Official forum for the KOOLHAAS HAT KNIT-ALONG!

This post has 280 Replies | 40 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
RicaWil wrote
on Nov 9, 2011 11:36 AM

I am using Debra Norville "Everyday" in Really Red. It was cheap, and I figure that I'll use some expensive yarn for the next one.

I had the ribbing and 5 rows done. But I had to frog back to the ribbing. Somehow I read the instructions wrong, and went from the ribbing to the written decrease instructions. It would have been the shortest hat in history lol.

I am now going by the chart and it is looking good. My Vs are in the right direction.

Erica

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 85
Chris Essler wrote
on Nov 9, 2011 12:32 PM

Hi Everyone.  I am Chris from Brooklyn and I have survived the Bella Blouse only because I put it away for a time.  Perhaps the hat will be less of a challenge although I haven't worked with a cable needle yet.  I thought this is the best time to start as any.  I am going to use Louet Riverstone light worsted in "Caribou" -- which should have just been named Chocolate Moose!  I can see already there are many helpful hints in this KAL which I will be referring to a lot over the next few days. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Nov 9, 2011 4:03 PM

Love this beautiful hat.  I'm using navy blue Lion Wool ease.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
unaspenser wrote
on Nov 9, 2011 5:35 PM

I don't think there's an error, I have that one and the Interweave Accessories from last winter and the pattern appears the same.  You don't work the last st. of rnd 6, it just becomes the first st. of rnd 7.  It doesn't show at all in my hat so far.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Nov 9, 2011 5:39 PM

This is my first KAL!  I am using Berrocco Ultra Alpaca in a beautiful heathered "dusty" teal from my stash.  The hat will then match a scarf I knitted recently with the same yarn.  Beginning the hat tonight.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Nov 9, 2011 5:45 PM

I probably should be able to figure this out but I am stuck.  What do the abbreviations "LC," "RPC," and "LPC" in the pattern stand for?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Wefour wrote
on Nov 9, 2011 6:57 PM

Hi, I'm dede from Seattle.  Although I've been knitting forever, this will be my first knit-along.

I'm pleased to be making this hat; currently finishing a baby gift, so will begin tonight or in the morning. Using Cascade 220 superwash from my stash, in a teal heather.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mrsdavis86 wrote
on Nov 9, 2011 11:04 PM

As usual, I'm running behind. Finally found some 16" circular needles this afternoon. Maybe I'll get my hat started tomorrow. I'm going to try the gauge swatch, though at the rate I knit that may be all I get done tomorrow, lol. . .IF I don't get confused on the pattern.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
pingKnitter wrote
on Nov 10, 2011 12:06 AM

I have some leftover Bernat Satin Plum Mist Heather yarn from a prayer shawl I just finished.  I tired both size 8 and 7 needles and the swatch is too big.  Finally setting on size 6 needles which was very close to the gauge.  Working on the swatch helped me to understand the pattern; very pretty. 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
ruthess wrote
on Nov 10, 2011 12:10 AM

Hi!

LC - Left Cross

RPC - Right Purl Cross

LPC - Left Purl Cross

The instructions on how to do these are under the chart, and to the right.

Someone [I'm sorry, I've forgotten who - very rude of me!] asked what these symbols represent - a right or left cross is a [usually] single stitch that 'travels' across the knitted fabric. While a cable usually has two 'ropes' that cross each other, the RC and LC etc are usually seen as travelling stitches, and only 'cross' in order to move across the knitting, not to wind around each other as in a cable.

Gosh, I hope I've made that clear and haven't muddied the waters further! [my apologies if I have!]

Regards to all.............Ruth

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Nov 10, 2011 12:36 AM

Thanks to all who shared their written out instructions.  For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why my rows were inverted.  I ripped and re-worked many times and re read the patterns even more times and couldn't find the error.  After putting project away for a day and returning, and reading the posts, I discovered I had matched the symbols wrong from the code to the chart.  I mixed up the RPC and LPC.  I wouldn't have figured that out if it weren't for the people who shared their written instructions.  THANK YOU!!!  I can begin again!

Dana

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Nov 10, 2011 12:41 AM

OH... and I know a few other have mentioned concern over hat size as well.  For what its worth, I'm going with size 8 and 10 needles instead of 6 and 8 (my gauge for small needle was between 6 and 7).  I'll let you know what my final size turns out to be for finished project in case anyone's is too small or they wish to make a larger one.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Nov 10, 2011 4:26 AM

I really want to knit this hat!  I hav had the pattern for over a month, but am busy with easier projects.  I think I am in the advanced beginner stage of knitting.  I was wondering if I could use some of my stash yarn, which is Cascades Dolce yarn which is 55% superfine alpaca, 23% wool, and 22% silk.  needle size 7 with 5 stitchers/"?

If not I have a variagated worsted wt of 4-ply worsted superwash merino wool?  I still have to buy a size 8 circular, since all my interchangeables have WIP's on them.

Would appreciate all the help I can get as I am a slow knitter, but love the craft, and absolutely love Jared Flood's creations.

Sincerely,

Kathy O.

Just a knitter,  just a dream

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Vermontmary wrote
on Nov 10, 2011 8:09 AM

I feel I'm behinder than anyone on this project. I fiddled around with gauge for my beautiful soft wool, and have concluded that it's just too "fat" for the Koolhaas hat. Now I'm headed out to my lys for a more normal worsted weight yarn and a cable needle (the ones I used to own have gone into hiding...).

Now I'll have to think of another project for my soft yarn... probably a less detailed hat!

My slowness has given me the advantage of reading other people's reactions to the pattern... I feel that I can probably tackle it with more confidence now!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
justjulie wrote
on Nov 10, 2011 8:49 AM

Oh no, I'm behind you!  Just got some yarn yesterday and still have to test the gauge and I know I'm going to have to play with needles.  I got Pebbles Classic Elite in color number 2885, a soft orangey red.  It will go nicely with the fingerless gloves I made in Deborah Norville's Everyday worsted color Carnivale (my very favorite color combination).  This is my first foray into trying to swap yarns.  I'm very afraid that I'll have a hat that will be too small.  Guess I could then give it to my grand niece who is yet to be born (in Feb) and she'll grow into it!

Part of my problem is knitting the swatch in the pattern.  I'm leary of jumping into the pattern.  But I do great with cables so it shouldn't be too hard.  Just finishing the tree of life afghan from Lion Brand.  I've got about 1/3 of the border knitted and ready to start stitching it on.  That pattern had a few changes.  But I did a pretty good job.  So this hat should be a piece of cake--chocolate, choc chip with fudge ganache and dark chocolate buttercream icing!  Rigbht?!

Page 7 of 19 (281 items) « First ...  < Previous  5 6 7 8 9  Next >  ... Last » | RSS