How do I keep a loom knitted scarf from curling.. . .

This post has 3 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Dec 19, 2011 9:05 AM

Hi! I have an oval loom that I've begun a scarf on (I'm new to knitting of any kind). I am knitting the scarf down one side, NOT all the way around. It is curling around every edge. Is there a way I can needle stitch something around the edges to keep it lying flat or anything I can do to make it lie flat? I DO crochet so I was also wondering if maybe I could crochet an edge around it? Thank you in advance!!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,543
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
on Dec 27, 2011 3:07 PM

The fabric the loom is producing is probably stockinette stitch, and the nature of that stitch makes it curl at the edges, especially on a narrow piece like a scarf. Great that you crochet--doing a border will help, but the border will need to be about an inch wide on each side to combat the curling. And be sure and block your scarf with steam or get it totally wet and lay it flat to dry. Hope this helps, Kathleen

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Nov 3, 2013 1:53 PM

I do some loom knitting and what you're working on is a flat panel.  To stop the starting edge from curling, do what's called a chain cast on which is similar to a chain cast on using needles.  There are many different methods to executing the cast on, my suggestion is that find one that works best for you!  All will require a crochet hook.  Hope this helps!

Silver Leaf One

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Randee S wrote
on Aug 10, 2014 9:43 PM

I've tried the garter stitch for a couple of rows and it sort of works sometimes.  But here's what I do to make a matched edge on both ends of my loom knit item.  

Cast on and knit a couple of rows.  Knit first row, purl second row.   Mark your spot here.  Then knit your scarf (or whatever) as you normally would to the end.  Bind off.  (I use the method in Martha Stewart video on You Tube ..sorry I don't know how to link it).  After your scarf is off the loom and you have that curled beginning edge, unravel it back those first couple of rows to get to your marked row/ spot.  I slowly unravel it and when it gets close, run a different colored yarn on a tapestry needle through the loops as they come undone to keep the loops from slipping.   When you get the unraveling done, load it back on your loom from this end.  Pull out that scrap yarn that was holding the loops open.  At this point, just bind it off as you did on the other end.  If you're doing stripes or certain patterns, you may need to adjust by adding back a row to balance your pattern before binding off.  

This may sound complicated, but it's really not ... just wordy in explaining it.  It really keeps the edge from curling and your edges match exactly, unlike using other cast on/offs.  

If you're working a on a round loom, be sure to keep your right/wrong sides in the correct position.  I screwed up one of mine by switching it when reloading and it didn't look good.  (I didn't notice it on a flat panel..looked fine.). After trying everything I could find, I sort of winged it and came up with this solution. It works best for me and I'm happier with the result.   Most of what I found said to garter stitch the edge rows but I found that I had to do several and that distorted my pattern and the look too much.  This way, you don't have all that excess.

Hope this makes sense.   Try it out...I think you'll like the results.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS