Official forum for the KOOLHAAS HAT KNIT-ALONG!

This post has 280 Replies | 40 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 14
cerafaery wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 1:01 AM

I am really excited to be knitting this hat.  I have looked at the pattern repeatedly over the years, but never quite bothered to buy/make it.  This gives me the perfect excuse.  Now I just have to figure out what yarn I have that will work well.  

Not Ranked
Posts 1
OrangeLoren wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 5:11 AM

Hi, I'm Lauren! I too have paused at this pattern and am eager to join in.  I am dying some worsted superwash wool from knit picks today, just for it.  Then, I hope to start up in a day or 2.  Aiming for a deep pink, let's see what vermillion dye gives me!  

Not Ranked
Posts 1
SaritaC wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 7:34 AM

This will be my first knit along.  I think I will get into my stash of handspun yarn from my flock of sheep.  This may be a good time to pull out Gerty's fleece  (she is 1/2 registered Oxford and 1/2 Border Liecester).  Her wool is very silky and has a luster.  Or maybe Tizzy's...she is a registered shetland ewe and  has very long and soft moorit wool.  I will download the pattern and give it a look.  I really like the finished hat...and I think my daughters will like them for Christmas.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
KateB@55 wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 8:03 AM

I'm looking forward to this knit-along.  I haven't chosen a yarn yet.  I need to decide if this hat will be for me, which means using the rest of my malabrigo worsted to match my scarf or will I knit this for a male family member and maybe use my grey swish worsted.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
RosettaW wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 9:24 AM

Hi , that is where I had a problem but I figured it out. The last stitch of round 6 is the first stitch of rnds 7 & 8 then after rnd 8 you move the stitch back to the original. I believe this is correct but this is after I frogged the pattern several times.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
justjulie wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 9:26 AM

I consider myself an early-intermediate stitcher.  I can follow a pattern, but have never used a chart only.  So that will be new this time.  I've also only done basic things, to learn technique.  I've never ventured into unknown territorities.  I'm wondering if I use Deborah Norvilles Everyday Soft Worsted in a variegated color (Carnivale--which I love and made fingerless gloves with), or any variegated for that matter, will it seriously detract from the lovely diamond pattern?  Or will it add another layer of interest?

Thoughts?  Advice?  Thanks!

julie

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 32
Tgene52 wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 9:31 AM

This is not that easy, evidently I have attention deficeit syndrome or something and cannot keep track of which way I am going on my alternating front and back cable stitches and then when the pattern calls for alternating ktbl and purls I can't remember to go  thru the back loop.I  am trying this pattern with some brown Cascade Palace I had stashed.   I have some interesting, muddled stitches but I wouldn't call it a lattice, I think this is my "practice hat" while I wait to get my skein of Yak yarn.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 32
Tgene52 wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 11:48 AM

OK frogging my "practice hat" as it has turned real ugly on me.  Will start over and maybe just do 2 rows and rest,  at a time, try going a little slower. Ugh. I know I can do this.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
SirBrunhilda wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 12:26 PM

I would not use a variegated yarn for this, as I truly believe that the crossed stitches would get lost in the color changes.  At most I would use a semi-solid or tone-on-tone.  I just finished this one using Paton's Angora Bamboo; and, I am going to make another one this month using Cascade Eco Duo in a pale beige tone.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Sara@118 wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 3:47 PM

Yes Hi! I'm Sara and I have actually made two of these KoolHaas hats. Chose to use the Shokay yarn as both recipients live in the North of USA where it gets really cold. The pattern was easy to work with and the yarn was great.  Finished products - BEAUTIFUL. So glad it's a KAL choice!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 3:59 PM

I'm so glad there are ppl who have made this project on the KAL, because I really want to figure it out and do it. I've been letting my fear of hats stop me from trying it. I'm ready to overcome that barrier, so I'll be tapping into the knowledge here to do it!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 4:13 PM

Oh. . .duh. . .I see it now. I missed the symbol for that stitch in the legend. Okay, now I don't feel so bad other than that I missed something so obvious it could have bitten me, lol :) Thanks so much, tonya0421!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
ShutterbugC wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 4:24 PM

Hi!

This is my first knit along and just got the pattern.  I have been knitting on and off for years but always avoid going the gauge things.  Of course, this was fine except when I started to knit things where size matters.  I have some yarn in my stash but I am unsure how to go about knitting the swatch, do I just knit all the rows or do I do the lattice pattern to determine my gauge.  Also how large of a swatch do I knit?  Thanks for any help.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 4:40 PM

I removed this post because the pattern had errors and I don't want anyone coming in to be confused by it! I re-posted the corrected pattern today.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 4:47 PM

I like your hat, and you are a great knitter. . .I might need some serious help before I can turn one of these babies out. I've NEVER made a hat; not even one that is knit flat and sewn together. Call me a chicken, but I'm calling myself an overcomer and I will make this hat. I make no promises how the first one will look, but I will learn and I will make one for my son before the end of December :)

Page 3 of 19 (281 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS