but now all my decrease rows just look like ribbing.  Any suggestions?

Thanks! Dana

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bren Boone wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 5:21 PM

Finished mine!  I used Berroco Comfort.  I truly love this hat.  I've already received many compliments on it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
LaurainATL wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 6:37 PM

fort0093:

I do have one question though for those who have finished.  When you did the k2tog and SSK stitches; did you k2tog still using tbl?  And did you slip your SSK stitches tbl as well?  My decreases look funny and I'm thinking its because I did mine regular, through the front.  I thought it may have something to do with which way the stitches crossed, so I did them front, but now all my decrease rows just look like ribbing.  Any suggestions?

Thanks! Dana

Diana - Most of the decreases are ptog and ssk.  I wasn't paying close attention but the p2tog on round 1 of decreases is probably creating a right-slanting decrease.  The ssk on rounds 6, 8, 9, and 10 is creating a left-slanting decrease. Most of the decreases are ssk.  How are you doing ssk?  The way I learned to do it is (1) slip two stitches knitwise, 1 at a time from left needle to right needle then (2) insert left needle into fronts of the two slipped stitches on right needle and knit the two stitches together.

The k2tog is a double decrease with the s1/psso combo on round 4 of the decrease rounds.  The sequence for the double decrease is s1 (which I did knitwise), then k2tog, then psso (pass the slipped stitch over the k2tog stitch, resulting in two stitches decreased.  I did k2tog the standard way, not tbl.

I hope this helps.  -- Laura

Not Ranked
Posts 8
tkklier wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 7:07 PM

Ack!  I got to the decreasing section and noticed I did not have enough yarn to finish.  I've backed up and taken the four repeats of the lattice pattern down to three.  I hope this doesn't affect the hat size too greatly.  If it wasn't for this set back I would have been finished last night.  The next hat I do in this patter I'm going to increase my tension through out and hope that solves the yarn issue.  Me thinks the yardage  was not accurate on the label.  I  this picture last night with the cellphone, so it's a little off color.  I'm in the middle of my third lattice here.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
sweetie41 wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 10:06 PM

All finished!  I made this for my dad.  Had hubby model it for the pic.  (Had to flip up the ribbing for it to fit him, but it will fit my dad just fine.)  I made the large size.  Planning to make at least a couple more of this pattern.  Love it!                                                                          

Page 14 of 19 (281 items) « First ...  < Previous  12 13 14 15 16  Next >  ... Last » | RSS