Official forum for the KOOLHAAS HAT KNIT-ALONG!

This post has 280 Replies | 40 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 10:11 PM

tkklier:
I hope this doesn't affect the hat size too greatly.

I don't think it will. . .It looks like your ribbing is maybe taller than 1 1/4", so that will make up for any lost height in the rest of the hat. I'm sure it will turn out beautifully. Your yarn is gorgeous and your knitting looks great, too. I'm using cheap yarn, so I have plenty of it, lol. I would hate to have pulled out nice yarn as many times as have this simply soft. Once I master that pattern, maybe I can get some really nice yarn and make another one.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
KathyAF wrote
on Nov 16, 2011 10:18 AM

Just got back from vacation and hope to catch up with folks!  Looking forward to knitting this one, maybe several for Christmas.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 16, 2011 3:14 PM

I'm halfway through the third pattern repeat, and it is getting easier to see what those stitches are doing. I'm relieved to be making real progress now. I'm only moving the lifeline up when I do the LPC/RPC rounds now, so I'm coming along well. When I get to the decrease rounds, I'll have to go back to using it every round for insurance against too much frogging. I've had enough of that for a while already! Happy knitting, everyone :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
LaurainATL wrote
on Nov 16, 2011 3:35 PM

Woohoo!  Looks great.

mrsdavis86:

I'm halfway through the third pattern repeat, and it is getting easier to see what those stitches are doing. I'm relieved to be making real progress now. I'm only moving the lifeline up when I do the LPC/RPC rounds now, so I'm coming along well. When I get to the decrease rounds, I'll have to go back to using it every round for insurance against too much frogging. I've had enough of that for a while already! Happy knitting, everyone :)

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Jean@77 wrote
on Nov 16, 2011 5:19 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This has changed my life :-)  - re cables with no cable needle

I am doing a cowl for my d-i-l which is made of a very long narrow strip, 7'+, with a cable all the way down the centre, so this makes it much easier to do.

Hat iscoming along very well too.  I have the Cascade Pacific because I like the deep rich red colour and slight shine

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 16, 2011 10:02 PM

Would anyone know if a ssk improved (slip one knitwise, slip one purlwise, then knit together) would be nicer-looking on this hat? It is supposed to lie flatter than a regular ssk. I don't know anything about it other than I found a video for it on youtube when I was looking for demonstrations.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
on Nov 16, 2011 10:11 PM

Got 1/4 of the way thru the first pattern repeat on my 2nd hat. Absolutely love the red yarn I'm using this time. The cable really stands out!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 16, 2011 10:17 PM

Dispatchergurl:
Got 1/4 of the way thru the first pattern repeat on my 2nd hat. Absolutely love the red yarn I'm using this time. The cable really stands out!!

Yeah for you. . .I'm jealous, but I'm coming along on my first one. I am pretty sure I'm going to make more of this pattern; it would be a shame to go through all the pain of figuring out the pattern and then only make one, lol!

Ick!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
on Nov 16, 2011 10:34 PM

Don't be Jealous MrsDavis...my Firestone had issues but I highlighted those parts so I don't have the same problem twice.  This will be my holiday spirit hat. I have never used this yarn before. I love the anti pill. My last one shed and made the pattern stand out less than this one. Plus I used a lifeline for a couple repeats in the first one  i will probably run one after my 8th row again this time. Too much hard work to frog all the way back. Good luck on yours

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 17, 2011 9:54 AM

Dispatchergurl:
Good luck on yours

Thanks muchly. . .I am starting to actually enjoy working on this hat. That was my goal starting out; I really want to stretch my skills and learn to enjoy new techniques and making things I've not made before. It's so easy to get in a rut when you are learning; I learn how to do something, then do it to ad-nauseum before I finally try to learn something new. My one exception has been cables; I did a cabled scarf last winter, and then haven't done a single cabled project since. Anyway, I've been scared of hats since I started learning how to knit. I've looked ahead at the decrease instructions, read the comments on here about problems, and looked up techniques on You Tube. I feel pretty confident I can finish this project if I'm careful and pay attention to detail. I have a habit of thinking I have it down and getting careless. This project is breaking me of that habit. . .all that frogging is enough to make anyone more cautious, lol!

I am so glad I signed up for this KAL, because if I hadn't, I still would be scared of hats. I'm not anymore--I respect the difficulties, but I'm not afraid of it anymore. Yeah me!!!

Big Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Vermontmary wrote
on Nov 17, 2011 11:58 AM

Well, yes, it is a pattern that requires a lot of attention... I have just frogged the whole mess— the pattern really doesn't hide screw ups very well, I find!!

I guess I'll start over in an hour or so when I've stopped being so annoyed. I'd like to think it will go more quickly this time around. I really do know how to do it, but have a lot of trouble fiddling with the cable needle every other stitch (it falls out a lot. I'm going to pick up one of those old fashioned "U-turn" style needles... which will take longer to knit off, but... grrrrr!)

Wish me luck!

Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 7
spool64 wrote
on Nov 17, 2011 12:54 PM

Hey, Vermontmary,

Do not despair.  Several of us have been in the same place you are at.  I ripped mine out for the umpteenth time yesterday, back to the ribbing.  I think I've actually got it going now, but I'm sure I'll run into some more obstacles before it is done.  Hopefully you get some comfort from others as you can see that it is a challenging pattern.

As to dealing with the cable stitch holder, I am using the technique demonstrated in the #6 posting-there is a very good video on how to slip the stitch off the needle and then back on.  Check it out.  Maybe even practice with a larger needle and a few stitches, just for the technique.  There is a lot of cabling going on in this hat, and you really don't need to use a cable holder.

Hang in there.  Just put it down until you've cooled off, have a little chunk of time to dedicate to it.  You can do it!

-Carolyn

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Vermontmary wrote
on Nov 17, 2011 1:12 PM

Thanks, Carolyn!

I'll check that video out... I am even doing the ribbing over, just because it's less trouble than picking up those stupid ribbing stitches!! It is surprising how challenging this pattern is. I've always just sailed along without worries, but this has my (cranky) attention!!! Luckily, I love working with my wool, which makes it a bit easier to carry on!

Mary

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
on Nov 17, 2011 3:52 PM

Hey Vermontmary,

Don't feel bad...That's why I knew the hat would be a challenge...We both know all the stitches...It is the direction reading that seems to trip us up...I have the same problem...I read very carefully and try to visualize what I am supposed to do..Eventually I get my duh moment...I keep reading until I understand and then attempt it...I too have frogged alot..But I laugh alot too...I sometimes anticipate what to do rather than really reading thoroughly...

Hope this helps...I am just casting on now...Have been sick for a while...The flu is a nasty thing this year...

Happy Knitting'

Linda

Not Ranked
Posts 7
spool64 wrote
on Nov 17, 2011 5:50 PM

Hi Vermont Mary,

I also have come across a VERY helpful knitting blog, that has great pictures of managing the left and right cable stitches on the needles (rather than the cable holder).  It is at http://www.grumperina.com/cables.htm.  I think the pictures are great to look at as you are trying to master it-the video mentioned earlier is good for an overall sense of what you are doing. 

-Carolyn

Page 15 of 19 (281 items) « First ...  < Previous  13 14 15 16 17  Next >  ... Last » | RSS