Official forum for the KOOLHAAS HAT KNIT-ALONG!

This post has 280 Replies | 40 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Vermontmary wrote
on Nov 20, 2011 8:54 PM

Thanks! Yeah... anything but that hat!!!!!!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Nov 21, 2011 7:15 AM

Can someone please explain to me round 8 on the slipping of the stitch?  It is a little different from round 6 and I have tried different ways but am not succeeding.  I keep messing up on the top v's of the cable.  Please help me.  The hats that have been shown completed are so beautiful. I am determined to get this pattern right.  I know one of you experts can guide me correctly!!  Thanks!!!!

Danette Bares

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 21, 2011 8:28 AM

Danette Bares:
Can someone please explain to me round 8 on the slipping of the stitch?

I'm not an expert, but someone else told me to do exactly what the pattern says. . .so on Rnd 8, you do the whole round, and when you're finished, then slip that last stitch to the right needle (without doing anything to it), take your marker off, put the stitch you slipped back on the left needle, and put your marker on the right needle and you're ready to start Rnd 1 again. All you are doing is moving the marker so you will be in the correct spot to start the pattern repeat for Rnd 1. You don't have to do anything special on the round; just knit it in pattern, then move the marker. Hope this helps.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
KimD wrote
on Nov 21, 2011 8:39 AM

A bit late but I have my pattern, I have my yarn - Cascade Softspun in a lovely heathered gold - ready to knit. Yeeha!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 21, 2011 9:03 AM

Hmmm. . .I don't know what happened to my finished hat pic, but I've laundered it and took a couple more pics anyway, so here they are:

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 21, 2011 10:24 AM

LaurainATL:
what a great learning opportunity with all of the KAL helpers.  Best of luck with this next attempt. 

I'm looking back while I sit here in my comfy chair with my cozy hat on my head, just because I finished it and it looks good (and feels pretty good, too)! I got a lot of benefit from this KAL, and highly recommend KAL's to anyone wanting to try something they haven't done before. My finished hat far exceeds my original expectations. . .if I weren't so darned attached to it, I could give it as a gift. I guess I'll have to make some more of them, lol. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions and encouraged me. I am SO glad I didn't give up on this; I would have missed out on some wonderful learning opportunities. Now I'll never be intimidated by a hat pattern again!

Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
bythesea1207 wrote
on Nov 21, 2011 11:15 AM

unaspenser:

I've got this pattern and I've knitted it before, and it's fun!  Not sure what yarn I'll use yet but I'm definitely going to make this for my husband, so count me in.  I haven't decided which yarn I'll use yet, but I'll go stash dive this evening and see what I can dig up.

Would it be possi ble to get a copy of this pattern as I would love to knit this one for my grandchildren for Christmas!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Nov 21, 2011 5:28 PM

Danette

Knit row 8 as stated until you reach the marker.  Remove the marker, slip the next stitch (which would be stitch 1 of next row) and replace marker.  That slip stitch is now the last stitch of row 8.  Hope that helps!

Dana

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Nov 21, 2011 8:04 PM

Thank you so much!!!  I will definately try that!!!  I really appreciate your response.

Danette

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Nov 21, 2011 8:07 PM

Thank you so much Dana!!  So do you not knit that stitch??

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Nov 21, 2011 8:52 PM

Nope.  You won't knit the slipped stitch until the end of Row 1

Not Ranked
Posts 14
on Nov 22, 2011 10:22 AM

What a fun project! I didn't get started until last week, but the hat came out perfectly! I used some leftover Patons Classic Wool, and liked the finished hat so much I'm making gloves to match.

Took me a few frog-laden tries to get the pattern going right—I'm used to doing two things at once when I knit, and that wasn't such a good idea when establishing this pattern; but once going it was a snap. I didn't use the cable needle since I could knit a lot faster without it, and "scootching" one stitch around is pretty easy.

Am definitely adding this to my stash-buster to-do list!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
spool64 wrote
on Nov 22, 2011 10:43 AM

Catherine Grace-Your ensemble looks lovely!  Beautiful handicraft, rich color, wonderful.  Did you make these as a gift, or for yourself?  I hope you treat yourself!

I'm finishing the 3rd round of the lattice pattern, one more iteration to go, then the big finish.  Still on schedule, but I thought I'd be done a little sooner.  Oh well.

I see "blocking" is on the schedule for this Saturday, 11/26.  Anyone doing it?/done it?

-Carolyn

Not Ranked
Posts 14
on Nov 22, 2011 10:50 AM

For myself this time around—I always claim the firsties before making something as a gift!  And I didn't block hat; it fits just fine, and nothing is wiggly or tending to roll. I may steam-block the pattern area of the gloves, however. I used smaller needles for those, and the pattern tends to pull in on itself a bit. Having used 100% wool, though I need to be careful when blocking and/or laundering!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
unaspenser wrote
on Nov 22, 2011 5:24 PM

Since the pattern is copyrighted I wouldn't feel right about photocopying it.  It's available to download through ravelry or Jared Flood's website: http://brooklyntweed.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_4&products_id=9

Page 17 of 19 (281 items) « First ...  < Previous  15 16 17 18 19  Next > | RSS