The Official Forum for the TURN A SQUARE HAT KNIT-ALONG

This post has 55 Replies | 19 Followers rated by 3 users
Not Ranked
Posts 10
on Dec 10, 2011 11:27 AM

Hello,  I've been wanting to try this pattern for awhile, so I will be knitting one of these in Paton's classic wools to be donated through Wool-Aid, my online and Ravelry knitting group that makes wool hats, socks, sweaters, etc. for needy children in cold places around the world.  Hats are always high on the list of desired items.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
on Dec 10, 2011 11:30 AM

Sarah, very nicely done hat!  The colors are so complimentary.  Congratulations on mastering the dpns!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
bevland wrote
on Dec 10, 2011 7:31 PM

I have knit several of these hats for Christmas gifts this year, I have the final one on my needles right now - great KAL. Here are 2 of them.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Dec 11, 2011 12:29 AM

I made this with a Red Heart self-striping Zebra print (did not do the stripes as written or jogless joining because I made it for my 5-year-old, who chose the yarn) and I love it except for where the decreases join.  There seem to big gaps on the diagonals of the square top and in the very center.  I've only been knitting a few years, so I might be doing something wrong.  Any thoughts on tightening things up if I do it again?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
dkbc52 wrote
on Dec 13, 2011 8:17 AM

What a fun project this was! Nice hat and easy.  Next time I'll add the stripes.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bren Boone wrote
on Dec 13, 2011 11:38 AM

Oh fun fun!  I'll join along on this one!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
PattyD@2 wrote
on Dec 13, 2011 12:46 PM

Hi All, I think I might join you on this one. My husband needs one for sure!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
on Dec 14, 2011 12:23 PM

diaperchangindaddy, you may be getting "ladders" from using dpns.  If that's the case, try give your yarn an extra tug when you switch from one needle to the next.  (love your name!)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Dec 14, 2011 1:17 PM

Do join - it's a fun knit!  Just finished.  I used some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino from my stash and some Noro Silk Garden.  Am happy with the result.  Jeanie

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Amimasu wrote
on Dec 14, 2011 4:52 PM

Regarding the loose stitches, I agree with the necessity to tug a bit on the first stitch(es) when turning the corner on dpns.  However, big gaps occurred for me because I forgot about the necessity to knit a round between decrease rounds! I had to rip back quite a ways...

Also, I found that there was a bit of an art to tightening up the yarn when carrying yarn up from stripes, but since you didn't do stripes this time, that's not applicable.

Can someone address my earlier question, please? --

When carrying yarn up when doing stripes, is it recommended to catch the unused color of yarn at every round, or is once every two or three rounds enough?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Dec 15, 2011 9:57 AM

I just caught the yarn on the first round of the color. Jeanie

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Dec 16, 2011 5:03 PM

Nice job. I will be joining the KAL as soon as I finish a neck warmer.  Don' t know what I have in my stash but hope to find something in gray worsted. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Dec 18, 2011 8:52 AM

Thanks and good luck finding some yarn in your stash!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Deadoc wrote
on Dec 18, 2011 4:34 PM

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Knittybug wrote
on Dec 19, 2011 4:10 AM

Finally got this done a last Friday, but haven't taken any good pictures of it....  This is one from my phone.

I ended up using Lion Brand Wool-ease because I have so much of it and wanted to have a little fun with the stripes.  The Husband weighed in on the "pattern" of stripes and I did end up having to go back and tighten up one of the rows... sometimes I just shouldn't knit while watching TV...   Hopefully blocking will help...

now to finish the last few projects on my Christmas knit list!

Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

Page 3 of 4 (56 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS