Official forum for the KOOLHAAS HAT KNIT-ALONG!

This post has 280 Replies | 40 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
DawnHM wrote
on Nov 8, 2011 9:20 AM

Hi! My name is Dawn and I have been knitting for a few years but this is my first knit along. I have knit some sweaters recently but love knitting hats and scarves - instant gratification and they always fit! I will be heading to my LYS to pick up yarn today and will get started tonight...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,335
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Nov 8, 2011 11:38 AM

ruthess:

Hi, I think  Rounds One and Five should read like this:

Round 1:  *sl 1 st onto cn and hold in front, P1, K1 tbl from cn,   sl 1 st onto cn and hold in back, K1 tbl, P1 from cn * repeat to end.                       

Round 5:  *sl 1 st onto cn and hold in back, K1 tbl, P1 from cn,  sl 1 st onto cn and hold in front, P1, K1 tbl from cn * repeat to end.                       

That looks right to me, Ruthess.

Kathleen

Not Ranked
Posts 7
spool64 wrote
on Nov 8, 2011 12:18 PM

I'm going with a very bright, Xmasy red wool yarn from Joann's.  I was planning to use a little bit better quality yarn, but have not been able to go to the "good" yarn store.  I didn't want to wait to start the project.  I've finished the ribbing, now on to the real work!

Wondering how many KAL folks we have in total.  Is there an easy way to track the number of unique posters to this blog?  Has everyone chimed in?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Vermontmary wrote
on Nov 8, 2011 1:08 PM

Like so many others, this is my first KAL. I just visited my LYS and bought some lovely Rowan lima, 84% baby alpaca, 8% merino wool, 8% nylon.Soft!!!! I have knitted for many years, but only recently have become aware of all the "new" jargon. I find just reading the Koolhaas pattern challenging, so knitting it will be a learning experience, I think. I'll be looking for some support once I get swatched and the ribbing done...

Vermontmary

Not Ranked
Posts 11
bgroulx wrote
on Nov 8, 2011 3:42 PM

Brigette here ~

I'm in ~  I failed at the Bella Blouse (was overwhelmed) so, I'll try this KAL.  I just downloaded the pattern and I'm sure I have yarn deep in my home stash.    Thanks Kathleen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Vermontmary wrote
on Nov 8, 2011 6:55 PM

Well, I did my swatch with #8 needles, and got four inches with 22 stitches... I guess it's back to the needle box to find the sweet spot! 

Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Nov 8, 2011 7:15 PM

Thanks to the kind person who translated rows 1 and 5 ruthess I think, I had done my test swatch and ribbing so did the first row, I think its right V - - V all the way round, I hope this is right.  Now to try row two and see if it first with row 1.  I know I seem to be dashing ahead but I suffer from health problems including hand pain, only just started knitting again last month after 4 months of not being able to hold the needles so want to do this before hands flare again.

Thanks

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
on Nov 8, 2011 7:25 PM

Thank you Ruth you made it so much easier with your translation starting row 4 and it looks right. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Nov 8, 2011 7:54 PM

This is my first Knit Along and I am excited.  Bought the yarn, 52% Mulberry silk, 48% Merino wool, Mulberry Merino by Plymouth Yarn Co.  I have not done cables in a long time so I may try the video of cabling without cable needles and see what happens!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 8, 2011 9:11 PM

Argh. . .a whole tote full of knitting needles and no. . .count 'em, zero 16" circulars. Sigh; I'll be trekking to the store to get some tomorrow so I can start this hat. I did find my dpns, though. Disappointed I can't do my swatch tonight :(

Not Ranked
Posts 7
KristiH wrote
on Nov 9, 2011 4:39 AM

I've never knit this before, nor participated in a KAL! I'm usually a slow knitter so I hope this will inspire me to finish more quickly.

I'm thinking about using a 60% cotton 40% acrylic yarn. Will it be stretchy enough? Will yarn memory be a problem?

I have a 60% milk fibre, 40% wool yarn I could use instead, but I don't like the colour as much.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
DawnHM wrote
on Nov 9, 2011 7:08 AM

I am using Sweet Georgia 100% superwash merino wool in boysenberry (see color swatch below). I have an entire sweater (with cables!) that I am frogging - hate the fit, but L-O-V-E the yarn...

Superwash Worsted

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
on Nov 9, 2011 7:30 AM

How do I add a picture to my post?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
LaurainATL wrote
on Nov 9, 2011 8:16 AM

Joining the KAL.  I have wanted to knit this hat and now I have an excuse to do so.  I am using Berroco Voyage in the Banana color.  I plan to wear the hat at the first Michigan-Nebraska game on November 19.  Fans are asked to wear 'maize' to games cuz it shows up better in the stands than the blue does.  Go Blue!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
on Nov 9, 2011 9:35 AM

This is how far I got last night...it looks right to me!

Page 6 of 19 (281 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next >  ... Last » | RSS