Official forum for the KOOLHAAS HAT KNIT-ALONG!

This post has 280 Replies | 40 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 11
justjulie wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 5:07 PM

Thank you for the advice.  I thought that might be the case.  I like your finished hat.  I think I'll pick out a color from the variegated and do solid.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
justjulie wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 5:11 PM

What a good idea, Mrs.Davis, to write out the translation of the chart as you did.  I much prefer reading a pattern.  Translating the chart as I'm knitting will be too distracting for me, I think.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
crmills wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 5:28 PM

Just finished listing the items I'll knit for the 15 members of my family for our Christmas Stocking Gifts.  I'll definitely use this had  for at least 3 adults!  I can't wait to get into my stash tomorrow and get started!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 6, 2011 9:21 PM

A good idea for me. . .as I'm terrible with charts. . .I just need a more experienced chart knitter to go over what I've done and make sure I didn't make mistakes in writing it out!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 12:20 AM

No good- I'm already getting frustrated.  I can read charts, although I'd rather have them written out, so I am in the process of writing out the chart.  But I can't even intrepret what all his symbols are.  I've done a honeycomb pattern before so I figured this lattice would be doable but not if I can't figure out how to read the pattern!  I've pasted the lines I'm not sure on.  I get the slip stitch to cable needle, where to hold the needle and then knitting through back, etc.  What's confusing me is the 1/1 LC 1/1 RPC etc.  What does that stand for and do I need to do somethiing with this?  I'm not familiar with seeing this before.   Thanks!

1/1 LC: sl 1 st onto cn and hold in front, k1tbl, k1tbl from cn

1/1 RPC: sl 1 st onto cn and hold in back, k1tbl, p1 from cn

1/1 LPC: sl 1 st onto cn and hold in front, p1, k1tbl from cn

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 2:09 AM

Well, I think I got my chart question answered.  I actually found the answer on this site from a post 2-3 years ago.  Anyway, now that I have my chart written out and am starting my swatch, I have a question to those that have made this hat before.  In looking at the size, 16" circumference is really small.  I believe the average women's size is around 22"?  Is it 16" unstretched and perhaps will stretch to fit?  I would hate to finish the hat and have it be too small.  Should I make it larger?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
rxpkls wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 5:29 AM

would like to join the knit along waiting for pattern download problems will catch up. 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
sharonm01721 wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 8:33 AM

Hi All

I am excited to start the hat, I am going to attempt to swatch in the round to check needle size.  I have some pretty ice blue worsted weight (with no ball band, so i am not sure who's it is - that looks to be enough to get a hat out of. 

Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Nov 7, 2011 9:06 AM

My first Kal and chosen the yarn from my stash - Debbie Bliss Fez with Camel, its so soft am sure it will be perfect for this I have knitted up the rib already to check and it is soooo soft.   One big snag never read a chart before and even with the legend there are things I do not understand although most likely very obvious.  What do LC; RCP; LCP stand for?  Thanks 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
betsyocampo wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 9:14 AM

I'm in! This hat is super cute -- excited to start! My sister and I are both joining this KAL so it should be fun doing it together. :) I'm going to be using Spud & Chloe Sweater in Jelly Bean. Can't wait to see everybody's hats! Love KALs!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Redbug wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 9:42 AM

I want to make this hat.  I am concerned about the hat fitting me.  My head seems to be a bit larger than the average.  Nearly every hat I try on is too small for me and not comfortable. The pattern says the hat has a 16" circumference.  My head circumference measures 22 3/8".  I'm wondering if I should make the hat a bit larger.  Anyone else is this situation?  Should I use a bit thicker yarn or bump up the needle size?

Not Ranked
Posts 7
spool64 wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 12:32 PM

Hi Redbug,

I'd first try bumping up to the next needle size.  I guess if it's still too small you could gift it, and then try again, going to the next size, or adding stitches.  You'd have to play around with the pattern instructions if you add stitches.

Good luck,

Carolyn

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 1:05 PM

How exactly do I go about making a gauge swatch for this pattern, since it is a circular knitting pattern? I managed to translate the chart for circular knitting, but what to do for the swatch, I don't have a clue other than starting the pattern and working it far enough to check gauge, then frogging and starting over if it's not right.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,513
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Nov 7, 2011 1:39 PM

Hi Mrs. Davis,

I'd just cast on twice the amount of stitches you're supposed to have in gauge and knit a small circular gauge. Three pattern repeats should do the trick.

Kathleen

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,513
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Nov 7, 2011 1:41 PM

Hi Redbug,

This hat s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-s!! The only thing I'd do differently is add one or two pattern repeats before you start the crown decreases. I have a big head, too, and I wished my finished product was a little longer.

Kathleen

Page 4 of 19 (281 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS