The Official Forum for the TURN A SQUARE HAT KNIT-ALONG

This post has 55 Replies | 19 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,467
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Dec 1, 2011 5:04 PM

Turn a Square Hat by Jared Flood
I just finished the Turn a Square Hat by Jared Flood and it was really fun. (My unblocked hat is pictured below right.) The pattern is free on Knitting Daily, and I though some of you may want to make it in last-ditch knitted Christmas gift.

So I'm starting a knit-along for this project. I used Sublime Cashmere Merino Silk Aran and Noro Silk Garden. I love how the colors all worked together.

Here's the schedule:

12-1 to 12-6: Find yarn and knit swatch
12-7 to 12-21: Knit hat
12-22: Block hat
12-23 to 12-24: Wrap hat and put it under the tree (Or wear it Christmas caroling!)

Yarn suggestions: Any worsted-weight yarn will do. Choose a solid and self-striping yarn for a really neat effect. You can also just use two contrasting colors of the same yarn. This is a great stash-buster project!

PLEASE NOTE: Click here for a video on knitting jogless stripes in the round. The tutorial Jared recommends in the pattern is no longer active.

Kathleen's Turn a Square Hat, pre-blocking

Here's how a knit-along works:
1. Download your pattern (or find it in the magazines noted above).
2. Buy your yarn (or find it in your stash).
3. Log on to the forum and introduce yourself and tell us which yarn you're using. This forum is where all of the fun is; it's where you'll share your tips, ask questions, or upload photos, and it's where you'll find support if you're having problems.
4. Post a photo of your finished hat when you're done.

It's as easy as that. Now let's get started!

Cheers,

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Knittybug wrote
on Dec 1, 2011 6:49 PM

Please count me in!  I have been lamenting that I missed the other KAL (Koolhaas).  I seriously was already considering this pattern for my son's hat!    I have some Universal Tapesty self patterning yarn that I will be using instead of striped for this one.

This will also be my first KAL in awhile.  I have only done 2 before and didn't finish either, sad to say...  This one HAS to be finished, so   yay!

*off to get pattern and swatch*

Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
just_cheryl wrote
on Dec 1, 2011 7:44 PM

Morning :) I shall be joining in with this one as I have an awful lot of wool and an OH who wears hats (and his current choice is not great!!) Not done a KAL yet as I always get distracted. hoping oto stay with this one

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Scm200 wrote
on Dec 2, 2011 4:49 AM

Good morning everyone, I have made this hat before and loved it.  Perfect choice for just before Christmas.  I have a skein of kureon color 260 (greens) and a solid green to go with it.  Will dig out the pattern and be ready to go.  Sharon in Massachusetts

Not Ranked
Posts 1
CindyWTX wrote
on Dec 2, 2011 10:18 AM

This will be my first KAL, but I am excited about the pattern.  I teach high school, and students are always asking me to knit them hats!  Now, that is not to say that THIS hat will go to one of them, but who knows!?  Maybe for one of our needy families that the school adopts for Christmas each year.  Anyway, I haven't decided on the yarn yet, but I have several prospects, and a trip to my LYS is always an option! haha  So, let's knit! :)

Not Ranked
Posts 2
NinaL@7 wrote
on Dec 2, 2011 10:54 AM

Just finished hat number one, dark green Primo with leftover Kureyon. Onto #2 black Primo with a different colorway of leftover Kureyon. Will do at least 2 more.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
sharonm01721 wrote
on Dec 2, 2011 11:26 AM

Now that I am awake I can tell you that the solid green is an olive and its Lambs Pride Worsted.  I have cast on and am using a size 5 needle for the ribbing and will go up to a 7 for the body of the hat and the striping.  The tutorial on doing the jogless stripe that is posted was very helpful, doing a slip stitch on the 2nd round of the strip (1st stitch) seems the easiest way to do it. 

Once I have started the noro i will take a pix and post it...

Happy TGIF everyone!

Sharon Cool

Not Ranked
Posts 6
SallyB@29 wrote
on Dec 2, 2011 12:58 PM

I have been admiring this hat pattern for a while...  I have some yarn that I dyed using onions skins that my brother grew in his garden before he died this fall.  There are several variations in color since i kettle dyed them in different batches.  I have been making different hats for each of my family members and have quite a few ends of skeins that I used to make the stripes.  I love how it turned out.  I also made it quite a bit longer as we like to wear them over the ears and a little slouchy.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 58
mamadeitz wrote
on Dec 3, 2011 9:12 AM

I may try this hat -- I was unable to do Koolhaas. just  unable to get gauge and pattern--frogged many times. may try after the holidays.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Scm200 wrote
on Dec 3, 2011 9:35 PM

I am to the top decreasing!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
gaviocks wrote
on Dec 5, 2011 12:09 AM

its a good and cute hat I suppose. Great job Kathleen. Your creation is very nice.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
jjuliane wrote
on Dec 5, 2011 6:06 AM

Hi ! I just found the knit along! I'm in.  Perfect quick knit for Christmas.  Thank you for the inspiration!.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Dec 5, 2011 6:13 AM

We have lost my husband's hat that I knitted for him a few years ago so this is perfect timing!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Vermontmary wrote
on Dec 5, 2011 8:18 AM

Hi! I'm in... have actually knitted almost to the decreases... so far, without incident!! I'm tempted to make a few extra rounds before the decrease so that the hat will pull over ears. I am excited to have learned the non-jog trick where the colors change. It's nearly invisible... brilliant!

My main color is Classic Elite MountainTop Vista, a half alpaca and half wool combination–a rich brown color; my stripes are Lion Brand Amazing, ruby. The Amazing is a bit fuzzy, which lends a little texture, and the colors are blending... I'm loving it!! I just hope I won't have any trouble with the special decrease...

Not Ranked
Posts 3
lzyknitter wrote
on Dec 5, 2011 8:45 AM

Hi Kathleen,

This is a little off topic but wasn't sure where to send an idea for an article.  Please feel free to move this to a different location.  I posted a link on my Facebook page to a human interest story written about our group by the Fayetteville Observer yesterday, and one of my Michigan friends made the comment, that it was wonderful, to hear about the activities of other knit groups. It gave me the idea that you might be interested in our story and activities.

I'm a long time knitter and designer that lives in the Sandhills of North Carolina. We have and extraordinary knit shop in Southern Pines, NC that hosts an extraordinary group of knitters and crocheters. Bella Filati Luxury Yarns was established about seven years ago and hosts social knitting three times a week, Tuesday mornings, Wed. nights, and Saturday afternoons. The nature of our knit group started to evolve into a real community about a year and a half ago when Holly Floyd, owner of Bella Filati was moving the shop from the original location to the current location next door. Holly had purchased the new building, decorated, and needed help inventorying, stock, and moving. The knit group stepped in to help. We had teams counting, and moving the counted stock, teams that helped set up and organize the displays of yarns, needles and accessories in the new locations. Amazing things happened. We all became a close knit group of friends. We started socializing outside of knit group, with one day knitting retreats at various homes. We all feel that we have a stake in the success of OUR shop, although we have no financial interest. It is our knitting home away from home.

One of our younger members had the brilliant idea of setting up a Google Group for the Bella Filati knitters to aid communications. This eliminated the need for anyone to maintain a current e-mail listing. We are constantly inviting new knit group members to join our group.

Holly and Bella Filati has always sponsored various charity activities through the shop where the knit group participates. These include Project Lionus, chemo caps, decorating and donating a Christmas tree for the Sandhills Children's Center, among others. Our latest project has been Hats and for Afghan babies. One of our knit group, is an active duty Army Sargent, currently deployed to Afghanistan. Liz was knitting baby hats for donation to a hospital on base. I came up with a pattern for a generic top down hat that can be knit from any size yarn. Holly agreed to sponsor the effort to support our overseas member and the Afghan Hat project was born. Knit from any kind of baby friendly leftover yarns (soft yarns) the knit group mobilized to make hats. We have shipped about s70 hats and 8 sets of booties and baby socks so far. This wonderful article in the Fayetteville Observer resulted. I’d like to share our story and encourage other groups of knitters to donate small projects from scrap yarns that help others, whether to keep in need babies warm, or help keep our troops safer by building good will with a foreign people. I'll be happy to provide my hat pattern for that purpose.

Please read the attached article. Ours is a unique group, and thank you Holly Floyd and Bella Filati Yarns for providing the location and atmosphere that inspires the knitting community.  Photos are available.

http://www.rr.com/local/topic/article/rr/4473267/56903898/Tight-knit_Moore_County_group_bonds_over_hobby/full/

Mary Powers Meyer

aka: lzyknitter

Page 1 of 4 (56 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS