The Official Forum for the TURN A SQUARE HAT KNIT-ALONG

This post has 55 Replies | 19 Followers rated by 3 users
Not Ranked
Posts 5
RosettaW wrote
on Dec 5, 2011 9:58 AM

Hi, I'm Rosetta. I am thinking about using yarn in my stash. I have Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool and for contrast Paton's Classic Wool. I am home recovering from knee surgery and enjoying this time using up the yarn I have with knitting and crochet projects. I remember seeing this hat on the show but I did not think to make it. My godson is staying with us attending University of Louisville while his family is in Alaska (step father in Army). This would make a great hat for those cold Alaska days and nights!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
gaviocks wrote
on Dec 5, 2011 10:47 PM

Hi Rosetta. I appreciate on what you are doing now. I just want to say good luck on shall I call it your new hobby. Hope you always enjoy doing it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
CarolS@15 wrote
on Dec 6, 2011 8:44 AM

Hello all,

My name is Carol and I am going to join in. Hoping with my baby to be able to keep up and finish by christmas. 

I am going to use Noro and Sublime to keep it simple. I am not a swatcher so this may be interesting. 

Carol

Not Ranked
Posts 3
dkbc52 wrote
on Dec 7, 2011 4:53 AM

I have never done a KAL so I hope I'm not to late!! Although my schedule is crazy and I'm a newer knitter this looks like something I can do and I think my daughter will LOVE it!! 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
dkbc52 wrote
on Dec 7, 2011 5:38 AM

I forgot to introduce myself and say what yarn I will use:  I'm Dianne and using stash yarn (YAY) Aslantrends/natural yarn ECOLANA 60% Alpaca 40% merino wool.  I haven't decided yet if I will add a second color yet I just want to get started.....but have to leave for work so it will have to wait until tonight

Sad

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
on Dec 7, 2011 8:22 AM

Oh I apparently got lost in the shuffle and didn't realize a new KAL had been started! However, I'm already going thru my stash mentally to see what could work. I'm glad we're doing this pattern, although I've been wearing my Koolhaas for several walks .... note to self: Post picture!

Anyhow, I'll be ready to start shortly. Just need to download the pattern! Thanks for the freebie this time!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Amimasu wrote
on Dec 7, 2011 3:12 PM

Hi, I'm Sarah, and I've only been knitting since the beginning of this year.  I've made lots of scarves, but only a few hats, so was not quite sure about this one, since it looked harder than anything I've tackled before.

I've just finished this hat, and several things were new to me -- jogless stripes (such a clever solution!), carrying the yarn up the inside (is there a way to catch it on each round, or is it enough to catch it with each color change?), and the DREADED dpn switch!  I was doing well to find a size 8 16" circular needle, but had never actually used dpns before.  But I figured out how to use them with the help of YouTube tutorials, and got it done.  

For the main color, I used medium-grey acrylic yarn from Michael's craft store, from their Impeccable line -- already in the stash.  I chose some dark blue acrylic yarn for the secondary color, origin unknown with no label, also in the stash.  Although they felt slightly different, they were close to the same size.

I used my size 8 16" circular needles for the ribbing as well, as I am trying not to spend much on myself at this season of the year.  It worked well enough.   I also started the striping a bit later than the directions said, but I'm pleased with the results nonetheless. 

It's a great pattern, and a wonderful learning experience!  I'm thinking of making at least a couple more, now that I know how it all turns out!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Vermontmary wrote
on Dec 7, 2011 4:00 PM

Congratulations on finishing your hat, Sarah! i hope we can see a picture of it soon! I finished mine last night– I think it was a great pattern to work. I am waiting until tomorrow to photograph mine, as the colors are weird in artificial light. I'm also planning to make a couple more before Christmas!! It's a treat to have a cool but very doable project at this time of the year!

Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 2
zumbadilly wrote
on Dec 7, 2011 4:21 PM

I will be using a knitting worsted from my stash.  Haven't knit a hat before and I am intrigued.  Need to work on my gauge. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 158
Grandma V wrote
on Dec 7, 2011 7:54 PM

I would like to follow this KAL - I love knitting hats - perhaps I will join in.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Knittybug wrote
on Dec 8, 2011 4:15 PM

You hat looks awesome!   Congratulations on your new hat and your new skills!

Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
sallyrich1 wrote
on Dec 9, 2011 8:31 AM

Hi Kathleen,

Just found this forum and am so tickled.  I recently finished "Turn A Square" as a gift for my boss who is retiring at year end.  I made it in his college colors of black and gold, with Cascade 220 as the black base, and Brown Sheep Worsted in the gold stripes.  I started the stripe a few rows higher and made them a little wider in between so it wouldn't look like a bumble bee!  I think it turned out great, and I learned a lot.  Have not striped much, especially with knitting in the round.  Think I'll try some socks now!  Thanks for the inspiration.  I want to do a couple more hats and bust my stash some more!  I've got photos posted on Ravelry, btw.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
facelikefizz wrote
on Dec 10, 2011 4:39 AM

I had already started this hat yesterday and then by chance found this KAL for it this morning! I tried doing jogless stripes using the method described in the link in the pattern (on socknitters.com - pulling up the stitch from below and knitting 2 together) but it looked horrible so I unravelled it all. I've now watched the video here and I'm going to give it another go by slipping the stitch.

I'm using Rowan Pure Wool Aran and Noro Silk Garden. It's for my 10 year old son. His current hat is too small and he's desperate for me to get this finished as it's so cold outside!

Rachel

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Sue@276 wrote
on Dec 10, 2011 10:22 AM

Hi Kathleen, now that I have found this knit along, I have printed the pattern out and will be going through my stash of singles. I have an idea that I will be using this Noro Silk Garden and a Cashmere that I got on E-bay with no band on it, just came in plastic bag. I will love to knit this and give as Christmas gift or if I don't make it by then it may become a New Years' gift.

I love Knitting Daily and want to thank you for all your hard work this year and others and wishing you and yours all the best for 2012! Keep those stitches coming and thanks for sharing all this wonderful fun stuff. There is plenty for beginners and that is what I like.

Happy Holidays

SUE

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Sue@276 wrote
on Dec 10, 2011 10:27 AM

Great JOB!!! I only hope that mine turns out as nice as this one of  yours did. You are doing great having just started to knit this year!! Keep up the great work and have a happy holiday! Keep knitting those wonderful hats, I am sure that your know many chilly heads that need heating up! Good practice too. I plan on starting on mine very soon.

great picture too!

again, great job

SUE

Page 2 of 4 (56 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS