Official forum for the KOOLHAAS HAT KNIT-ALONG!

This post has 280 Replies | 40 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Nov 7, 2011 2:06 PM

I've made hats before, but this is only my second KAL.  The first was a roaring success and I expect this one will be, too.  I sure hope you are right about how much the hat stretches, because I usually assume a 22 inch head circumference.  I have some lavendar yarn from my stash and I'm going to make this hat for a friend who is a strawberry blonde - it should look great on her!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,512
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Nov 7, 2011 2:26 PM

Hi Fort0093,

Did you figure this out? You just follow the directions in the key and the cables come out as they should.

1/1 LC: sl 1 st onto cn and hold in front, k1tbl, k1tbl from cn ("LC" stands for left cross)

1/1 RPC: sl 1 st onto cn and hold in back, k1tbl, p1 from cn ("RPC" stands for right cross with the last stitch being purled)

1/1 LPC: sl 1 st onto cn and hold in front, p1, k1tbl from cn ("LPC" stands for left cross with the first stitch being purled)

Hope this helps,

Kathleen

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Nov 7, 2011 2:38 PM

Kathleen I have just not come across these terms before LC - left cross, what does that mean

I only started knitting again a few years ago ( used to do lots of cable types for kids when young) so not up to speed with modern terms.  I can work the pattern out by looking at it I think, but want to try and ensure I do it exactly right.

Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 2
KathleenC@53 wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 3:34 PM

I did not realize that the KAL has started!   I am heading to Joanne's tonight so I will look for yarn.  Is this the correct forum for signing up?  This is my first KAL. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
jelli wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 4:21 PM

This is my first KAL. I'm not an experienced knitter, but I'm not brand new either! I'll be knitting the Koolhaas with Tosh Vintage in Lepidoptra.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
on Nov 7, 2011 4:45 PM

I just cast it on today at work :). I have part of the ribbing done. I ended up using some Jiffy Wool Ease since I just finished mittens and had a skein left!I wish I could do more of it at work, but I get interrupted A LOT!!!

I plan to really work on it tomorrow, on my day off. I keep pouring over the chart and pattern trying to visualize what I'm supposed to do, but I'm really screaming ahhhh I hope I can do this on the inside!!!! 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 6:19 PM

I started my hat and have completed the ribbing section.  I started the first row of the pattern and it looks like its backwards.  I've ripped it out 3 times now and keep getting the same result.  Does anyone elses look back ward, or upside down, when they started?  To better explain, when you look at the completed hat in the pattern, see how the stockinette stitches branch apart and make an inverted v with the stitches next to it, with the lattice pattern going up?  Mine are reversed.  My garter stitches look like the ones that are splitting and instead of pointing up they look like they are pointing down.  I'm not sure if I am explaining this right.  Is anyone else having this problem or is that just how it looks the first row and it will work itself out?  If I am doing this wrong, does anyone have a guess as to what I may be doing wrong?  The only thing I can think of is that maybe my cables are twisting?  I'm just slidding them straight onto the cable needle- I'm not slip stiching them knitwise or purl wise... is that my mistake?  Thanks! 

Dana

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 8:17 PM

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for the info on swatching. . .did you get a chance to look over my translation of the chart to see if I have it correct? I don't want to pull my hair out because I translated it wrong, lol!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 8:17 PM

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for the info on swatching. . .did you get a chance to look over my translation of the chart to see if I have it correct? I don't want to pull my hair out because I translated it wrong, lol!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
lisbet2 wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 9:00 PM

Hi!  This is my first KAL too.  I have swatched the hat in Diamond Luxury LIMA in the color 'Kingfisher'...the swatch looks great.  Now I'm off to get started.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Nov 7, 2011 9:54 PM

I've never done a KAL before, but I've been eying this hat for a while, and I have a ball of Malabrigo Rio left over from a pair of mittens that also features traveling stitches.  I think that's enough to convince me to jump in and knit along with the rest of you. I'm hoping to swatch this at my knitting group on Wednesday.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
laughtons wrote
on Nov 8, 2011 6:56 AM

I tried this hat by myself last year and had the same problem as Dana. No matter how many times I tried I couldn't get the pattern right. It looked ok the way I was doing it but I put it down for too long and when I started working on it again I couldn't figure out my pattern! I was excited when I saw this might be a KAL. Let me know if you find any helpful tips you want to share. I can use all I can get! Thanks, Karen

Not Ranked
Posts 4
ruthess wrote
on Nov 8, 2011 7:15 AM

Hi, I think  Rounds One and Five should read like this:

Round 1:  *sl 1 st onto cn and hold in front, P1, K1 tbl from cn,   sl 1 st onto cn and hold in back, K1 tbl, P1 from cn * repeat to end.                       

Round 5:  *sl 1 st onto cn and hold in back, K1 tbl, P1 from cn,  sl 1 st onto cn and hold in front, P1, K1 tbl from cn * repeat to end.                       

Hope that helps..............I am knitting this in a beautiful Blue-faced Leicester [spelling?], hand dyed by the owner of my LYS - an 'old gold' colour.

Ruth

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 8, 2011 8:06 AM

Hi Ruth,

You are so right! I looked back at the chart key, and see that I totally missed that p1. This is why I asked for others to look over my translation. That will save me some hair-pulling for sure, lol. I'm finishing up a crocheted thread doily today and hopefully casting on this hat tonight. I'm looking forward to making it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
akaabele wrote
on Nov 8, 2011 8:20 AM

I am nervous about this hat.  But I am getting tired of the the standard roled brimed hat.  I signed up to keep me mototivated and look for incouragement if I get discouraged.

Page 5 of 19 (281 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS