How do I keep a loom knitted scarf from curling.. . .

This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Dec 19, 2011 9:05 AM

Hi! I have an oval loom that I've begun a scarf on (I'm new to knitting of any kind). I am knitting the scarf down one side, NOT all the way around. It is curling around every edge. Is there a way I can needle stitch something around the edges to keep it lying flat or anything I can do to make it lie flat? I DO crochet so I was also wondering if maybe I could crochet an edge around it? Thank you in advance!!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,467
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Dec 27, 2011 3:07 PM

The fabric the loom is producing is probably stockinette stitch, and the nature of that stitch makes it curl at the edges, especially on a narrow piece like a scarf. Great that you crochet--doing a border will help, but the border will need to be about an inch wide on each side to combat the curling. And be sure and block your scarf with steam or get it totally wet and lay it flat to dry. Hope this helps, Kathleen

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Nov 3, 2013 1:53 PM

I do some loom knitting and what you're working on is a flat panel.  To stop the starting edge from curling, do what's called a chain cast on which is similar to a chain cast on using needles.  There are many different methods to executing the cast on, my suggestion is that find one that works best for you!  All will require a crochet hook.  Hope this helps!

Silver Leaf One

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS